BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Baja Car: Own car (Audi) or Rental 4x4?
expatwanderer

[*] posted on 9-25-2006 at 04:05 PM
Baja Car: Own car (Audi) or Rental 4x4?

Newbie looking for some advice for my first trip to Baja...

I'm planning a road trip down the length of the peninsula around Thanksgiving and am trying to decide whether to take my own car, a 2004 Audi Allroad, vs. a rental 4x4.

Haven't fully decided the route yet, but will likely not use the main highway all the way in order to experience some of the backcountry - although not planning anything extreme. The fun is in the journey.

Allroad has reasonable off road clearance and ability (although obviously not the same as a 4x4 truck), so that may not be an issue (?).

Cost will be cheaper in the Allroad -- since I would not have to rent a 4x4 for 10+ days. Hence why I am considering taking the Allroad.

Any advice? Thoughts on pros/cons?

PS I tried searching for postings on own car vs. rental and couldn't find any. Apologies if I missed one.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2006 at 04:44 PM

A few months ago I would have said to go ahead and take your Audi, thinking it would be OK on the better backcountry roads and really nice on the highway.

But that was before the big storm. Even some of the more routine backroad drives may have some challenges for a while due to storm damage. Runnoff sometimes carves up the roads pretty bad.

I never tried a rental for the back roads. Can you get a 4x4 and drive the backcountry? Insurance?
bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2006 at 05:39 PM

A friend of mine considered a rental and was turned off my the price. I think your Audi will be fine, even for many of the dirt roads. Make sure you know your limits. I'll be driving my 4X4 to La Paz over Thanksgiving. More than likely I will use 4X4 on the last 20 yards or so to back up to a nice beach spot. My opinion - it's not worth the extra $$! Have fun. I'll keep an eye out for an Audi in November. I'll pull you down to the beach!:lol:
FutureBajaRetiree

[*] posted on 9-25-2006 at 09:30 PM
Own car vs rental 4x4

OK, this is gonna sound crazy but my hubby, daughter and I did the entire length of the peninsula in a Ford Focus two years ago. That's right: a tiny 2 door Ford Focus. We had the time of our lives! As long as the Transpeninsular is in good shape by Thanksgiving you would be fine in the Audi. We had thought about renting a 4x4 but the price and the insurance was crazy expensive.
We even did a little off-roading to see some of the cliff paintings but not too much because it was monsoon season and...well...we didn't want to get washed away. Just be sure to pace yourself because you can't really drive at night (vacas (cows) like to sleep on the warm pavement at night).
Our itenerary was nearly perfect: First night in Ensenada, 2nd night in San Ignacio (one of my personal favorite towns), 3rd night was Los Barilles (this was the longest leg), stayed in Los Barriles for three days so we could explore the east cape (Cabo Pulmo is the most amazing dive site...if you don't dive then definitely snorkel!). On the way back we stayed 3 days in Loreto (a great base point for visiting Mulege and Santa Rosalia, home of Eiffel's church...yes, that Eiffel). Last night was in San Quintin. From there we went back to the US through Tecate, stopping at a wonderful winery on the way named El Cetto. The best vacation ever!
Whatever you decide to do -- wheels wise -- you will have the time of your life. I envy you! I can't wait to do it again! Oh, one more thing: watch out for the unmarked topes (speedbumps)...they're usually next to a llantaria (tire shop).
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-25-2006 at 09:35 PM

Future....check your u2u message
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2006 at 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by FutureBajaRetiree
OK, this is gonna sound crazy but my hubby, daughter and I did the entire length of the peninsula in a Ford Focus two years ago. That's right: a tiny 2 door Ford Focus. We had the time of our lives!

As long as you pretty much stay on the highway, no problem.

I've driven down in a Honda CRV, a Subaru Forester, a 1991 Ford F-150 4x4, and a VW GTI 1.8 Turbo. For the highway drive the old Ford is the pits. But the fast, nimble little VW was a gas on HWY 1, my best ride ever.

If I could choose any car for my next drive to Loreto, I think I'd choose a Mini Cooper S.:biggrin:
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2006 at 08:16 AM

I would take the Audi. You can ask locally about road conditions before you go off-road, besides, the money you save, both in gas and rental fees will go a long way toward fixing your Audi if you do break it. Keep in mind that most Baja backroads have a lot of washboard, so you may need to replace shocks when you get home, depending on how much of it you drive.
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 9-26-2006 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by expatwanderer
Haven't fully decided the route yet, but will likely not use the main highway all the way in order to experience some of the back-country - although not planning anything extreme. The fun is in the journey.

