BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: What's the SCARRIEST thing in Baja?
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 9-30-2006 at 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AmoPescar

SO, TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT...DO NOT DRIVE AT NIGHT!!!! IT IS NOT SAFE AND YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT DANGEROUS THING YOU MIGHT ENCOUNTER!!!!

True that, we got a late start heading home after a last day of exploring and ended up driving towards El Rosario in the dark. Just after crossing the bridge near where they dry chilies on the hillside my dad hit something in the road that made his full size 1984 Chevy pickup literally jump into the opposing traffic lane :o. Luckily, there was no traffic there at the time.

There was nothing visible in the road that made the truck do this, and to this day we do not know what caused it. We did not stop. We have heard stories of banditos painting large boulders black and putting them in the road to cause accidents and then loot the crash victim, but in El Rosario?

We made it safely to our camp spot in the mesas north of El Rosario without further incident. Vowing to in the future follow our usual rule of no night driving.
JG
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2006 at 11:19 AM

1990 got in a wreck North of Santa Rosalia towing a 21' cc. In the middle of passing a motorhome the drivers side trailer wheel left the pavement at 65mph and hit a drainage pipe support (12''x12'').

We were neck and neck at the time and started fish tailing...not good.... The motor home dropped back and watched us bearly keep it on the road until we pulled off in a turn out.

The axle had come off and drove the wheel thru the bottom of the skiff...bent the trailer and the axle something fierce. Got temp. repairs on site and full repairs in Santa Rosalia two days later. Bummed a grinder and some glass/resin from a yachtie and made it to Los Brailes to catch a 66# Wahoo!

I would recomend to strike a price before any repair...My freind got beaned but good!
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2006 at 12:08 PM
Spiders

Spiders--even the little ones--have always given me the creeps. We were driving along the Gulf Coast near Buena Vista one night on that old road [safe after dark--you couldn't go fast enough to do any harm] when a huge herd of spiders suddenly appeared. They were black as sin, the size of small dogs, and all headed toward the north--crossing the road diagonally. It seemed like we traveled through them for hours [my phobia at work here]. EEEUUUU!

But besides giving me the creeps, this also made me curious. Do spiders migrate, or what? Anybody know about spiders?

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-30-2006 at 01:08 PM

election day when they stop selling booze........................

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2006 at 04:20 PM

"el vikingo de Punta Abreojos on Tequila"

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
Halboo
Nomad

Mood: Bohemian

[*] posted on 9-30-2006 at 06:19 PM

I think drunk driving gabachos are my worst fear down there.

One of the very few times I drove after dark in Baja....
About 25 years ago I had a pal that had bought Lorenzo's old cabin at Salsipuedes and we headed down late after work one night with his esposa, and another buddy for a few days of surf and relaxation.
Well, when we got to the locked gate(we had a key); parked almost directly in front of the gate was a late model (240Z?) sports car that was just becoming completely engulfed in flames.:o Judging from the ever increasing number of rusty hulks I'd seen on the slope of the Mirador just to the north, I was pretty sure we had encountered your basic insurance fraud. They were possibly watching us as we stood gaping at the flames. However....
Our other not so savvy buddy, thinking there may still be someone inside, snatched the drivers door open and nearly singed his face off.
We ended up standing there; watching the fire, passing around a couple ballenas until it burned down enough for us to drive safely past.
The next morning after a surf, we went up the road and checked out the completely burnt down to the steel belted hulk; positive there had been some sort of evil doin's about.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-30-2006 at 10:46 PM

Another great story M. Jack London would have loved it. I was once attacked by a couple of dogs and their teamwork in assaulting me was real scary.

The moving spiders were undoubtedly migrating tarantulas. They do that in the fall. Funny, I would have found that fascinating.

I actually treasure baja's dangerous adventures. They always seem to be the highlight of each trip. It's hard to decide which was the most dangerous but having my boat break down far out in the Cortez without help in sight ranks up there. Here is the story I wrote about 2 years ago:

