Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: HOW ABOUT SOME LAUGHS?
M
Nomad

Mood: looking for joy...

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 11:02 AM
HOW ABOUT SOME LAUGHS?

The board has been dwelling on some pretty heavy stuff lately, how about lightening it up? Back in the 'Amigo's' days, a thread was started, 'What's the stupidest thing you ever did in Baja?' it went on for weeks and was really entertaining.
How about we start one here' What's the funniest thing that has ever happened to you in Baja?' What about tricks played on someone? Revenge? whatever, lets keep it light. I contributed mine a month ago, 'The Porta Bote Story'.
Who's next?
Hugs,
M
pargo
Nomad

Mood: Baja Nomas

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 11:10 AM

I agree wholeheartedly, let me start with these laughs..see if they work...:lol::lol::lol:
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 11:18 AM

I had my alternator go out in Santo Tomas. I was told to go to maneadero, where I found a mechanic . He immediately went to work on my car. I tried to get a quote from him, but he kept brushing off my requests and put his head down under the hood. Next thing I know he's jumping inthe back seat of a car (that barely ran) and bailed with my alternator in hand, and not a word to me about it. Five hours later he came back. I was a little concerned about the price to say the least because I knew nothing about this guy, and less about how much it costss to rebuild an alternator. At the end of a very long and frustrating day, the alternator was back in the car, and she fired up perfectly. He promised me it would make it to Cabo. I asked how much, and he said $1600. I about soiled my pants (which was premature because the "Montezumas" from the Nopales I ate while waiting didn't set in till Guerrero). I was beside myself and, speaking perfect fluent spanish, was hurtling every bad word I could at this guy, who was in turn becoming irate defending his perfect craftmanship and ethics. My friend, who didnt speak a word of spanish, was next to me, mouth wide open, thinking we were about to go to blows. You know how spanish gets when its all worked up - and we were there for sure. My buddy tugged on my shirt and asked what the deal was. I told him, "the deal is 1600 hundred bones". He about died too, then asked, Dollars or Pesos? I stopped - thought about that for a second, then looked at my new best friend and asked, "Dollars or Pesos"? He laughed. "Your car isnt worth that in dollars my friend!"

[Edited on 9-28-2006 by Bajamatic]

yuletide
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 11:18 AM
M is for missing

I wanted to see that "Bote" thread so I used the search feature. Are you aware that your past posts in the archives are gone or not available M ? :(

Not too funny, sorry.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 11:20 AM

try porta boat. its recent.

yuletide
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 11:25 AM
uh, ok I tried

Yes, there it is but not the whole story follow-up. When I hit "find" I just get an error message for M.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 11:42 AM

Bajamatic!:lol: Good story!:bounce:
M
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 11:43 AM
Sharky...

Thank you Kate, I just got back from U2'ing it to Sharky.
Glad you enjoyed it.
Hugs,
M
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 11:46 AM

The old road to Punta Abreojos had made it impossible to unlock the back doors of my camper van. I pulled the hinge pins to get my 2 1/2 gallon emergency gas can out, and had it sitting on the floor behind the front passenger seat.

We pulled into an reten and when the kid with the rifle opened the side door, the can bounced out onto the ground. He said to his buddy, in espanol, "hey, look out it's a bomb!" I said in my "best" spanish that it couldn't be a bomb, 'cause that would be against the law. Everyone laughed. The troops continued their lighthearted search and asked the usual questions. Drugs? No. Explosives? No. Arms? I said actually I am armed. The atmosphere went stoney cold. Until I said "pero es solomente my tirador" and pulled out the sling shot I had carved while sitting around camp.

We left them laughing, but I'm not sure I would do it again now some decade later.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 11:47 AM

Our first trip down Baja from Canada was a bit of a trial. First we got into the wrong lane entering Tiajuan, and suddenly were in downtown Tj with no idea where we were, or how to go back to the boarder, all we knew was that we needed to get tourist visa's and we were totally lost. After about 3 hours of driving around, we finaly made it to the border, where we had to go back into the US, and then turn around and get back into Baja. Did that, and got on the number 1. Everything was going fine, spent the night in GN, and went off on day number 2. Didn't we get lost in La Paz (trying to get to Cabo). Wound up on a dirt road from hel!, at 9:30 at night, trying to find our way. We eventually saw city lights, and to our amazement (amusment) found ourselves in what we thought was Cabo. Found a cheap hotel, and thought we were pretty smart. 3 days later we were talking to some american's and found out we were in San Jose Del Cabo, not Cabo. ;)

We jumped in our car and high tailed it to Cabo, and quess what??? We hated it. We hated everything about it, now we avoid anything in that area if at all possible. We try to stick to tiny towns, and camp as we go. Can't get enough of Baja!!!!:spingrin:
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 11:53 AM

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One says to the other, "does this taste funny to you.?"

