BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: another EL NINO SEASON ?
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 02:39 AM

All of the Information given from Experience should be Collected and used in your Travels and Studies in the Future.

I would think that El Nino is once again on us. During the Last El Nino, Marlin we seen and Caught off of Seattle.
While building and Living at Rancho Sonrisa, my Wife and I keep a Daily Record of the Tempeture, The Low was 48 Degrees- The High 96 Degrees, this did not take in to Account "Wind Chill" as we lived on the Beach and somtimes the North Wind Blows would feel a Mite Cooler.

My Wife and I were "Skinny Dipping" on the Pacific one Nite when the South Swell overcame the Beach, we Woke with our Truck in 2 Feet of Water{That was the same year that Manhatten Beach had large Southern Swells

The Fish are a Key Factor;
The Birds and Animals{Watch a Change in Their Normal Habits} such as Squirels who will start hording early.

The year of 1998, I caught 2 Sea Catfish in Loreto Bay{ How many on this Board have caught Sea Catfish and when ??}..

Remember that NOAA is operated by People who make mistakes in Judgement.

Skeet/Loreto
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 03:08 AM

Thank you Skeet for sharing your observations.

Did you record Airtemps only Skeet? Or also Watertemps?
Significant changes must be there too.
Have this seen in the Atlantic happen 97/98 also.
Also changes in major currents happened.
Thats why fish turns up on different (unusual) places, or seem to disappear from the usual hunting grounds.
Interesting that you noticed squirrels hoarding earlier.

Is Birds migration also affected?
Reptiles and Amphibeans maybe? - do they start hibernating earlier/later ??
It is for me fascinating how nature tells us. We just need to learn to SEE and UNDERSTAND.
Could help us adjust our own Life. And prepare for it, not to be taken by surprise, by an upcoming desaster.
Its wise to look beyond our Horizont.

Previous to Earthquakes MANY animals act different and make a run, or hide on a safe place.
And that applies for sure also to such a phenomenon as El Nino/ el Nina.

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
The year of 1998, I caught 2 Sea Catfish in Loreto Bay{ How many on this Board have caught Sea Catfish and when ??}..
Skeet/Loreto

I caught a couple, two years ago, I think, from my kayak at Juncalito. Chili Sea Catfish, aka Chihuil Sea Catfish. Caught them in the bay, over the sand bottom.

From Gene Kira's site:
http://www.mexfish.com/fish/cscat/cscat.htm
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2006 at 01:57 AM

Skeet and Don: how far off, have those sea catfish been, from their usual places?
Or do I understand that they are NEVER ANYWHERE around SOC ??
ANY IDEAS ??

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2006 at 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by FARASHA
Skeet and Don: how far off, have those sea catfish been, from their usual places?
Or do I understand that they are NEVER ANYWHERE around SOC ??
ANY IDEAS ??

This is what Gene Kira's site says:

"In Mexican waters, the Chili Sea Catfish is found along the Pacific coast of the Baja California peninsula, throughout the Sea of Cortez, and along the coast of the mainland to Guatemala, and it also appears to be found around the oceanic islands."

So I don't see this fish as an indicator of warm water; actually catching one is an indicator that you are fishing in poor habitat for game fish. I caught them trolling in my kayak on my way to better spots.

As far as warm water/El Nino years go, this summer has been a classic. Albacore have avoided northern Baja and southern California, and are caught off Washington state. The San Diego boats are having a banner year catching Dorado on overnight boats. If the El Nino continues, other fish will move their range northward. Triggerfish off southern cal, maybe more exotic such as bluefin trevally or even rainbow runners may show up in the Sea of Cortez. On the other hand, California may see poor years for recruitment of cold water species like rockfish, which will add to the pressures to permanently close many of California's best fishing areas.
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2006 at 10:06 AM

Thanks Don - that gave me a good overview and did go as far as Washington. It's really fascinating, and I'll appeciate to hear about any other unusual phenomenon over the next couple month.:D:yes:

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2006 at 01:15 PM

There are many things that we can observe around us that can indicate the Future:
Such as the actions of all Birds and fFsh at the time of an up coming Pressure change.
My Mother was able to feel the change of Pressure before a Storm was anywhere near, guess she passed it to me in the Genes.
Horses are Animals that Display a change in Pressure many hours before as is felt by Humans.
Squirlls can be noticed "Hording Earlier when a Long Winter is expected.

The movement of certain Types of Fish can also be observed, just from the surface to 35 Feet by Snorkling.

Don, if you get a chance next Spring, go up to Del Efonso Island and observed the Bird Life.
It is amazing where the small birds are kept on the Lower slopes, while the Larger Birds get the Higher Vantage Points, eggs are even larger.
There is an Abundance of Eggs,which I would collect an take to my Mexicano Friends who did not have boats.They are much to "Fishee" for my Taste.
Farasha; There was at one time a Student from New Mexico University, that did a 3 Year Study of the Pelicans on Coronado Island for his Doctorate.
I forget his name but you may be able to find it through the University. It was done in the late 70', early 80's.

