BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: What's the craziest thing you ever did in Baja?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 10:04 PM
What's the craziest thing you ever did in Baja?

Okay, we've got a collective 1,000 years of Baja travel here. I want to hear some funny campfire stories!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 10:15 PM

I went on a 4WD road through the San Juans with my friend Andrew. We left the wives to take nature photos. Once we got way down the road, a truck full of men guarding their "Drip Irrigation Fields" appeared causing Suzanne and Gretchen to have to hide in the bushes. Andrew and I returned 15 min. later and heard the amazing story. 30 min. later while splashing in a waterfall near the dirt road, the same men reappeared (5 or so in the pickup bed), but were greeted by Andrew and I waving at the men, frustrating them enough to leave immediately.

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 11:07 PM

Bought a house on the rio....:wow::lol:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2006 at 11:42 PM

Hey, that beats definatley Ken's story Corky!!:lol::rolleyes:
Good to see your humor is still there! :biggrin:

FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 01:30 AM

Craziest thing in BAJA was for ME to collect once a week (or so)SCORPIONS in the house I stayed in last time.
Put them in a tupperware box and took close-up's.
Then releasing them soemwhere in the wild.

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 05:25 AM

Here is a reprint of a story I posted a while back. This happened 3 years ago. When we got to El Requeson last year, my wife met some people on the beach that told her the story of the crazy gringo with the shovel. I am famous !!

Picture this;
A somewhat overweight, gray-bearded gringo awakens in his camper to the sound of his wife saying that someone is outside and she thinks they stole our gas can....

Picture this;
A somewhat overweight, gray-bearded gringo in night shorts, pajama top and slippers running (well kinda) half way around El Requeson carrying a folding camp shovel....

Picture this;
A somewhat overweight, gray-bearded, out-of-breath gringo stops and realizes "What the heck am I doing ?" as the three banditos notice him approaching. They jump into their pick-up and speed by (could have hit me but probably realized that my bulk would damge their little truck) and received a camp shovel in the windshield for their trouble. Luckily, they elected to keep going, so there is still a somewhat overweight, gray-bearded gringo to tell the story !!

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 07:24 AM
I ran a road block in El Rosario

But I don't have the story on my computer anymore. Maybe Bedman has it?

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 07:32 AM

Drove at night once...
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 08:03 AM

What happens in Baja stays in Baja...
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron

Hahahaahahaaaaaaaaaa :tumble::spingrin:

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 09:23 AM

Lorenzo de Baja and I hiked up to the Agua Caliente/ Valle Chico hot springs Dec. 31, 2000 and came across a large 'drip irrigation project' that we called a 'cilantro farm' LOL!

The two workers tending to the operation (a mile up a canyon from where a 4WD could drive) did not kill us, as we first feared... but did ask if we could take them to San Felipe that evening for the New Years Eve fiesta!!!

Photos at: http://www.vivabaja.com/baja_2001

[Edited on 9-21-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Lorenzo de Baja and I hiked up to the Agua Caliente/ Valle Chico hot springs Dec. 31, 2000 and came across a large 'drip irrigation project' that we called a 'cilantro farm' LOL!

The two workers tending to the operation (a mile up a canyon from where a 4WD could drive) did not kill us, as we first feared... but did ask if we could take them to San Felipe that evening for the New Years Eve fiesta!!!

Photos at: http://www.vivabaja.com/baja_2001

[Edited on 9-21-2006 by David K]

Been wondering what I would say if I did the same. I was thinking "Nice parsley patch" , but I sure cilantro would work better.:lol:

[Edited on 9-21-2006 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 10:06 AM
I agree with Mexitron-------------

----------what happens in Baja, stays in Baja :lol:
Axel
Junior Nomad

Mood: In a hurry to get nowhere

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 10:50 AM

1. Took my ex-brother in law and his buddies on a surf trip. They were Navy seals just back from Desert Storm. They brought there guns and attitudes with them. Absolute nightmare.

2. Drove over what looked to be dry mud. I noticed that I was bogging down so I went straight for safety. My knuckle head friend decided to play in it. We spent most of the day getting him out.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 01:41 PM
Go down (and back up) 'The Widowmaker'!

Baja Mur was on a motorcycle and I was on a quad, May 1, 1999... Pretty scary stuff...

Coming back up, we both wiped out... got bloody on the rocks!

I couldn't wait to go back... it was awesome!

Doing it in my Tacoma was much better than on the quad!

Here is a photo of Chicago Ross's Jeep follwing me down, about where my blood was shed 4 years before!

This is just over one mile before reaching Mision Santa Maria, between Santa Ynez and Gonzaga Bay...

My truck at the mission...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dravnx
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 04:01 PM

Was camping on the beach at Juncalito one year with my buddy Jed. Spent a few days fishing, diving, drinking etc. This guy John shows up, sets up camp next to us and we kind of adopts him. He doesn't have much food so we end up feeding him for a few days. One night he runs into town and comes back with the cheapest tequila money can buy. As a result, I did what is now called sand swimming, thats trying to crawl on all fours in the sand without any brain function. Fast forward 5 years, same beach, same date (New Years Eve) and me and Jed now have our wives with us. We're sitting around the campfire, dinner is just about ready to be served and Jed is telling the story about John, cheap takillya and sand swimming when up walks someone into our camp and says "Hey hows everyone doing"? Not too strange as it is NYE in Juncalito. The stranger walks closer to the fire and now I can see who it is.......John. This time we supply the tequila and we all have a great laugh and a good meal to celebrate the new year.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 04:14 PM

Like Sharks, I got my feet wet in realestate en el rio de Mulege. I'll be there next week to play in the mud baths.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 04:36 PM

It's a 3-way tie between
...the time I noticed the military was scoping us while we were kayaking
...the time we were getting our kidneys readjusted hurtling down an arroyo washboard shortcut with an intoxicated taxi driver
...the first time I broke the margarita mind barrier.
:o:lol::o:lol::o:lol:

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron

I've got one of those...and it happened in front of a Tijuana cop! Ppl still can't believe it when I tell them...:lol:
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 9-21-2006 at 06:40 PM
Picked up a Mexican hitchiker

and had him get in the back of my Toyota p/u with a shell had him climb in the back because the front seat was full of stuff. Down the road I looked in the rearview mirror and saw him putting his rifle back together (guess it was in the sack he carried. Anyway, I slammed on the brakes, jumped out, grabbed the barrel and hauled his ass out and broke the rifle down again and hauled ass.
That was back in about 1970 and I never picked up anybody again--in Baja or anywhere else.

Yeah! she still be fun!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.