Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Plastics in Baja
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 03:09 PM
Plastics in Baja

What can we do to slow down or completely stop the burning of plastic bottles etc. in Baja?

1. I have read and have been told that burning plastic is bad for our environment.

2. Aluminum cans are presently collected and used for recycling here. There is no deposit on aluminum cans but the metal alone has value here and is thus collected.

3. What could be done with plastic if enough is collected to make some process worthwhile while not potentially damaging our environment?

Any experience or ideas??? Thanks!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-1-2006 at 03:28 PM
Not Likely

In the USA, where there is a firmly established network of recycling facilities and plants to reuse plastic waste, only a small percentage of the goods find their way into that system. Most are still taken to landfills.

I can't see ANY possible way that Baja or anywhere else could establish facilities that would be economically self-sustaining without support funds from a public source.

Face It. There might be a few people running around who have a moral concern for this problem, but UNLESS there is a profit motive for the average Lower Wage Mexican, there is NOTHING that is going to be done.

Since I travel back to the U.S. (usually) once a month, I pack all of my plastic waste in Trash Bags and haul it home to place in the recycling bin. I used to do the same with my aluminum cans, but I've found there are a number of Mexicans who come around looking for those, so I save them up until someone stops by. This, of course, is not an option for many who live in Baja, but EVERY drive-in tourist should be doing it.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 10:36 AM

Great Idea Mr. Bill. Should we be bringing back other trash/recyclables? What happens to paper (food boxes, cardboard, etc.) in baja? I typically burn them in our remote campsites.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 10:44 AM

why cant there be a deposit on the bottles like in the states??at least they wont be burned then bury themtell another use comes along??

jerry and judi
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 01:19 PM

Recycling starts with you...don't buy stuff in plastic bottles and non returnable glass bottles and carry a cloth grocery bag when you buy things. and pack out your plastic trash when you leave Mexico. Just leave all cans in a pile somewhere as most kids and lots of adults pick them up. I put them in a box that can be burned later. I always try to pass on recycling tips to everyone including mexicans when they look at me weird in the store...I usually explain to the check out folks why I don't want plastic bags. I figure change starts slow but education is the key and I just keep plugging away at it. Our garbage collectors are always amazed at how little actual garbage we have. I've turned my family and neighbours here onto composting too. It was just last year the municipality actually put garbage cans around the town and sold them to residents. Things are cleaning up here considerably, conciousness is changing. One day at a time, one person at a time.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 03:03 PM
Buying Plastic

While avoiding products in plastic containers sounds good, It isn't really an option in the majority of cases. Additionally, I'm not so sure where the tradeoff levels out. The choice is usually between plastic and cardboard/paper (in few cases glass) and either is bad buried in a landfill or burned. In my case, plastic is probably the better option since I save and recycle that. Other than Newspapers and magazines (which I also take back), the rest of the paper products get burned out at the dump. It is unavoidable to have to burn some paper goods.

No matter how much we recycle the materials, though, the key is what the Mexicans do and, unless there is an economic incentive, they aren't going to recycle. I was in favor of redemption fees on containers long before they became reality and I've preached that they should be far higher than what they are to encourage a whole new breed of private enterprise.

For years we've also taken cloth ice bags to the market with us. It's a great idea. I've got bags I purchased 20 years ago from West Marine and they're still in good shape.
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 05:35 PM

but mexico is headed the other way its only been a few years ago that they started the no deposit no return beer bottles and immedatly there were broken bottels all over i think they need to start at the top

jerry and judi
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 10:53 AM

I see more and more products in Mexican grocery stores packaged in boxes rather than tin cans and plastic, so perhaps the manufacturers are getting in on the act. For instance, I see salsa now in little boxes (can be burned or are more biodegradable), and pouches of tuna, baby food. And now I see many varieties of beverages in powder form in small tubes which you just mix with water - no cans, bottles - just re-fill your travel cup and use your own water supply. Big difference in packing these small items vs. bottles and cans. I traveled the past 4 days, and had green tea with lemon, lemonaide, and a ginger herb beverage all in the palm of my hand, with no waste to deal with. It would be nice to think that plastics are no longer acceptable and there will be new solutions forthcoming. But Shari is right - just don't buy the stuff that will end up with something the environment must deal with in long term.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.