Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Donations to Good Causes in BOLA
howat
Junior Nomad

Mood: Retire Feb 2010

[*] posted on 9-25-2006 at 05:21 PM
Donations to Good Causes in BOLA

I have not fished or camped in BOLA for 20 years. I use to camp on the beach by the turtle place and pay i $5/day for all. The last 5 or so years have started going down again on a friends camping trip to Concepcion Bay (kids grown up). My friend always brings many donations usually soccer outfits, bags, shirts, ball etc. from schools in the San Diego area. THIS year i convinced him and his buddies to go to BOLA instead. I'm towing my boat this time, 1987 Cabo 216. It's old like me but like me it's motor runs just fine.

Question: what kind of donations would be helpful for the local residences and where/who could we donate them to? We'll be coming down with a couple of trucks lightly loaded in March 2007 for 2-4 weeks. Probably starting out camping at Daggett's for no particular reason cuz it's been a long time.

Dennis
aka Halibut Howie
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 9-25-2006 at 06:58 PM

Not sure on the what, but as far as who, try Carolina who runs the museum. She'll help you distribute.
Also, Victoria at Costa del Sol motel & restaurant is a helpful, honest person.

Buen Viaje.

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2006 at 07:21 PM

Dennis,

I will be in Bahia de Los Angeles until our holidays and then coming back in late December. If you'd like I can ask around the area (Carolina, etc) and let you know what is needed. If that helps, let me know. If not, maybe next time.

You can contact me via this thread or...

mhumfreville(at)hotmail(dot)com

U2U via bajanomad

At any rate, good luck with your efforts - they will be appreciated.
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2006 at 09:25 AM
Donations to Bola

Dennis,

You may want to check out the post established by Mike Humfreville titled "Refilling SCUBA tanks in Bahia de Los Angeles."

Suggest that you may want to refer to my last post, made today 9-26-2006 under dean miller. The first part of the post is about an interesting local Bahia personality. The second part idenified a number of items we have donated over the years to the library and the clinic. This may provide some sort of a guide for you.

We tend to donated items that will make life better for the individuals, via education or medical supplies. The library can always use new books and the clinic always needs expendibles, bandages, tape, etc.

I also note that you have a relationship with a halibut. So have I. I have not drowned a worm on a stick since I was 5 years old, but have stuck my share with a spear. Since I turned 75 on the 22d I am little old to begin drowning worms. However, to the point.. in the very early 1960s for a short timeI held the halibut spearfishing record..small world!

dm
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2006 at 04:41 PM

I ran into a guy at Rancho Sta Inez last year. He was wearing very ragged clothing, and was very nice to talk to. I think he lives in a very small trailer on the premises. I asked him if he could grow a garden, and gave him some vegetable seeds; he was happy to have them and showed me where he intended to plant them. Anyway, I'm sure a couple tshirts, socks, a jacket, a sack of rice, pasta or something would be very much appreciated if you'd like to drop by and see if he's still around.
Also, drop off a Baja-related book at the Baja Cactus Motel in El Rosario (next to the gas station) for the new library which will be open soon!!
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2006 at 05:08 PM

Mike,

Thanks for your offer to ask Carolina. Dern and I were just talking about that very subject this morning. As you know I have quite a bit of clothing that I've collected and would hate to 'dump' it all on her door step, unless she was up to the task of distrubuting it. Also a couple of the businesses in the area have been collecting goods as well. Maybe Carolina can point us in the right direction. Mia might also have a suggestion as well. Padre Eric was always happy to receive donations, but I don't think he's there anymore.

While I was teaching I always had quite a large supply of crayons, markers, const. paper etc. at the end of the school year that I used to take to the ejido school directly. I was later informed that the materials never made it to the children's hands for at least a couple of years. One has to be careful who they trust with their donations.

Wilderone, we also drop off clothing at Rancho Santa Ynez, south of Catavina. (same place?) Matilda is always very appreciative of anything we give her.

Looking forward to hearing back from you Mike, we're heading your direction in 7 WEEKS!

Saludos!
P.<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
bahiamia
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2006 at 09:21 AM

Whatever you bring along will be appreciated by someone down here. Yeah, you could get in touch with Carolina and she would help you out distributing. Also Meche here at the phone office is helpful in getting things to the people who need them. The Padre comes in here all the time so between all these sources there shouldn't be a problem.

It's hard for to find infant and young children's clothes so if you happen to have some of those items, that would probably be good to bring. But anything will appreciated.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.