The other day I went shopping for camouflage trousers, but I couldn't find any.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 12:02 PM

wilderone!!:yes:
M
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 12:31 PM
These are GREAT!

:lol: keep em commin.
:bounce::bounce: :lol: :yes: :tumble: :biggrin::)
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 12:35 PM

grover!:biggrin: Keep the story going!:tumble:
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 03:31 PM
About 12 or 13 years ago...

camped at the end of a goat trail on a beach 10 miles or so north of Santa Rosalillita, one hour before sunset. My friend and I realize the ice in the cooler is melting fast and, not wanting to spend the next few days chugging hot Tecates, I volunteer to race the '85 Subaru back to town believing I'll find a wealth of ice on offer. I leave my buddy on the beach to set-up camp, build a fire, etc., and promise to return in "half an hour or so."

On my way into town I realize that I not only have the flashlights in the car but the lighters/matches as well. No biggie I figure, I'll be back soon enough. Of course there's no ice on offer at the tiny little store there so, resigned to warm suds and with the sun setting fast, I head back on the road north. Trouble is, I can't remember which path my friend is at the end of...and the more I drive around, the more I get lost and the more each road mimics the next. With dark a few minutes away and gas draining and anxiety on the rise, I decide my lone option is to head BACK to town and try to get some directions to the beach we were on, hoping my description of the point will be enough.

It's dark now, and I get back to the store and begin pleading my case to the senora there. She is basically like, "What the hell can I do about it?" Predictably, some half-drunk local is listening in a stupor, his mouth half open, and kindly offers to steer me back to the beach in question "for a few beers." He SWEARS he knows the place I'm describing.

So, he hops in the Subaru and off we go. At this point (and mind you I was 19 or so at the time) I'm figuring there's at least a 50% chance I'll shortly be stabbed and dumped beside a dead yucca....but what could I do? The guy spends 15 minutes insisting I must have some weed the car (which I didn't...I don't think) but lo and behold, after 20 minutes driving, he finds the turn off! We bounce along the sand for a few and eventually, emerging from complete blackness into the headlights, my buddy walks up - freezing cold and none too pleased about having spend 2 hours+ huddled in the pitch dark alone on a remote beach in Baja. "Did you at least get the ice?"

Of course, I had to give my new buddy a ride all the way back to town (I marked the turnoff on my way back) but he was rewarded with a few - warm - Tecates.
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 04:26 PM

I might add that the guy in zaggins story and the guy in my story is THE SAME GUY!!! I think he needs new friends.

yuletide
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 04:27 PM

oh - and now he knows spanish. "No Tire Basura"

yuletide
kellychapman
Nomad

Mood: heavenly

[*] posted on 9-29-2006 at 01:49 AM

what a horrible and stressful situation as it is rather scary and frustrating when you have such an adventure. I got lost taking the Tecate route one night and then a truck was turned over in the middle of the road.....and had to turn around and go back down a winding and very dark route.....took me several hours to get back on track....omg it was horrible....you should venture on up to Loreto as it is a wonderful place and I like you am not a fan of Cabo.....simply because of its size....life is an adventure when you are on the roads in Baja....wish you lots of luck in finding wonderful small towns and not going through what you have already been through. Have a great and safe trip ....and the more you do it the easier it gets.....hmmmmmmmmm.....I think....:spingrin:
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2006 at 07:21 AM

About 5 years ago my two retired brothers and I were on our annual 10 day Baja adventure trip. After spending most of a day wandering around Santa Rosalia taking in the sites and sounds we head north. They're in the front and I'm in the back seat of the truck laying down. Just as a fish truck comes along I let one of those quiet but very stinky farts. The fish truck passes and both brothers start yakking about the smell from that truck. They go on for miles about the smell and how could the driver of the fish truck put up with it, it must be for fertilizer. Surely no one would eat that stuff. I was laughing so hard I was crying. I never did tell them. Everytime I think about it I start laughning.

[Edited on 9-29-2006 by TW]
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 9-29-2006 at 07:24 AM

Bob H
I didn't want to offend anyone with my post about not liking Cabo, it just isn't our type of place, my personal theory is if I can get mcdonalds somewhere, I could have stayed home.
kellychapman
we to like Loreto, we took the kids there last may, and we are bringing them down again this november, my youngest has already said that he NEEDS to get back to Loreto
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.