I believe you're operating under a common misconception. The "back-country" in Baja isn't like rural US, where you can call for a tow truck or buy gas/tires at every village. There are NO services in the villages off the beaten track and NO road signs.

In most areas of Baja (excluding the cities), Highway 1 is the ONLY paved road and the secondary roads are dirt roads (the 'beaten track) leading to towns near the highway. These are passable by just about any 4WD and most 2WD. (The locals can't afford fancy off road vehicles either). So exploring these are completely do-able with your current vehicle.

Any trip off this beaten track requires more than just a high clearance 4X4 truck. It requires extensive planning, lots of spare parts (like at least 2 spare tires, and spares for anything rubber, etc), camping gear and supplies, gas, air compressor (for airing up your tires after you've partially deflated them to get out of that sand hole), and some good topo maps. The truck should be set up with full skid plates, winch, etc. And, of course, some help and advice from the people on this forum that have done the trip. Check the Off-Road forum.

I can't think of a road between towns (other than Hwy 1) that I would just routinely take without some extensive research. Not even the ones I've taken in the past. Any info older than the last rainstorm is suspect.

Lay out a tentative route and ask about the sections not on Hwy 1 here (and even Hwy 1 in the areas that were affected by the hurricanes). Don't believe Mexico road maps when it comes to secondary roads.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
expatwanderer

[*] posted on 9-27-2006 at 04:42 PM

Thanks for all the advice so far -- very interesting. I'll definitely float the route out for comment when I get it figured out.

I notice all the responses focus on off-road capabilities/road conditions, which is great. Can I take it that none of you would be overly concerned about theft or attracting unwanted attention by using a more unusual/newer car in Baja (as I am assuming is the case with Audis)?

This has been one of my concerns since I just don't have any experience (yet) in Baja.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 9-27-2006 at 04:46 PM

Load your stuff and hit the road. Your vehicle being late model should be reliable, the roads can be rough though, but they are passable. That vehicle will get stuck if it even see's sand, so stay out of that. Insurance is void when off the highway irregardless of the vehicle you use. Good luck and enjoy Baja!

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 08:36 AM

Bring the Allroad, a good quality 12v air pump, a tire gauge and a collapsible entrenching tool.

Dont be afraid to drop your air down to 12 lbs. in sand. You'll be amazed at what it will do. But dont be foolish. If possible, test what degree of sand you vehicle will handle before you go down there. Test the inflation levels. Dont be too lazy to walk the questionable areas BEFORE you travel across them. Learn how deep of sand will cause you trouble at normal inflation.

Is it an AWD vehicle? Front WD vehicle?
expatwanderer

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 09:46 AM

Thanks Hook. It is an AWD vehicle with traction control and adjustable ride clearance (up 5 inches extra clearance if needed). Tires are fairly heavy duty all weather M+S rated, but obviously not nobblies.

It's this one, just in case a pic helps: http://www.audi.com/audi/com/en1/company/history/predecessor...

Already been thinking about packing a pump/compressor of some sort. Plus probably a spare rim + tire since the spare it comes with is a "get you home" type.

Good news is that I am doing this trip with 4 guys, so plenty of pushing power if needed in an emergency. Having said that, and as indicated in my initial post, I'm not looking to do super extreme stuff anyway -- but we do want to do some backcountry (if only the well travelled backcountry).

Would you have any concerns about the fact that it is a newer Audi attracting any unwanted attention in terms of theft etc.? Not having been down there yet, I don't know what to expect in terms of petty crime etc.
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 09:49 AM

4 guys in that car, or 4 guys and 2 cars?

yuletide
expatwanderer

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 09:57 AM

4 guys in the one car.
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 10:10 AM

that could get tight.

You might put a few extra years on your car and return with a few new squeaks and scratches. As for sand, air pressure is king. I've been so stuck in sand that I had to climb out a window to dig out the tires and find the valve. But once I aired down (I go 10psi i in the front (8 if its REALLY bad) and 10-13 in the back) it drove out like a cadddy. I would think your biggest concern (with your new knowledge of sand) is WET STUFF and sharp stuff. DEFINATELY have a full size spare, and a few cans of fix-a-flat. Be prepared to change a flat at least once, and what ever you do, if its wet, don't do it. If you think it might be wet, make sure it isn't before you drive on it.

