Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: passport vs visa
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2003 at 02:57 PM
passport vs visa

Some friends going to Baja with us have asked if having a passport will still require them to "buy" a $15 or $18 visa at the border. I didn't know the answer. Thanks
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2003 at 03:20 PM
Visa

A VISA is necessary if you are going below Ensenada or spending more than 72 hours in Mexico. You passport will be needed to obtain the VISA. A Visa can be purchased right at the boarder as you cross and is no big deal. A passport is handy coming back accross the boarder but is not necessary. A certified birth certificate or passport is necessary to obtain the VISA. Visa's can be good up to six months and are for people visiting Mexico but not renting or leaving things such as furniture in Mexico. Hope this answers your questions.:biggrin:

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2003 at 07:24 PM

The only time I have ever been asked for a visa is at the check point at G Negro and they have the forms there. Once filled out the forms have to be validated (paid for) at any bank. You may be asked for it at the check point when returning home, or maybe not sometimes they just waive you by.

If you are not traveling south of G Negro dont worry about it.

After many trips south of G Negro I have only been asked for a visa 1 time, of course I didnt have one but it was no biggie the fine (mordida) was only $20.

Work is just something I do to keep me buzy between baja trips!
Bagheera

[*] posted on 12-11-2003 at 07:29 PM

American citizens do not need a passport to acquire a visa (or tourist card, as they are often called). All you need is proof os US citizenship, such as a US driver's license or military id (ie, the same type of identification you need to get back across the border). Also, while technically you are required to have a passport when traveling south of Ensanada, authorities will almost never ask to see it. They generally will only ask to see your visa.

While it's a good idea to have a passport whenever you are out of the country, you won't really need it in Baja.
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 12-11-2003 at 08:12 PM
Passport vs visa etc

Wouldn't it be just great if We required Mexicans coming here to BUY a tourist permit or visa to go more than 72 miles north of the border?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!
gansita

Mood: Planning planni

[*] posted on 12-12-2003 at 11:48 AM
tourist visas for the u.s.

actually, mexicans do pay for tourist visas. the u.s. charges $100. plus one must show a whole list of paperwork.
and nowadays, one needs a tourist visa even if just stopping over in the u.s. on a flight somewhere else. if you don't have a tourist visa for the u.s. when going to europe, for example, you will be sent back.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2003 at 05:57 PM

a licence to drive is NOT proof of US citizanship.....a voter registration card is...with this a licence (since it has a picture) will do the trick for you.....although, more and more the officals are saying "next time you will need a passport" and "I'll let you in just this once" I always carry my passport, but, at this point, if I didn't need it for other travel I wouldn't get one just for Baja.
jandtbaja

Mood: Up beat & Baja

thumbup.gif posted on 12-12-2003 at 07:15 PM
US PassPort

The latest is that the banks are asking to see your US Passport when you trade US $ for Pasos. I would suggest using the many ATM's that are now available in Baja. Loreto's bank has one which I have used for several years and never have had a problem. The instructions are in Spanish and in English and print a recipt.
bajajoe

[*] posted on 12-12-2003 at 09:34 PM
visa vs passport

When I started visiting Baja in 1992 my travel agent told me "take your birth certificate. I read I only needed a driver's license and a voters card. Every time, she said take a birth certificate. A few years ago, I called Mexicana Airlines, and they said "take your birth certificate. I told them I took my voter's card and had no problems. They said the law changed that year, while we were in La Paz, and I should have at least my birth certificate. U.S. Customs in Chicago asked for my birth certificate and I told them I didn't need it the last 5 trips in 3 years. He told me if I go that often, I should have a passport. We now have passports, but Mexico don't stamp them anyway.
Today, shoes off at the airport. Tomorrow, sox off at the airport. Next year, leave your clothes at the door!
:yes:
I have my fishing pole, find me a chair and cooler on la playa. (south of the border)
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-13-2003 at 02:32 PM

While it is true that a drivers license is not proof of US citizenship, it is sufficient to drive or walk across the border.

Realistically, a US driver's license is all you need.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-13-2003 at 03:02 PM

Yes it's all you need UNLESS you are staying more than 72 hours or traveling south of the border zone (Maneadero/San Felipe), technically you then need a Tourist Card.

To get a Tourist Card (FM-T, Visa) you need any 'proof' of citizenship (passport, birth certificate, voter's registration, notorized affidavit of citizenship....) any of the above PLUS a photo ID (except passport which has a photo), like a driver's license. This has been the rules... The only change came in 2000 when they started charging money (about US$20) for the tourist card, and the government official isn't allowed to take that money... so you need to pay at a bank and go back to the official for the final stamp... dumb and hurts tourism.

Only at the Tijuana border is a 24/7 bank teller next to the INM office to make this a fairly easy process.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2003 at 07:14 PM
Passport

I have traveled extensively in Mexico and Latin America, and would suggest always using a passport if planning to spend more than a day. It is the most reliable identification in a foreign country.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-13-2003 at 07:44 PM
well, it might be all you need now (drivers licence)

until it isn't.......At this time the it's same as crossing into Canada, Nada.....I would hate (or maybe not) to be stuck with no proof of my country of origin if something such as 9-11 happened again.....I would never travel beyond my home borders without proof of my citizenship. I've had a passport for more than 20yrs. and there were times I didn't carry it because it was #1 of the theft list, now I never leave home without it.
academicanarchist
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-14-2003 at 06:44 AM
passport

In a practical sense, it will probably be accepted more readily in banks, for example.
bajajoe

[*] posted on 12-15-2003 at 01:38 PM

Seems like a lot of reliance is put on the photo ID known as a drivers license. Shortly before 9/11 a friend from
La Paz, BCS came to Chicago to visit (for 6 months) he had his pile of papers required to cross the border legal. He decided he would like to see Chicago on his own so I gave him one of my cars. But we had to get him a drivers license. Not much of a problem. He got a letter from the Ill. Secretary of State to get a social security number. (not good for work) He went back to the S.O.S. office, took the necessary tests and got a license good for 4 years. We renewed it over the computer, while he's in La Paz. He has no idea when or if he will ever return to Chicago, but he has a valid Illinois drivers License.:cool:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-15-2003 at 06:41 PM

If he was in California they would have automatically given him a voter's registration form, not ever asking for proof he is an American citizen.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

marla
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2003 at 11:46 AM

The first time I flew to Canada, I naively assumed that since I never took anything but a drivers license to Northern Baja, the same rule would apply in Canada. Ha! They didn't check before I got on the plane, but they almost didn't let me into Canada at immigration control without my birth certificate! I don't even know why they did except that I had a complete coniption fit. Now I always take my passport whenever I leave the country even for 5 minutes!
Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2003 at 12:05 PM

I've forgotten my passport twice going into Canada, and both times they accepted the CA drivers license without comment.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2003 at 08:22 PM
Canada

I've made about two dozen trips to Europe and visited about a dozen countries.

In my experience Canada's interrogation/requirements at the border is much stronger/stiffer than Europe or MX(even pre-9/11). It surprised me.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-16-2003 at 11:25 PM
passport

passports are pretty cheep when you thionk about it 10 yrs for 60 bucks
and when in baja it can be just like anywhere else if theres a problem even if its not your fault it will go a lot better with one if you rent a place by the month you will need it and also a fm3 if you leave anything in baja or buy a place it will be asked for every time you do bussness i think it well worth while to be on the safe side have a good one jerry

jerry and judi
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.