Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Asuncion to San Diego and back...border line report
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 05:03 PM
Asuncion to San Diego and back...border line report

A huge GRACIAS to the person who suggested staying on the toll road all the way and not taking the exit that says San Diego...I doubted this as we drove through downtown TJ but it worked like a charm when all of a sudden there we were in a nice short line going real fast until the couple 2 cars ahead were hauled out of their car and cuffed and carted off. We crossed at 5:00 on a weekday afternoon and traffic was light.
I was telling my pals in Ensenada I was a bit worried about the toll road travel and they assured me it was no problem in the day....strangely enough that was the day of the big shootout at the playa exit...I guess I passed just after all the hoopla....whew.
Now, something I didn't know was that the new tourist cards rule that EVERYONE crossing the border needs a tourist card that are issued at the secondary inspection in TJ. Smartass me says to my family, oh I'm sure we can get them in Ensenada...wrong...but eventually we did. So the jefe at immigration says Oh NO, you can't get them here, you have to go back to TJ...crap...but after alot of humming and ha-ing he says well if you pay a fine I'll issue you one...great....the fine is 50 pesos each and then he made us pay 50 more pesos to the secretary there to fill out the form....yeah, whatever....so the price of a tourist card in Ensenada is now up to 300 pesos...IF the jefe is in a good mood I guess. Weird. Only boat people can get their visa at that office....silly. Anyway, it was a great trip except that travelling in a mexican suburban, we got searched alot at the checkpoints. Oh yeah, they had a drug dog at one too. We stayed the night at Motel Sanchez which I always like in San Vicente and had a great trip...my favorite quote of the trip was from my nephew...it was his first time ever in baja and after about an hour going through desert, I ask him what he thinks of baja so far and he says.....it's a whole lot a nothin!! true, which is what I love.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 05:43 PM

Shari...are you saying if I tow my boat behind my Motorhome I can get my visa in Ensenada??

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
SiReNiTa
Special Correspondent

Mood: Savoring life while saving the world!

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 05:45 PM

border...yuck yuck and doble yuck!!!

Live life as well as you can,
don\'t regret the things that once made you smile,
learn from your mistakes,
and thank God for every second he gives you upon this earth.

Visit me at
Http://BajaScents.Scentsy.com.mx
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2006 at 10:32 PM

Shari-

I think the immigration guy might have been looking for some extra money. I know that guy has a reputation. I'm sure others will pipe in but I was under the impression that one could get a tourist permit at any immigration office. Also, do you pay the fine to the bank or directly to the officer?

Looking forward to visiting in Oct/Nov. I'm surprising Tracy with a quick trip to San Pedro Martir this weekend as she won't be able to join me in October. This will be her first time to the Observatory.

See you in a month.

Zac

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.