There's a good thread here called "The List" which has a ton of ideas of what to bring for car saftey and recovery. I suggest you check it out. Being a new car I think I would echo the sentiment that you don't need to worry so much about mechanical failures, but... some would call those "famous last words".

yuletide
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by expatwanderer
Thanks Hook. It is an AWD vehicle with traction control and adjustable ride clearance (up 5 inches extra clearance if needed). Tires are fairly heavy duty all weather M+S rated, but obviously not nobblies.

It's this one, just in case a pic helps: http://www.audi.com/audi/com/en1/company/history/predecessor...

Already been thinking about packing a pump/compressor of some sort. Plus probably a spare rim + tire since the spare it comes with is a "get you home" type.

Good news is that I am doing this trip with 4 guys, so plenty of pushing power if needed in an emergency. Having said that, and as indicated in my initial post, I'm not looking to do super extreme stuff anyway -- but we do want to do some backcountry (if only the well travelled backcountry).

Would you have any concerns about the fact that it is a newer Audi attracting any unwanted attention in terms of theft etc.? Not having been down there yet, I don't know what to expect in terms of petty crime etc.

You will be fine in that vehicle for most anything except long stretches of deep sand and steep dirt grades. The manpower is a plus as long as you know when to offload all that weight. If you're forced to drop down to 12 psi at some point, dont continue to drive around on harder surfaces with all that weight w/o raising the pressure back up to at least 25 psi, assuming LR C tires.

Also consider carrying a tow strap. They can be had cheap at Walmart. If your real stuck, most anyone coming by will attempt to pull you out BUT not everyone willing will have a tow strap.

If you're concerned about storage space for these items, TELL THE PASSENGERS TO REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF CLOTHING THEY'RE BRINGING. Consolidate in the name of safety. You're guys, right? Make shorts and tanktops last for 3-4 days, at least.

The theft is something to think about. But there are ways of deterring that. I use a device that locks the brake pedal in place. Difficult to drive with no brakes and it also wont let the shifting column move. I have a cover that goes over the entire steering wheel that alerts them to the device so they dont break in, only to discover the device after the fact. But it is in English, so maybe not as effective in Baja.

Since yours is probably a gasser, you could remove the coil wire or maybe remove the rotor from inside your distributor. That's hard to trace. Or a hidden switch between the ignition switch and the hot side of the coil.

I'd also begin considering the specific routes you might try and post which ones they are. Then, let the locals on these boards tell you the most current conditions. If some are iffy, choose other routes.
expatwanderer

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 10:36 AM

Yep, we will be travelling very light, and I am going to check out "The List" on these forums to make sure we pack the essential gear - I have already looked at it briefly in my early research. I'll also post my potential route for comments when I figure it out in the coming weeks.

Thanks to Hook and all for the continuing advice -- very, very useful. I'm really looking forward to the trip.
Kell-Baja
Nomad

eureka.gif posted on 9-28-2006 at 01:58 PM
Rent a 4x4

Check out www.cabaja.com if you decide to rent. Either way, HAVE A GREAT TRIP!!
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 02:14 PM
One more thing............

.............how many gears is the Allroad. I know its probably an auto, but how many gears within the auto tranny.
SoCalAl
Nomad

Mood: Hungry

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 02:23 PM

Hello expatwanderer,
We (thre other friends and I) did the rental thing in early July but we only went up to Bay of Los Angeles (BOLA). We did go of road a little bit to mission San Borja, I think it's call. Punta la gring and little off roads here and there. We rented a Jeep Laredo 4x4 including Mexican Insurance and unlimited miles for 8 days. I believe we paid more for the Mexican insurance than the rental but the bottom line was we paid about $600 or so. Now what do you get for that price is a nice trip, in a nice car (semi-new) since it only had 9000 miles on it and no need to worry about maintenence when you come back home. I looked around for rental agencies and was quoted some really high prices as high as $1500 for the same amount of days. But then I found this deal with Thrifty Rent a Car...
Pickup Location : LOS ANGELES AIRPORT, CA, USA
5440 W. CENTURY BLVD LOS ANGELES INTERNATIONAL APO
LOS ANGELES, CA 90045
UNITED STATES
(877) 283-0898
Well if you plan to stay mostly on the main highway, I believe this is a good deal.

Have a great trip,
SoCalAl
Alex L
:spingrin:

Ahh Baja.... Where you can hear yourself think & commingling with the locals will humble you.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.