Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Diving in BCS beginning of November
catwoman888

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 12:42 AM
Diving in BCS beginning of November

Hello!
I am planning to come to Baja Sur beginning of November and would like to do some diving. I would welcome good tips as to where to go at this time of the year. I am an advanced OW diver with about 80 dives. Havenot dived for 2 years though and need a refresher before starting something a little more challenging.

I have heard that there are sometimes schools of hammerheads, whale sharks and Mantas... where are the best spots to see them? and normally around what period of the year? OBviously I have read now the post about the Humbolt squids.... are they to be seen all year long? Do they really attack unless you don't bother them?? Don't feel like diving in armour!! :)

Any favourite diving organisors you could recommend??

Thanks in advance for all info!
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 01:03 AM

Hi -Catwoman888, I have done some diving in BCS, depends WHERE in BCS you are planning to stay I could point you out some places.
I could give you some ideas as an TOURIST - Diver and what I have experienced, and from a Pro -perspective (I'm a OWSI)
U2U me if you want details.

gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2006 at 11:39 PM

Catwoman,

Do not worry about the Humboldt Squids, as with any of these types of animals you have to look for them. The Humboldt squid is in the Sea of Cortez year round, your chance of seeing one on a regular reef dive are pretty slim, if you do see one consider yourself very lucky. I would head into Loreto. the dives at the islands are beautifull and it is not crowded and still has the baja charm. Check out www.loretoscubadiving.com You can fly into loreto and stay at the Inn at Loreto Bay www.innatloretobay.com they have an all inclusive package thats really good. You can contact the owner of www.loretoscubadiving.com his name is Liberto, he is a master dive instructor and commercial dive instructor (retired) and has a very nice dive boat called "Libertad"

I can tell you for sure that If you stay at that hotel and use that operator you will have a good time. I stay at the same place and use his services when I do my squid diving expeditions.

GTB
www.gonetobaja.com
www.sea-wolves.com
catwoman888

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 05:39 AM
Where are the best sites? Cabo Pulmo, La Paz or Loreto?

Hello! Thanks for the tips about the innatloretobay. Only thing is that it is the type of places I want to avoid. Want to be in a town and not a resort far from everything to be able to experience the culture and speak/practice my Spanish... !! :-)
Can you suggest other places??

Do you know the diving in La Paz and Cabo Pulmo?
How would you divide the diving time between these two and Loreto?? I was not going to spend much time around Loreto? Should I??

Please all Baja divers, I would love to hear your feedback.
I have heard that the Whale Sharks migration has arrived in La Paz. I must say I love paying attention to nudibranches but love the big game: mantas, hammerheads, seals...

Muchas gracias!
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 06:26 AM

catwoman888

I published this article (with my daughter Coleen) about diving in Baja in Dive Training Magazine about 15 years ago but I think the information is still valid. I hope it will help.

http://www.kenbondy.com/images/ProfessionalArticles/DiveGeoB...

Buen viaje,

++Ken++
catwoman888

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 03:29 PM
Anyone has dived Las Animas???

Thanks Ken!! IT has been helpful.

One more question to the divers... has anyone dived Las Animas?? Is it closer to La Paz or Cabo Pulmo???
How long does it take to get there??

Thanks!
cristobal
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 03:47 PM
Las Animas

Isla Las Animas is closer to LORETO :yes::yes::yes:

:o:O:spingrin::yes::wow::P:P
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by catwoman888
Thanks Ken!! IT has been helpful.

One more question to the divers... has anyone dived Las Animas?? Is it closer to La Paz or Cabo Pulmo???
How long does it take to get there??

Thanks!

catwoman888

Las Animas is just east of the north end of Isla San Jose, at the northern end of La Paz bay. It is normally served only by the liveaboard boats out of La Paz and private boats. If you can get there it is one of the best dive sites in the entire world.
greta-inbaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 01:49 PM
la paz/ cabo pulmo

We dive out of La Paz and Cabo Pulmo at least a few times a year. Went to Las Animas for the day with Club Cantamar. Some people don't like them but we have been diving with them since the resort had only 1 building. In La Paz we have seen and snorkeled with whalesharks 4-5 times, spent complete days with many Mantas, only have seen 1 hammerhead and a marlin (very cool) al El Bajo. You would have as much spanish practice as you want in La Paz. Oh, Las Animas was 3+ hours out and cost extra money. I have friends that like the Cortez Club. As for cabo Pulmo. Mostly gringos but you can find easily talk to the divemaster and boat captains in spanish since they are mostly mexican. Lots of sealife there, 10 minute boat rides. Been diving there since 1985. Huge groupers. could be windy in Novemer. There are many places to rent 50-70 dollars. Hope this helps

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.