Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: rio mulege
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 05:56 PM
rio mulege

well the clean up is slow but sure, some are walking away. i have another question as far as "the rebuilding on a flood plane"goes. why is the mangrove not only allowed to consume the river and restrict the water flow, but is protected, not managed, totally protected. it is not an uncommon site to see a local fisherman dragging his panga through the mud to get it to water deep enough to float it trying to earn a living. now if a river cant hold 6" of water how much run off would it take to reach flood stage ? i think not much. why not manage the mangrove and dredge the river making it not only safer, but usable. it not only would help the flooding problem, but in my opinion, would boost the local economy.

Want what you have
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 06:46 PM

I agree with you one hundred percent Marv. Cut down one of those suckers and they'll hit you with a huge fine and maybe even deport you.. How are you doing Marv? Did OB John get flooded? I don't think he did with Marty.

At a feast of egos, everyone leave\'s hungry...
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 07:13 PM

The river will not flood less if you destroy the mangroves -- in most cases, destroying mangroves just leads to erosion of shores or banks.

Mangroves are nurseries for fisheries. Thes are nurseries for fish, and ecosystems for numerous inter-related fish/bird/bugs/etc. Therefore, protecting mangroves is important to the local fishing economy and tourism economy. Protection of mangroves is important -- in many places in Mexico, developers blindly destroyed the mangroves, filled the areas, and created sterile shorelines,... admitedly, the sterile shorelines were great for floating on a raft and siping a mai-tai, but the fisheries were harmed, leading to poor sportfishing, poor food fisheries, loss of wildlife, etc.

It would be wiser to encourage rebuilding in areas outside of flood plains and away from shorelines.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 07:18 PM

I don't know how his house fared, but apparently OB John was doing rescue duty the next morning. I talked to Ken and Chris who own the Cuesta Real and whose house is between the river and the motel. They were driven up onto their roof during the night by the rising waters and remained there hoping their house qould hold through the night until the next morning at 9:30 when OB John retrieved them in his boat.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 10:12 PM

I was wondering the same thing this morning, Marv. One would think that dredging out the river would create a watercourse that would hold more volume before overflowing. Not sure about the mangroves. They are a part of the natural ecology and there are probably more reasons to leave them than to cut them out. They would probably grow back if cut. Even though fish live there, they are not edible because the river is so poluted. However, dredging would help the local fishing economy by making it easier for them to navagate to deeper, cleaner waters in the Sea of Cortez.
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 12:31 AM

The Mangrooves are also filtering the water, which can't take place by removing them, AND when the flow is faster that can't take place either, so the Pollution would INCREASE in the River and SOC.
The ECO-System (Wildlife) would change dramatically therefore.
And I think that the Mangrooves are part of the charme of the specific spot of Mulege. Thats MHO.

mulege marv
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 04:53 AM
maybe you you didnt read it right

i did not suggest destroying the mangroves, and i knew i would hear the eco thing. i suggested a vegitation managment program to control them. i understand they serv a purpose and are important. but if not managed they will eventually take over the river and rio mulege will become just a marsh (which it almost was before the flood), until another flood, that will thin them out, along with everything else. and as far as filtering the water, i believe a water treatment system would probably be more effective. just a thought, but i also know this is mexico and thats why im here

manage mangroves
manage depth = less flooding + usable waterway

just my opinion

[Edited on 9-18-2006 by mulege marv]

[Edited on 9-18-2006 by mulege marv]

Want what you have
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 05:34 AM

Did'nt mean that there shouldn't be done ANYTHING, just worried if not done properly, and by experts - then it might worsen the situation, etc....
Managing can be understood in many ways.
Had to see here ( Austria) around, WHAT degrading of rivers can do - believe me, we had afterwards more troubles then before on some places.
Nevermind, I'm not a treehugger as such, but as a diver I'm of course concerned about water AND environment. And Fishery and all that comes with it.
No offense taken, marv :biggrin:

[Edited on 18-9-2006 by FARASHA]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 06:30 AM

I doubt that the mangroves are "damming" the river to an appreciable amount. The mangroves probably do hold the bank and prevent it from eroding.

People the world over would be smarter to not build in flood plains, and after floods not rebuild in flood plains.

Don't blame the natural vegetation in the flood zone -- encourage people to not rebuild in the flood zone.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 07:10 AM

Imagine the river is at sea level, dredging it would deepen the channel, but not lower the water level. Too much rain and a major flood event would still take place with or without the channel or mangroves. It would probably drain off quicker. Might leave behind less silt.
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 09:30 AM
huh !

they do help the banks from eroding, but im not refering to the mangroves along the banks, im refering to the ones in the middle of the river that have held the silt and have now formed large islands. do you think large islands might have a damming effect on the river ? :light::light::light:
and i wasnt blaming the natural vegitation on the flood, just looking for solutions to lessen the devistation. why is there a dept. of water resourses in the states ? levees, bypasses, dams should all be done away with ? seems those were all solutions to flooding . last time i was there, there were alot of waterfront homes in the states ? or am i wrong again ?

ah never mind, do nothing, dont build on a flood plane, move the city of new orleans, evacuate florida , move everyone to were the people are smarter !

Want what you have
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 09:39 AM
sorry

people here are sifting through the mud trying to save what little they have left. and for some suggest we are "not smart" for living here, made me tight in the jaws !

Want what you have
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 09:39 AM

You can build on a flood plane! Build on pilings that are higher than the flood levels. The pilings need to be strong enough to withstand the impact of water, debris. etc. Have friends that lived for years in houses on stilts. Came and went by boat for weeks at a time. When the flood subsided they reurned to life as normal. No loss of property. No damage.It's doable.:bounce:
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

puzzled.gif posted on 9-18-2006 at 09:44 AM

To move all people that would be really over the top.
I think no one has to move to anywhere - and maybe experts should know a better answer then we all together here.
This is just tossing ideas and exchanging experience, picking each others brains. AND MOST OF ALL. Venting our concerns, to prevent any losses next time. WE HAVE BEEN WORRIED and now we want you all safe next time. RIGHT? :yes::yes::yes:

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 10:06 AM

dont need rocket science just a civil engineer build
a big cam up stream
it would help the flooding and provide water for the town
the fresh water running into the rio might help keep it clean

jerry and judi
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 10:08 AM

that a---------- dam------------ not a cam lol im neather a rocket scientist or a civil engineer

jerry and judi
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 10:09 AM
im done

good bye !
this is a good forum for people who dont live here.
it offers a lot of advise to people planning to visit
or "newbies" as they are called on here.
now i cant speak for everyone else, but the last thing i need
is advise from someone who is not here and hasnt seen it.
ideas are good, opinions that are insulting are not. and i might just be thin skinned right now (huh, wonder why ?)but i am done here, thanks,
have fun yall ! i plan too !

mulege marv is taking his toys and STAYING home !

Want what you have
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 10:28 AM

Marv! Don't leave mad. Wasn't my intention to belittle or insult. Have walked away from one disaster with only the clothes on my back and have survived more hurricanes than I can remember. Believe me. I fully understand your feelings, would probably feel the same if I were there. It'll all work out. You've just got to take it one day at a time. Good luck. Know it's not easy.
cat127
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 10:39 AM

Marv -

Please stay! I have watched your posts and most everytime they have given me more insight into what we are stepping into. I can totally understand if you dont have the time !! right now to explain simple ideas to us newbies.... but come back when you do, Please!

-Cat

Fate Smiles as Destiny laughs!
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 01:00 PM

Lencho has the right idea!!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.