Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Question about auto insurance
stevodadevo

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 09:39 AM
Question about auto insurance

What do you guys do for mexican auto insurance? I never know if I should buy the full-coverage or just the liability. The deductables are incredibly high on the full coverage policies I have seen (up to 5% of vehicle value).

I drive an 06 Silverado worth about $38,000 but I owe close to $45,000. I frequently go down to San Felipe and beyond.

Here are the pros and cons of buying full coverage as I see it:

Pro:

• Truck will get fixed if there is major damage.
  • I dont have to lie to my american insurance and claim that the damage was done in the states. Insurance fraud = bad.

Con:

• Because of the high deductables, it would take a very big accident to make up for the cost of the deducatable
  • The truck would have to be repaired in Mexico
  • They dont offer rental car coverage for the duration of the repair.
  • I could lie and say that the truck was damaged somewhere else and get it fixed under my american policy (insurance fraud though)
  • There is no GAP coverage so if the truck was totalled, I would still be out $7,000 plus the deductable or more since they would only give me what the truck was worth.

I would like to hear your opinions.

[Edited on 9-22-2006 by stevodadevo]
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 09:43 AM

I have my coverage from AAA in Southern California. They cover the vehicle throughout all of Mexico (but not liability). So, when we travel south of the border we only need to purchase liablity coverage.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
stevodadevo

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
I have my coverage from AAA in Southern California. They cover the vehicle throughout all of Mexico (but not liability). So, when we travel south of the border we only need to purchase liablity coverage.

Are you sure? I thought they only covered 100 or so miles into Mexico.
QuePasaBaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 10:15 AM

there are several companies here in Mexico that sell, and it is worth having.

ING is one that comes to mind. they have an office in Tijuana, and one in Ensenada. They are expensive, but they are a world wide company.

qualitas is another one, and they have an office in Tijuana.

Have a Baja Day

QuePasaBaja
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 10:54 AM

A nice new Siverado...I'd have that insured against theft. Qualitas will charge a $1000 deductible for total theft.

I'd look into the AAA or similar insurance, but with that much invested I might by the Mexican full coverage as well.

I thought about getting a nice new truck this year, but as my truck is in Baja full time I'm sticking with the "pizza" insurance. It's a 1991 F-150. Liability only. You can buy one for your Mexico trips for the cost of maybe a couple of years of Mexican full-coverage insurance.:biggrin:
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 11:01 AM

Stevodadevo,

In regards to the "cons" you were talking about :

Deductibles - There are several underwriters that offer fixed deductibles of $500 for physical damage and $1000 for total loss or theft. The premiums are slightly higher but it will save you money in the event of a loss.

Repairs - Many underwriters will allow you to have your car fixed in the U.S. if the vehicle is able to be driven back across the border. It is important to note that some underwriters unfortunately only settle claims based upon the Mexican labor rate for repairs - not U.S. If you are really want to get your car fixed here in the states and have the full repair covered....make sure this is a feature included in the policy you choose!

Rental Cars - This is also a service included by some underwriters. If the car is a total loss they will provide a rental car or air transportation to get you back home. In some cases they will provide trip continuation so you can keep your travels going. Once again, it just depends on the underwriter you end up insuring the vehicle with.

In regards to the vehicle value versus how much is owed......there is not much that can be done about that. Claims will always be settled based upon the suggested Kelley Blue Book or NADA guide retail value - not the balance of what is owed.

Hope this helps. Feel free to U2U me if you want more details. I would be happy to help you find the insurance that fits your needs....even if it is not with my company.

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 11:26 AM

To get the insurance you have to have permission from the lienholder to take your car into Mexico, at least I know that's true for AAA.
stevodadevo

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 01:39 PM

Thanks for the advice guys (especially BajaGeoff). I guess I'll be purchasing full coverage insurance.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stevodadevo
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H

Are you sure? I thought they only covered 100 or so miles into Mexico.

Yes, I called them and asked them. It used to be limited but now they cover all of Mexico, but not liability.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-22-2006 at 07:24 PM

If you still owe on it, I don't know how you could not buy anything other than full coverage... I do believe your contract mandates it be fully covered.

Lie to your insurance company??? I am sure you would no more do that then lie to the IRS!:lol::lol:

Seriously, what if the truck was stollen in Mexico, or totalled? What U.S. cop will produce a false statement saying that happened north of the border?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2006 at 09:32 AM

If you get an annual policy they are pretty reasonable. I pay $165 a year for a $27000 truck. I'm allowed 90 days per year in Baja and northern Mexico. The deductable is $500. It's an honor system as to the 90 days per year. But for me I spend way less than 90.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-23-2006 at 09:38 AM

TW...who is the company. If you don't want to post, please u2u me.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-23-2006 at 09:38 AM

Yes, if you travel more than 15-20 days a year in Baja, an annual policy IS cheaper...

For me ($30,000 truck) it would be about $200 for 17 days (daily policy) or the SAME $200 for a year (annual policy)... I choose the YEAR!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2006 at 11:44 AM

Mine is thru Discover Baja. The $165 was not correct. My 04 GMC Z71 for $25000 is $280 for the year. That includes $25000 on physical damage ($500 deductable) and theft ($1250 deductable). $10000 occupants medical and $100000 liability. Includes legal aid and bail bond and vehicle road assistance. It's with GE Seguros. The $165 is for my 93 Toyota PU.

[Edited on 9-23-2006 by TW]
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 9-23-2006 at 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stevodadevo
What do you guys do for mexican auto insurance? I never know if I should buy the full-coverage or just the liability. The deductables are incredibly high on the full coverage policies I have seen (up to 5% of vehicle value).

Insure your truck at home with Progressive - their Collision & Comprehensive coverage extends to Mexico.

Then you just get a $60 Mexican Liability policy.

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
flyboy

[*] posted on 9-24-2006 at 06:46 PM
progressive insurance covers Mex

I'll second that
Kell-Baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 02:02 PM

Contact California Baja, Rent-A-Car, they also sell Mexican Insurance
phone: (619) 470-7368 E-mail: info@cabaja.com
Timbercrete
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 02:14 PM

Ditto with David K
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 02:16 PM

I have Progressive insurance on my Class A, and it covers me for everything except liability and legal in Mexico. So I contacted them about insuring my new Taco.

They informed me that, for Mexico trips, they only cover MDT's (Medium Duty Trucks) that are being used to tow 5ers and TT's. This was directly from Progressive.

So, I'm back to buying full coverage through Discover Baja. Full coverage is based on the value of the vehicle. Check the NADA guide before buying insurance.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 02:19 PM

Discoverbaja.com

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.