BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: How Many Different Species of Fish & ? Have You Caught in Your Life?
SoCalAl
Nomad

Mood: Hungry

wink.gif posted on 9-22-2006 at 08:33 AM
How Many Different Species of Fish & ? Have You Caught in Your Life?

:light: This is intended for fun and just to check out where and what type of criters you have pulled out of the Oceans in your lifetime. I know I have had my fair share and probobly would need a semi-truck container to put all that fish in if I ever had the opportunity to collect all at one time. So have fun with this and maybe if you have some photos that would be cool.:cool:

My List
Growing Up- I used to get excited about going to the pier and catching Makerel and bonito. Man I did that for three or four years almost every week-end. I would leave my part time job at a radiator repair shop on Saturday afternoon. I would come over to my Japaneese friend Eddie and say, hey Eddie I got gas money let's go fishing (Eddie was retired and loved to sleep alot). It would take about an hour or two before I convinced him but once he was up, we got ready and left for the rest of the week-end. We fished all Saturday night and all day on Sunday. Our route was Redondo Beach Pier (before it burned) all night and New Port, Hunington, Seal Beacha piers and the Queen Mary rocks (Jeti). We always found other points in-between those locations to try. I tried all kinds of baits and gadgetts, I used to make my own feathers and jigs out of spoon and fork handles. I baited my hook with everything you can think of from fish to gummie bears. I tried tomatoes, onions, fish guts, gummy works (those worked on makerel), corn and so n and so on. I guess I was going through the experimental stages. I tried all sorts of rigs too, I was always looking to see what would work the best. In the end a simple slider weight and hook and a pea weight and hook worked the best anyhow. Jigs, it's funny how as the times pass people try the new stuff and forget the old stuff works to. :lol: I just laugh at the situation, not the people for I have introduced friends to fishing and they go all out and buy thousands of dollars in expensive reels and poles and I still outfish their but with the Sport-Mart, K-mart, Wall-mart stuff. It ain't about the equipment especially in salt water. I hate taking my stuff to the tackle shop and getting it greased and lubed drags redone, I could be fishing or doing something else. Just fork out another $20 or $30 smacks for a reel and go catch another few dozen fish. Well I will get into the boat fishing later but for now here is a list of the stuff I draged out of piers, jetties, beaches, rocks, and marinas....

Makerel
Sardine
Anchovie
Lady Fish
Sculpin
Cabezon
Halibut
Tarpon (flat fish) I don't the exact name
flounder
Misc Rock Fish
Sand Bass
Calico Bass
White Sea Bass
Johnny Bay Bass
Spotted Bass
Bonito
King Fish
Queen Fish
Spotted Fin Croaker
Corvina
Barred Perch
Butter mouth Perch
Opel eye Perch
Black Smith Perch
Catalina Blue Perch
Garabaldi
Lizard Fish
Jack Smelt
Harring
Needle Nose fish
Barracuda

Shovel Nose Shark
Sand Shark
Sting Ray
Leopard Shark
Lemon Shark
Thorne Back Shark
Angel Shark

Lobster
Dungenese Crab
Spider Crab
Sand Crab
Octopus

and several other misc stuff.

Hooked into seals & boats, not fun....

These are the fish and other creatures I can remember catching of the coast and not on a boat over a period of 4 or 5 years as a teen-ager...:cool:

What about You???

Ahh Baja.... Where you can hear yourself think & commingling with the locals will humble you.
Johnny
Junior Nomad

Mood: concerned

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 09:31 AM

I fish off the beach here in San Diego, in La Jolla when I was a kid. Here's my list.
Halibut
Sheepshead
calico bass
opal eye
surf perch
white sea bass
sculpin
sting ray
garabaldi (oh, no throw it back before anyone calls the cops.:lol:

once my friend hooked a swimming lobster with my pole

once in San Felipe I caught a wierd ray type thing with a fat tail I forget what it is called but the nick name is mock lobster, great fish tacos.

the only time I went on a boat I caught some mackerel, a small baracuda, and hooked a large shark that they encouraged me to give up rather than fight all day, so that I could catch more, but no more luck that day. I wish I had brought in that shark. They said it was 8 or 10 feet.

