Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Scary Baja?
Ranger Rich

Mood: No malo

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 08:47 PM
Scary Baja?

How scary is it getting? I have been a member of this board for a while and I have gotten lots of useful info here over the years. Yeah I don’t post much because I tend to sit back and try to learn from the folks who have things to talk about ( I let my wife post our trip logs). I try to keep an open mind and stay out of judgment even when things get sort of silly due to the “peanut gallery” chiming in with irrelevant chatter (you know who you are). I suppose they need to be heard and so it is ok by me (although I do find myself saying “huh?” sometimes) but there is a sense of community here that keeps me coming back. What I am wondering is does the recent increase in violence that we have been hearing so much about lately mean that we need to do things differently than what those of us who make regular trips south of the border have always done? I make a yearly trip south each winter and spend a month or so just hanging out and decompressing. Other than the very few times I have driven after dark (can be counted without running out of fingers on one hand) I have pretty much set myself a list of rules to follow and by doing so I have yet to have any real trouble during my many trips to Baja. In fact in all the years I have been going there the only person I have been really creeped out by was a drunken gringo at Cielito Lindo and that was years ago. I tend to not do anything I would not do anywhere else and that seems to have been enough to make each trip trouble free. I am pretty careful but not paranoid when in Mexico. I do have two “perros bravos” and since I am a forest ranger in real life I always carry a can of Grizzly spray (good for man or beast). I stay aware of what I am doing and where I am just like I do in the States so I figure that is as good as one can do unless things have gotten so rough that I need to refigure my plans for this winter? I see things on the L.A. news every night that are as bad or worse than what is being reported from Baja and it is every night too. Just wondering what others are thinking.

[Edited on 9-18-2006 by Ranger Rich]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 08:57 PM

We had a great time this weekend... But, that's nothing new for me...

Going to Baja is a special thing and the hint of danger or fear of the unknown or uncontrollable is part of the excitement.

Crime happens everywhere... What is life about : staying secure and protected locked up indoors OR getting out where nature and man meet face to face, where memories are made...?

Viva Baja!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 09:05 PM

ALL RIGHT...WHICH ONE OF YOU GUYS WAS THIS???

Quote:
Originally posted by Ranger Rich

In fact in all the years I have been going there the only person I have been really creeped out by was a drunken gringo at Cielito Lindo and that was years ago.

LOL :lol: :spingrin: :rolleyes:

AMO

[Edited on 9-18-2006 by AmoPescar]
Ranger Rich

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 09:13 PM

I would not expect you to have anything but fun David and I hear you on the attraction of the uncertainty factor.

I once asked my brother if he wanted to go to Baja with me. His answer was "Oh no. I heard they steal cars there". I told him he should never go anywhere where "they" steal cars. He lives in Southern California.
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 9-17-2006 at 10:36 PM

ON A MORE SERIOUS NOTE...

From what I read in your post, it seems as though you are probably doing everything RIGHT. You've set yourself some rules to follow, and it sounds as if they're sensible, well thought out rules. I'm sure your profession has taught you to be careful, and as you said, aware of your surroundings.

There indeed has been lots of scarey things going on in Baja. I'm pretty certain that some, who have traveled there in the past, may never go again. But personally, I don't believe that we're in that much more danger than before. As you inferred in your second post, cars can get stolen anywhere. And as we know, there's certainly a lot of deadly violence in L.A. and a lot of other places.

I think that the answer is to go ahead and make your travel plans and enjoy your decompression time. BUT...be more careful than you were in the past. Be a little more aware, DO NOT drive at night, look over your shoulder a little more often, double check your rear view mirror a little more often. Do whatever you feel you need to do to feel safe. However, don't let it make you PARANOID to the point that you can't enjoy your trip!

As for me, I have had very few problems in Baja, because, like you, I have been very careful. I always try to be as safe and as sensible as possible. A couple of times when I've broken my rules, I have paid the price.

So stick with your rules and enjoy the Baja!

Michael

[Edited on 9-18-2006 by AmoPescar]
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 12:20 AM

Well, CNN must be really driving the story home. We just had our first ever Baja caravan guest cancel out because he was afraid of the "horrible" violence in Mexico. He quoted gunplay in Nuevo Laredo and pickpockets in the big demonstration in Mexico City as reasons he would fear for his life in Baja Sur.

I figured what's the point of trying to convince him - he lives in a suburb east of Los Angeles.
S'truth ...

:fire:

BTW:- The suburb of Vancouver I live in is the car-theft capital of Canada, but I still park in the Safway lot rather than staying home with nothing to eat.

