Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: San Pedro Martir-Quick Trip-Long Border Wait
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 07:23 PM
San Pedro Martir-Quick Trip-Long Border Wait

Decided it was time to take the wife on a date so I suggested she pack her bags. We left San Diego about 4:30am on Saturday. We often leave an hour earlier but I decided with all the recent excitement that we'd "sleep in" a bit. I am not one of those against driving at night but am also keenly aware of the dangers...especially over the weekend between TJ and Rosarito.

Crossed the border with no hassles although something I've never encountered. All the lanes were closed as you crossed into Mexico and were corraled into one lane that went through Mexico Secondary.

As we headed towards Playas, we came to a Police roadblock (both directions) and were waived through. About 5 miles north of Rosarito, though, I started noticing oncoming traffic with their hazard lights on. I slowed down and kept looking for the accident or hazard. Sure enough, a car was upside down in the middle of the lane (southbound) and another car was just to the side. There were no officials there yet and everyone looked dazed and confused. I drove on knowing the Police were on the way but kept thinking about the inherent dangers in life.

Nothing else to note on the way down. As we approached the turnoff, I noticed a small cafe and decided to grab some breakfast. Good call!!! Cafe Lupita is the name of the place, the building is yellow, and it's on the south side of the road. Breakfast will set you back $30 pesos with coffee another $10. I'd definately stop there again...in fact, we did on the way home.

Did the drive up to SPM. This was the wife's first visit to the park so we stopped and took plenty of pictures. Arrived at the park to find the Ranger's office locked up. We would return later to pay the camping fee of $10 pesos per person per day.

We set up camp at the far meadow to the south of the ranger station. After a nap and some exploring, we decided to explore some of the roads. We had a great dinner, a few drinks in front of a roaring fire, and hit the hay early.

The next morning we relaxed some more before collecting our gear and heading back down the mountain. As we approached the border, I suggested that we head straight to Otay Mesa as traffic would be heavy. As it turned out, we spent over 5 HOURS in line. Oh well, more quality time together.

Zac

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 07:26 PM

Excellent breakfast at Cafe Lupita

Cafe Lupita at SPM Turnoff (Small) (Custom).JPG - 48kB

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 07:30 PM

Our camp

Camp in the meadow (Small) (Custom).JPG - 49kB

fandango
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 08:11 PM

bajaboy: sounds like a nice trip. what time did you arrive at the park? anyone else camping? did you see any wildlife? i think the rosarito-ensenada bike ride was this weekend, maybe why the border wait was so long.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 08:44 PM

Fandango-

We arrived at the park about 11:00, I think. As for people, we only saw a couple of biologists but nobody camping. I have camped there now three times and have had the place to myself.

Zac

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 09:10 PM
Cafe Lupita- Which turnoff?

I assume that you mean the turnoff that goes up the mountain to the park?
Which would make it just South of Colonett?
Is this correct?
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-2-2006 at 09:50 PM

Thanks for that report! Inspires me to try to get up there this month!
Bummer at the border! But not all is lost!! You now have the record for longest wait!!
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
I assume that you mean the turnoff that goes up the mountain to the park?
Which would make it just South of Colonett?
Is this correct?

Yes, the turnoff to San Pedro Martir from Hwy 1.

Halboo
Nomad

Mood: Bohemian

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 05:14 PM

I can smell those Pinos from here!
There are some great views up there and the stargazing is the best.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2006 at 08:37 PM

5+ hours!!!! :fire:

Your wife is a saint! :dudette:

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger! :biggrin:

We went down Monday to pick up some chairs we had reupholstered in TJ and were complaining about the 10 minute wait in Sentri!

Viva Baja!!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.