I subdued the fish and tried to start the motor. It wouldn't budge. I freed it and spent the next 20 minutes trying to restart it without success. I started to feel a mild form of panic overcoming me. I took a long look at the horizon. The sea glistened with an oily calmness and there wasn't a soul in sight. I felt a shudder run up my back. Alex was still excited about the catch: "But dad, we caught a DORADO!". I got out the oars and started rowing towards Haystack. A blue whale appeared next to us out of nowhere, sighed deeply, and sank into the abyss. After a while we started to see the outline of a panga fishing at Haystack. We stood up on the seats and waved shirts and oars to get their attention. There was no response. The boat remained stationary. I rowed on. At first I rowed vigorously, but the sun was so strong I started to feel an intense heat in my head followed by a nauseating headache. I slowed down and stopped frequently to douse my hat in sea water. As I rowed and got closer the panga morphed into a commercial fishing boat and Alex waved and shouted still louder, again without response. Two hours later, hot, thirsty, and exhausted I pulled up to the vessel. A man appeared at the rail and threw a rope over the side of the squid fishing boat. Three young men lay dozing on deck under the awning while the remainder slept in the cabins below. "Didn't you see us?", I stammered between gulps of drinking water. "Yes, of course we heard you but we can't weigh anchor until the Capitano wakes up". I just couldn't believe it, but was so exhausted that I, too, slumped on deck amid the squid slime of last night's catch and kept drinking. Alex, on the other hand, was full of energy. The crew took a liking to him and, to his pleasure, taught him how to fish with a handline. We had the motor examined by a deckhand who concluded that we had blown a head gasket. By late afternoon the capitan awoke and towed us back to the cove. We thanked him profusely and I gave him our prized catch in gratitude (over Alex's protests). Our friends at the campground were relieved to see us and called off next day's search party that was being organized.
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 05:40 AM

"el Vikingo de Punta Abreojos on Tequila":fire:

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 08:10 AM
This was in La Paz

Dont want to see this in the sea when Im looking for food
pangamadness
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 08:12 AM
This was in La Paz, 2nd try

pangamadness
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 08:15 AM
This was in La Paz, 3rd try

This photo stuff has me trubbled
pangamadness
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 08:18 AM
This was in La Paz, 4th try

pangamadness
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 08:21 AM
Still trying?

If this works it will show a very big shark with in a very small photo

la paz shark Last try 2nd.bmp - 9kB
pangamadness
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 08:26 AM
Help

Can any one tsll me how to make this bigger? It was sent to me in an e-mail
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 09:27 AM

This is a combo of the scariest and funniest...a friend and I went camping in San Roque, near Bahia Asuncion (long before I lived here). We pulled in to the beach after dark and I set up my tent. While relaxing on the beach watching the incredible night sky we heard voices close by at one of the deserted houses. I had heard stories about narcos (drug runners) coming in here at night needing gas or water etc. and that they could be dangerous. This little fishing village is abandoned and there were no cars or lights of any kind there so I figured the voices belonged to the bad guys. I was pretty worried and we stayed in the locked truck all night and didn't get much sleep waiting for them to come and kill us in the night. Anyway, in the morning I saw a group of young teens at that house so I went over there....turns out that it was the teens of some fishermen there camping too and they were scared shi*less when WE showed up as they thought WE were drug runners cause my friend had a fancy truck so they doused their lights and music and stayed up all night afraid we were gonna kill them!!!HA HA..we had a good laugh and had breakfast together.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 12:23 PM

Shari. :D Scariest thing in Baja is your imagination!!:light:
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 06:40 AM

Shari
be heading back soon for another stint. Got to see Chuy and his son, also mi amigo Armando & familia.

Stay in touch, will try to touch base with you on next visit.

gpurrm@hotmail.com

graet place, great people!! George

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 06:45 AM

capt. mike you kill me.:lol::lol::lol: i agree
kellychapman
Nomad

Mood: heavenly

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 07:22 AM

large animals in the road....Alto only means Alto when you see someone coming, so eye contact and a wave of hand is always best.....little children on small motorcycles....doors opening when you ride your bike around town....just a few little scary things for me.....and that shark....now that is scary....:wow:
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 02:55 PM

Another really scary time was in Ojo de Liebre (Scammons Lagoon) when a huge gray whale named La Puchona took us on a wild ride. This particular whale was very strange and pushy and overplayful to the point of being a bully. She liked to push boats around and sometimes batted them out of her way like a cat toying with a mouse. Mostly we tried to avoid her but she would come looking for us to "play" with. Her favorite ploy to freak out the whale watchers was to swim on her back under the boat...and pick up the boat on her chest holding it with her 2 pectoral fins and then swim fast upside down with the boat on top of her...there is nothing you can do when your panga is on top of a whale but pray...some tourists think it's funny but I know how dangerous a boistserous whale can be and she really made me nervous and at times downright scared.
Sometimes she would play karate joe with her tail slashing close to the panga and other times she would toss the panga around with her nose....She scared me many times but the worst was when my daughter Sirena was in another boat and Puchona got real rough with them. there was nothing I could do to help and I could hear her crying and knew she was scared. She hated La Puchona and didn't want to go out for the rest of the season for fear of running into her again. remember that sirena?
Most of the time whales are lovely, gentle creatures but there is always a bad apple among them and one should be very careful when dealing with a psycho whale!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.