Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Shrimp and Crab?
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 04:34 PM
Hey Chuck

Welcome to Nomads. When the time is right, Monaco will set his string of 25-30 crab pots @ BSM. When we help him with the harvest, he rewards us with a sh**load of beautiful blues. Check your U2U. Rob

[Edited on 9-28-2006 by BajaRob]
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 08:31 PM

BR
any relative idea when the right time is?? I'm thinking of a long weekend sometime this fall for a blue crab feast somewhere south of san felipe..

first time visiting the area...where should I go?? beach camping, a little solitude, and blue crabs would be my immediate needs..any ideas anybody??
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 09:35 PM

perhaps im just spoiled with the dungness in oregon
the king crag from alaska
martian crab (a relitive of the king crab) near rosarita beach i had mine at popotlain january was told march is even better for $20.00 itwas bigenoff to feed 4ppl they cracked it and deep fried it was great but im a steamed crab guy
the stone crab fron futher south on the pacific
so im not impressed with the other small ones
i had a soup in loreto with a leg or 2 and some body meat that was imposable to get out of the shell i should refrase that i couldnt get the shell out of the meat
in the soc theres shrimp golore some of the best in the world
the lobster is ok but better on the pacific sideyou can dip any of it in real butter ( mexican butter is great) and chase a bite with pacifico and your in heaven

jerry and judi
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 10:15 PM
Pacific crabs

The plug:

We are proud to offer a Dungeness crab entree. It is 6oz fresh picked local crab. No shells to hamper your dining experience. It is served on a large platter with a garden salad, fresh fruit and steamed fresh veggie blend. Your choice of fresh drawn garlic butter, homemade dressings and fresh baked whole wheat italian or french bread.:wow:

This has become a very popular item at Sharks. Actually, almost as popular as our cioppino.

Many restaurants shy away from serving fresh crab because it ain't fresh for long.

It ain't cheap either. If you have to ask you probably can't afford it.:bounce:

Now, enough of the plug.
----
I have spent my whole life along the Pacific Coast. I have caught many crabs in my day. ;D
Jerry is correct that the delicate texture and taste can be easily overwhemed by over-cooking and over-flavoring. :yes:

My all-time favorite is steamed Dungeness, next would be non-freezer burned, quick-broiled King Crab.Then I would say Red Rock Crab comes next followed by Spider Crabs.
I have tried the Atlantic and Gulf rock crabs, they are pretty good but those shells are rediculously thick and not that meaty. I haven't tried the crab in the SOC but those green lobster definitely need some help with flavor. Broiling with garlic butter seems the best. :biggrin:

I'd like to try those green babies. I've seen em while diving. Too bad they are off-limits.:cool:

I'll throw anything in our cioppino sauce. It compliments crab well. Just don't need to cook the flavor out. Couple minutes is all. (drool)

[Edited on 9-29-2006 by Sharksbaja]

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 10:23 PM

I'll be in Netarts bay with 6 traps down next weekend !
Last year we got our limit almost every day - 16 per person and all the rock crabs you can catch.
Oh boy, I hope the crab are filling their shells and waiting for my bait ! :lol:

My favorite is my wife's light and tasty crab cakes with freshly diced red and yellow peppers and jalapeno ! Just a touch of bread crumbs inside and rolled in Panko on the way to the pan ! Ooooo, I'm getting hungry !!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 10:25 PM

Diver, I hope it's as good up there. They are killing them here in Yaquina Bay right now!:yes:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 10:28 PM

And how did I forget her wasabi aoli !! Mmmmmmm.....
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2006 at 04:03 AM
TT

I haven't been able to figure out the the best time to soak the pots.
For beach camping, Shell Island is hard to beat. For an improved campsite there is Nuevo Mazatlan @ KM32.
This thread got my taste buds tuned up so I bought two live crabs @ the docks in Campbell River yesterday. Boiled em up in saltwater and dipped in drawn butter with sourdough bread.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2006 at 08:31 AM
sounds like fun...

shell island (peninsula-whatever:smug:) with the kayaks. some hand lines with chicken necks and a dip net...don't forget the old bay spice!(drool drool)

Are crabs legal to take for greenkoats??
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2006 at 10:30 AM

It is my understanding that we greenkoats are not allowed to take shellfish. Enforcement is another matter.
Look us up when you come down. I will loan you my best Newport trap and buy you a Dos Equis fria.
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2006 at 10:47 AM

I think the best shrimp I've ever had was at the Bay of Conception. The shrimp boats come in during the day and we got 2 kilos for 10 bucks.
Fired up the Hibachi and feasted with those babies wrapped in foil with beer and butter....and a few shots of Tekillya. Damn those were tasty!
Can't get any fresher than that.

Over the Summer Safeway had a sale on Russian King Crab legs for $7.99 a pound...Great Rib Eye steaks for $4.99 lb too. Had a wierd craving for vodka after eating the crab for some reason....

[Edited on 9-29-2006 by Cincodemayo]

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-29-2006 at 10:49 AM

Legality of catching crabs by noncitizens? Tomas T.! Is crabbing with a string and a chicken neck OK? :D Wouldn't want to break the law.:O Is it legal or not? Anybody know for sure? :)
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2006 at 05:53 PM

Baja Rob...

Look forward to it..I'll steam the blue crab!

Cyp, there is a personal consumption law for crab in that area, I read it on the back of the new twenty$ bill:lol:
I would be more than happy to buy them crab from a local providing they are live and kickin!
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2006 at 04:46 PM

Crab, shrimp etc. Get the water boiling and toss 'em in!:D
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 9-30-2006 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Legality of catching crabs by non-citizens? Tomas T.! Is crabbing with a string and a chicken neck OK? :D Wouldn't want to break the law.:O Is it legal or not? Anybody know for sure? :)

According to the flyer that came with my Mexico fishing license, "it is illegal for any non-citizen to take shell fish or crustations!" [sp]

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 07:19 AM

Seems like an odd law.:?: Guess visitors way back when must have been foraging off the seashore. I suppose enough people camping in an area and eating carbs etc. could have an impact. Have heard of folks going into an area, catching clams and canning as much as they could haul home.:o
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 07:46 AM

cypress its been happening for years tourist taking 3 or 4 milk crates full of clams and eating a bbbdozen or so and letting the rest spoil . or catching 30 or so fish that will rot before they get them home . one of my pet peeves
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 12:18 PM

jimgrims, I see!:light: We can thank some of the "back in the good old days" folks for these restrictions.:(
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.