[Edited on 9-18-2006 by Baja&Back]

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 05:38 AM

Had a visit from a friend I used to know years ago in Tripui, Escondido. She asked me about Loreto and stated that some of her friends mentioned the severe violence in this town, with fire fights downtown and several killings of police officers. When I told her that they were most likely talking about Nuevo Laredo,on the Texas border, she didn't quite believe me. Thought I was just downplaying the facts.
Folks, that's how some of this nonsense is started.:no::no::no::no:
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 06:32 AM

vandenburg
i was told the same story yesterday in oregon missed I.D. citys
but the bad news allway spreads fast

jerry and judi
osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 07:24 AM

I am certain that most of us have been exposed to these fear mongers and perveyors of misinformation whether it be out of ignorance or other motive. It should be one of our tenants to meet such of their ilk with our knowledge and experience. To that end this forum is a wonderful mechanism.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 08:43 AM

Baja scary????
Murder toll in Oakland this AM is 106 this year. Richmond, 80's I think.
San Francisco 50-60's. Plus San Jose, and the rest Bay area. Baja dangerous?:lol::lol::lol::lol:
I will take Baja any day.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ranger Rich
I always carry a can of Grizzly spray (good for man or beast). [Edited on 9-18-2006 by Ranger Rich]

What is Grizzly spray, how does it work, where to you buy something like this?

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Paladin
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 09:13 AM

Ranger Rick might not post often but when he does, I'll listen.

I'd feel safer in Baja Sur than than going to the South West part of Fresno. I worked for many years in Downtown Fresno and I always made sure I got my fanny out of there at night.

Now what I really would like to hear is more Gringos spread rumors on how unsafe etc etc it is down there...Maybe we can start the "don't drink the water" rumor???....they can stay in the US, I'm going South. There are thousands of Dorados with my name on them, there is a Panga that needs to be repatriated and I'm going to do what the boat tells me, he wants to go home, I might even start drinking again as I never said I was quiting world wide, I might even open my little business in Mulege, let's not forget how unsafe buying can be, steal my car??? AH shucks!! I'm still looking forward to turning my hide into lizard like quality.

Fear mongers and perveyors of misinformation are my friends
conquestkm
Junior Nomad

Mood: "I could have been a Rhodes Scholar, except for my grades."

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 10:05 AM

We live in a whole diferent world today and it sure helps to just be more concerned about what you do and where you go. But you just can't stick your head in the ground and hope all the bad things disapear .You can not allow fear mongers to run your life

Conquestkm
SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 11:08 AM

Yes, I guess it is scary....makes me sad.....

http://www.newspapertree.com/view_article.sstg?c=af68358ae1b...
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SDRonni
Yes, I guess it is scary....makes me sad.....

http://www.newspapertree.com/view_article.sstg?c=af68358ae1b...

WOW that might be getting close to California drug deaths.:?:

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
the baja chihuahua

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 11:34 AM
oh...just saying hello....its been a while

:spingrin::lol:
Ranger Rich

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 11:48 AM

Quote:
What is Grizzly spray, how does it work, where to you buy something like this?

It is a kind of pepper spray. Comes in a bear sized can. I have used it on bears and it is very effective. This is one place to get it: http://www.udap.com/product.htm

\"Reality is an illusion, albeit a very persistant one\" - Albert Einstein
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-18-2006 at 12:00 PM

Been down on the back streets, off the main drag. Here and there. Want some drugs? Want a little loving? It's all there! Haven't been attacked when I declined. Just lucky? These shoot-outs and killings are battles for what you might call a "Franchise". There's always gonna be some idiots running around messing with mom and pop. It's bad for business if you scare away potential customers.:fire:
PaulN

[*] posted on 9-19-2006 at 06:31 PM

My wife and I got back from our first trip recently. We spent time in both the cities and away from the main areas and can say that at no time did anything sketchy go on. In fact we are going back for a longer trip on thanksgiving. Loved it! :coolup:
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2006 at 09:43 PM

" they were most likely talking about Nuevo Laredo". I spend at least half the year in Loreto, BCS. While it is not crime free, it is very safe. I would allow my wife to walk downtown at midnight. I feel safer there than I do here in Upland, California, the City of Gracious Living. Yes, the border towns are somewhat dangerous right now....as the drug cartels are fighting for territory. The Mexican Gov't claims it is doing what it can. Mexico is losing tons of tourist dollars right now. But remember, just because South Los Angeles is bad doesn't mean all of Southern California is bad. No matter where you go in the world, you must be aware of your surroundings. This is not the same world we grew up in in the 40's and 50's. Go to Loreto and leave your troubles behind. Don't punish all Mexicans for the actions of a very few.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.