I used to go to Mission Bay and suction up ghost shrimp for bait. they were the best. Otherwise I use salted anchovies, squid, peas, and if I'm desparate I have my kids dig up sandcrabs. I've also been known to pick up a seafood medley at Trader Joe's for lack of a local bait shop.

My last catch was a small sting ray on my last cast, It was the day after Steve Erwin Died. (croc. hunter)

Has anyone heard of PFA, Positive Fish Attitude, it works for me.

Thanks for promoting me to Junior Nomad, it sounds so much better than 'newbie':lol:
Johnny
Junior Nomad

Mood: concerned

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 09:33 AM

Oh I forgot my favorites:
leopard shark &
sand shark
and once a trout in a stream in No.Cal
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 09:40 AM

SoCalAl... I was walking the pier in Ocean Beach yesterday and saw a guy bring in a lobster on his line. Never saw that before. The lobster was latched on to his bait and just as he brought the line over the rail the lobster dropped off. It was a nice size lobster. How did you catch yours?

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 09:46 AM
I LOVE to fish

and clean them as well. I have caught a few, but the top one on my list that I haven't experienced yet is the Wahoo.

P.<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 10:10 AM
April, it's PSA

Positive Shark Attitude.

Here's the skinny.....I confess, I have caught and eaten many types of sharks in my day. Some were absolutely delicious....better than swordfish(which I also do not eat)

If you study and learn about sharks it quickly becomes apparent that they are not like typical fin-fish. Most know they are a "cartilaginous" animal as opposed to "boney fish" and that makes em totally different than fish.

Sharks' lifestyles(not mine;D) differ in many respects . One important factor for determining the fate of sharks is there inability to reproduce early. There are many sharks that take as many as 5-6 yrs to produce off-spring.
Other ways to mitigate the sharks' future should be addressed globally. Sportfishing sharks is probably not a concern but long-lining and fin-fishing have always been practices that damage fisheries.

As a promoter of the Shark world I deplore you to fish for other, not so precarious, animals. I could tell you but you already know, how tasty some are.

Past favorite shark to eat:

Shovelnose(taste like chicken)
Thresher(taste like swodfish)

Worst....

Blues( tastes, looks like blubber)

---
Fish:
Opaleye(stinky) We called em "button-backs"

___

Hey SoCal, how da heck does you catch anchovies wid a hook??:?:

Tarpon(East Pacific??) do tell...

Nice list there. Many fine meals as well!

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 11:05 AM

How many species have I caught?

I don't know.:lol:

I have not caught: Wahoo, Black Marlin, Swordfish, Opah, Big Eye tuna, rainbow runner, but I want to.

I also have not caught one of these:

pic32391.jpg - 26kB
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 11:14 AM

Hm, Whitefish? - always thought they are found in the Hudson river NY only??

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley

I have not caught: Wahoo, Black Marlin, Swordfish, Opah, Big Eye tuna, rainbow runner, but I want to.

Well, unless you fish Mars, what is that? Have you posted it or tried to ID it on Gene Kira's web site?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 01:53 PM

I've caught most fresh and salt water species , Pacific and Atlantic. Still fishing, gonna get to the rest of 'em sooner or later.:yes::yes:
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 02:39 PM

whistler. Yep! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:biggrin:
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 02:50 PM

WHAT KIND OF FISH HAVE I CAUGHT...this will take some thinking!!

If you can translate my Nomad name, it roughly means "I love to fish." So as you might imagine, I DO love to fish. My first remembrances of fishing were off the rocks and docks near PIERPOINT LANDING in Long Beach Harbor. How many of you remember PIERPOINT LANDING??? My dad would drag the whole family down there and we'd catch tons of little Perch about 6" long. Then, if we were lucky, we'd get to eat Fish and Chips or hot dogs and ride a kiddie carnival ride.

When I got a to be about 6, my Dad started taking my youger Brother and I on 1/2 day & 3/4 day boats out of different landings in Long Beach, Seal Beach Pier, San Clemente Pier and Oceanside Pier. I'll have to hunt for the pictures of us on our driveway with rows of Barracuda and such spread out before us. Getting on the boats as they bobbed, bucked and rolled next to the pier was sure a challenge.