Skeet
jettygirl
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2006 at 08:26 AM
Santa Cruz Sentinel Story

Take a look at www.santacruzsentinel.com
They have an interesting story in todays paper ( 9-26-2006) titled Mystery in Monterey Bay.
It talks about "upwellings" and the effect it has on marine life as well as the birds.
For the moment they are calling it an El Coyote, the trickster, but are also leaning towards the lack of "upwelling" being a part of El Nino as well as climate change.

Interesting topic.
Enjoy

(the online story title is Rare Ocean Pattern Leaves Fish and Birds Hungry)

[Edited on 9-26-2006 by jettygirl]

\" If your lucky enough to live by the sea .....
Your lucky enough\"
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2006 at 09:29 AM

THANK YOU jettygirl, found it an interesting article, it supports many peoples thoughts that El Nino is up front.
El Coyote - the trickster - reminds me of Navajo or Hopi stories.
Have heard about this El Coyote phenomenon - but have not found any in-depht readings on it. If someone does - drop a line please!!
Nice that others are interested in this topic too.

FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2006 at 09:26 AM

After reading about the RED TIDE on the red tide thread, I wonder if this has been in the past ALWAYS been associated with EL NINO.
Has someone information where to find some readings on the red tide??

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2006 at 11:34 AM

Farasha;
During my years on the Sea, i observed the Red Tide several different years. I cannot tell you the exact years, However if you go on to the Sea Of Cortez Sailing Website you might get some first Hand
stories and Dates.
There is one who keeps his Vessel in San Carlos, lives in Leadville, Colo. Spends his Winters Sailing The Sea. Vessel name"Blue Chablias". Real nice People.
Skeet
Halboo
Nomad

Mood: Bohemian

[*] posted on 9-30-2006 at 09:03 AM
El Nino

When there are dorado caught off So Cal in July and WAHOO caught off Colonet in September you can bet your last peso there's an El Nino event in progress.
My 2 cents.

HF
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2006 at 02:31 PM

Thanks for your 2cents HF; yeah we all think that El NINO is due.
And did you yourself catch those fish in unusual places??Any other observations??
BTW welcome to the BOARD!!
Farasha

Thanks SKEEt - will try to remember this guy with the Sailing Boat you mentioned, I wonder if he takes people on board??

Halboo
Nomad

Mood: Bohemian

[*] posted on 9-30-2006 at 04:50 PM

Thanks for the welcome, I've been lurking here off and on for ages; just never got around to posting .....
Yeah, I got into a few dodos and smallish yft up here this year.
I lived my whole life in So Cal, west o' the 5 :cool: and if you fish / surf etc. an area for 40+ years you'll hopefully get a handle on weather patterns.

Halboo
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 12:46 PM

HALBOO-Jeeze 40+ years in BAJA??whow, sounds you're a Methusalem!!:biggrin:
Welcome to the CLUB, the Club of the UHU's -Under Hundred year of age.
I have never been to the 5:dudette:, Is there also a nice diving?? I'm a DIVE ADDICT!! I mean nice Drop offs,Deep Walls, etc.with Big Game?
Farasha

spike
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 03:03 PM

When I travel to Baja it is mostly to windsurf, and when there is a El Nino, I end up doing a lot mountain biking. In "La Nina" it is much windier...... Now where did I put that bike box?
Spike
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 07:46 PM

Well, the water was 77 degrees a couple days ago which is super warm for here...so the yellow tail have retreated to deeper cooler water now. We're kinda worried about an El Niņo here as it trashes the abalone and the lobster don't do so well either although this first week has been excellent. I sure like snorkeling without a wetsuit though!!! We sure could use some rain this winter as well...we put a new roof on 2 years ago after all that rain for several winters and it hasn't rained since!!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 08:01 AM

Good one TT, weather is one of only things things tha we havent screwed up yet, Mark Twain said" everybody complains about the weather but no one ever does anything about it"
I say bring on the whole family!
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 12:14 PM

SHARI - THANKS for INFO,what are the usual temp's you have over there??In this time of the year.
As Yellowtail has dissappeared - any other fish instead turned up wo isn't around usually??
Never been on that side of the BAJA. Except for a short trip to Magdalena B.
Should really do that next time around. Sounds and Looks great from what I gather.

chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spike
When I travel to Baja it is mostly to windsurf, and when there is a El Nino, I end up doing a lot mountain biking. In "La Nina" it is much windier...... Now where did I put that bike box?
Spike

Good on ya! Spike thats the key to a succesfull trip!
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.