Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tijuana Border Problems
Bomberro
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2006 at 08:44 AM
Tijuana Border Problems

We crossed the border at Tijuana on Sept 24 at about 10 AM. As we made the turn from the road that runs along side the US Border we made the left turn at the signal and made the immediate right turn into the lanes for the border crossing. We were directed by a Mexican Police Officer to enter the far right hand lane about 100 yards up the curving ramp, this is the 'high occupancy lane' and also the 'Sentri Pass' lane. We by luck stayed to the far left in the lanes that branched out ahead, we could have gone to the right and been in the Sentri Lanes. We noticed that the two far left lanes are for 3 or more people on weekdays and this being a Sunday felt lucky the Officer had directed us into these lanes, we saved about 45 minutes of wait time. Our Son-in-law was not so lucky!
The next weekend he and another car were directed into the same lanes, he unfortunately wound up in one of the Sentri lanes. At the inspection booth, the Border Patrol Agent did not care that he was told to take that lane by a Mexican Cop, he was sent to secondary, they told him he could either be fined 5,000 dollars or be sent back into Mexico to try the border crossing again. Our Son-in-law explained his demise of following the Mexican Police Officers directions and it fell on very deaf ears, the officer told him it happens all day long. He was sent back into Mexico and had to do the whole thing over again. This is a failure of both the US Border Patrol as they do not have control of the entry lanes inside Mexico, and the Mexican Police Officers for misdirecting returning tourists. Beware!
Miguel de la Noche

Mood: Excelente!

[*] posted on 9-26-2006 at 08:50 AM

I got caught in the same mess a few months ago, and I was leading a caravan!! Ended up being the worst crossing we ever had--of course it was on a Sunday. I reccomend not using the HOV lane--the signs are confusing and it has not been any faster for years.

Thanks for the info about the 5,000.00---I almost went ahead and thought I could talk my way through--but thankfully had second thoughts.

Miguel de la Noche
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2006 at 09:08 AM

"This is a failure of both the US Border Patrol as they do not have control of the entry lanes inside Mexico"

While I agree that control on the Mexican side of the crossings can be chaotic, Why is this a failure of the US Border Patrol?
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 9-26-2006 at 09:27 AM

Had the same issue when wecrossed in August on a Monday ~12 noon.

This time though the cop directed us out of the lanes to the border and said to go to Avinida Revolucion. When we got up to Revolucion, the cops there were just closing down that access point to the border :rolleyes: :mad:

We made several trips around the traffic circles and then said SCREW IT and crossed over the yellow Caution Tape, like many others were doing, when the cop was distracted writing up a ticket. Who knows, we might still be there, if we had continued to follow the directions of the Mexican cops.

Hopefully, the new route to Otay Mesa will help with the traffic back-ups....
Bomberro
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2006 at 07:23 PM

I really think that most of us are used to following orders from Policemen directing traffic. In my case, he had the lane partialy blocked with his motorcycle, the only way we could have not gone into the HOV lane would have been to run him over. I think that the US Border Patrol should realize that we are victims in this and not further punish the poor tourist. By sending us back into Mexico or imposing a huge fine, adds to the wrong already commited by the probably misguided traffic cop. The Border Patrol probably knows exactly what is happening, who are they to protect and serve, the Mexican Traffic Cop? That is why I feel its a fault of both agencies. One mis-directs and the other punishes!
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-26-2006 at 08:17 PM

I think it is appalling that anyone, Border Patrol or not, can force a US citizen, against their will, into Mexico. That is called "deportation" and in the case described, a massive abuse of power and probably a civil rights violation.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
Bomberro
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2006 at 06:43 AM

This is actually quite common, by both Mexico and the US. For example, if you are entering Mexico and came in through the 'declair' lane, if you happen to have somethings that are considered commercial and need to only come in through Otay Mesa, they open the fence and put you into the line to cross the border into the US. When you are at the entry to the US, they can do the same, divert you back into mexico. I guess one could in some strange circumstance go into an endless loop and starve or run out of gas at some point. Kind of like the guy that was stuck inside the New York Airport by US Customs and could not leave, Tom Hanks....
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2006 at 07:10 PM

ditto x dos
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-27-2006 at 07:13 PM

Or I guess that you could voice your displeasure with the instructions, and find yourself having an enjoyable afternoon at the secondary inspection area where a great time would be had by all..........

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.