At age 10, we moved to Huntington Beach, so my Brother and I started fishing off the HB Pier. If we were not at the beach, you could probably find us on the pier. A stranges tale I remember from that was a fish I didn't get up. I was bored after a long morning of slow fishing when I took a chunk of LOOK (remember those?) candy bar and baited my hook with it. Well, my pole went BENDO big time and I was really having to crank hard to get it up. But, it never made it up high enough to see what it was. I still wonder to this day what it was! We used to catch quite a variety off the Pier, but probably the most exciting were Barracuda and Bonitos. We would catch them by tossing out a chromed Diamond Jig or using a wooden splasher block with live bait. Whenever we could scrape together enough money from our allowance or collecting Soda Pop bottles on the beach, we'd go on the 1/2 day boat from the HB Pier or ride the shuttle boat out to the HB Barge which was anchored about a mile offshore and a couple of miles north of the Pier. You could fish all day there for one price and take the boat out or back in when you wanted.

When I became old enough to drive, I would drive myself to Pierpoint and take an overnight, 1/2 or 3/4 day boats. Later after getting married, I'd leave the wife at home and go with Buddies to almost every landing on the coast, or if I had to, go by myself.

When my Son was 8, I took him on his first trip, a Twilight charter I had organized for our church Men's Group. Well, he caught the Biggest fish and won the Jackpot Prize (rod and reel) his first time out. I wish could say "Like Father, Like Son," but he's a better fisherman than me and has won more jackpots. He and I continued fishing together on many overnight, 1/2 and 3/4 day trips over the years.

In 1991, I was finally able to realize a dream of taking a Father/Son fishing trip to Palmas de Cortez at Los Barriles on the East Cape. That first week long trip there was the best we ever had there. 1/2 hour into our first day out, we had hooked up to a 212 lb. Blue Marlin which I let my then 12 year old son fish and land. During the trip we managed to catch many Dorados, Sailfish, Wahoos and lots of nice Yellowfin Tunas including my best, an 88 pounder. We were lucky enough to have made about 7 trips down there and caught many varieties of fish.

Well, probably way to much of my fishing biography...LOL!!! BUT, I could go on with the stories forever!

But, one more side note. I definitely imparted a LOVE of fishing to my Son. He still LOVES to fish to this day! But, in addition to Saltwater Sportfishing , he's really gotten into Freshwater BASS fishing. He now owns a Bass fishing boat and is now starting to enter Professional Bass fishing tournaments. His goal is to be a Professional Bass Fisherman.

And regarding FISHING TACKLE....I own about 15 Fishing Rods, 20 or so Reels, as well as Tackle Bags and Boxes FULL of artificial lures of EVERY type, size and color, 100's of hooks of EVERY type and size, and MUCH, MUCH, MORE...

SALTWATER FISH I HAVE CAUGHT...

Striped Marlin
Sailfish
Wahoo
Yellowfin Tuna
Big Eye Tuna
Skipjack Tuna
Roosterfish
Dorado (aka: Mahi Mahi)
Triggerfish
Pargo
Needlefish
Barracuda
Bonito
Yellowtail
Halibut
Mackeral
Calico Bass
Sand Bass
Spotted Bay Bass
Sheepshead
Whitefish
Bluefish
Sculpin
Rock Fish/Cods (not sure of all the varieties)
Ling Cod
Herring
Sardine
Smelt
Shark (several varieties)
Stingray
Perch
Garibaldi
Octopus
Giant Squid
Crabs

FRESHWATER fish...

Rainbow Trout
Largemoth Bass
Crappy

FISH I'VE NEVER been able to catch...but would like to catch!

Albacore Tuna
Bluefin Tuna
White Sea Bass
Salmon
BIG...Alaskan Halibut
Broadbill Swordfish
Black Marlin
Blue Marlin

Well, I'M SURE there are more which I CAUGHT and can't remember the names of.

Plus...I would be lying if I didn't say that MANY had gotten away...LOL!!! :rolleyes:

THANKS to SoCalAL for starting the thread and trip down Memory Lane. :light:

If I can find pictures, I'll try to scan and post some soon.

AMO PESCAR (aka: Michael) :yes: :wow:

[Edited on 9-22-2006 by AmoPescar]
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 02:52 PM

whistler, Caught some regular Jacks 30lbs.+, No Giants.:)
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley

Well, unless you fish Mars, what is that? Have you posted it or tried to ID it on Gene Kira's web site?

Just messing with everyone's head. That and other goofy fish were making the internet rounds as "washed up in the tsunami" but were actually taken on a deep water exploration effort:
http://spiralbound.net/2005/08/23/fish-supposedly-washed-up-...
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 03:11 PM

WHISTLER...

YES, I did forget SKIPJACK!
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 03:59 PM

On second thought! There're a lot of fish I haven't caught.:light:;):D
SoCalAl
Nomad

Mood: Hungry

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 04:29 PM

Wow - Did not expect many to answer but hey that's what its all about. ;D

Shark Baja - I will pay for a sword fish dinner when you and I finally meet, but it has to be sword fish (mercury and all). Chovies and the misc stuff I caught, with nets, hands, trebble hook snagging and etc.
Got to admit I do not eat most sharks I catch unless it they are good size.
:tumble:

:tumble:

Ahh Baja.... Where you can hear yourself think & commingling with the locals will humble you.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 06:13 PM

My fondest memories as a youngster was the Redondo barge. You could fish all day with all the bait you ever wanted for $2.50. I remember boarding at 6AM and there would be people in sleeping bags on deck who had fished the night before. Lots of bonito on those trips. And sablefish. Remember those things. They fought like a wet rag but mom sure liked it when I brought them home.

How many fish do you think you would get if you came across this scene? It's OK at the start but after awhile you start to look elsewhere.

pinks.jpg - 48kB
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 06:57 PM

My memory cells are too fried to attempt such a compendium, but this has resurrected a memory of childhood:

When I was about 11, I was fishing for Snook with my Uncle Fish. (His real name was Sylvester but everyone called him Fish because he was a fishing fanatic who quit a good paying job at the height of the great depression because they wouldn't give him time off to go fishing.) This was in the channel between Sannibel and Captiva islands off Ft. Myers, FL. Well, Uncle Fish hooked a Ladyfish and as he started to reel it in, a 7 foot gator glommed onto it and wouldn't let go. My uncle was using a lightweight rod and spinning reel with maybe 10# line. Instead of cutting line, he played that damn gator more than an hour, finally bringing it ashore where some tourists took pictures. Then he finally had to cut the line as they were a protected species back then.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

puzzled.gif posted on 9-23-2006 at 08:31 AM
How many?

After reading this thread I got to thinking how many kinds of fish have I caught in 65 or more years of fishing?
My god I have no idea,having lived in the northwest for many years than socal for 30 I have had the opportunity to catch a bunch:biggrin:

Some of my first memorys as a very young boy was following my father stream fishing for eastrenbrook trout in northeastren wash. and northern ida.,my father was probaly the most skilled poacher in the state. I,m sure the salmon,trout and spiney rays were only to happy to see me leave.

My salt water career started in 59 after moving to socal.
and a whole new world opened to me,surf,jetty and off shore in the 60,s when fishing was very good,big white sea bass off belmont pier was not uncommon!

I have laid waste to the croaker family
I,ve caught all the tuna,s with the exception of the big-eye,the bluefin being my favorite.
The marlin,s are fun to watch but imagine a 500# or 600# bluefin,not wasting his energy jumping just sheer horse power.
Did alot of shark fishing when I got enough money together to get a boat,caught them all thresher,mako,the mako,s were called bonito sharks back then,even two hammerheads which was uncommon.

Baja opened up another whole world:bounce:
The inshore fish of baja norte learned to fear my very presence before I could afford a tin boat,then it started all over again.

Hooked my first dorado on the stern of a ocean going tugboat ATF in the navy between Hawaii and Enewetok
atoll I say hooked because the only thing I could find was a old spinning rig and a rusty old bass plug to work with,it didn,t last long say 10 sec.,A buddy and I finally learned to hand-line enough to feed the whole crew,one big fish.fry.

I.m currently chasing stripers and big catfish on the Colorado,no big fish yet but I,m working on it.

This was just the ramblings of a old fisherman who,s whole life has been just that FISHIN.

BAITCAST
I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.