Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Passports ?
pangamadness
Nomad

Mood: Under H20

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 07:36 AM
Passports ?

If a family of five goes to baja should the kids 6,8, & 10, have passports? Thats kind of a big cost. Anyone know if birth certificates work for kids?

Someone said the law is not in effect yet?

Any thoughts will help. Thanks.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 07:43 AM

Sorry, but all must have their own PassPort
http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 07:47 AM

The law is not in effect yet. Do a search on the forums for FMT, if you are going further south than Guerrero Negro you all need those as well (to be legal). I'd recommend getting the passports now as when the deadline draws near it will take forever to get them. For air/sea travel the law is effective 12/31/06; for land 12/31/07. As far as birth certificates, they are supposed to be originals or certified copies.

From the State Dept website:
"PASSPORTS: U.S. citizens who travel to a country where a valid U.S. passport is not required will need documentary evidence of their U.S. citizenship and identity. Proof of U.S. citizenship includes an expired U.S. passport or an original birth certificate. A certified copy of the birth certificate is also acceptable, but it must have the registrar’s signature and a raised, impressed, embossed, or multicolored seal. If you were born abroad, a Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship, or Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States will suffice. To prove identity, a valid driver’s license or government identification card are acceptable provided they identify you by physical description or photograph. However, for travel overseas and to facilitate reentry into the U.S., a valid U.S. passport is the best documentation available and unquestionably proves your U.S. citizenship.

On effective dates below, all travelers to or from the Americas, the Caribbean and Bermuda will be required to have a passport or other document that establishes the bearer’s identity and nationality to enter or re-enter the United States. On December 31, 2006, the requirement will be applied to all air and sea travel to and from Bermuda, the Caribbean, Central and South America, Mexico, and Canada. On December 31, 2007, the requirement extended to all air, sea, and land border crossings. For more information or to confirm effective dates, visit the State Department’s consular web site www.travel.state.gov or the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s web site at www.dhs.gov."

[Edited on 10-4-2006 by bajabound2005]

[Edited on 10-4-2006 by bajabound2005]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 09:59 AM

You have time before Passports are required of land travelers to Mexico... from the web site Al gave a link to:
New Requirements for Travelers

October 3, 2006: This information does not reflect important changes to the WHTI expected from pending legislation. We will update this page once that legislation has been finalized.

The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004 requires that by January 1, 2008, travelers to and from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Panama, Mexico and Canada have a passport or other secure, accepted document to enter or re-enter the United States. In order to facilitate the implementation of this requirement, the Administration is proposing to complete it in phases following a proposed timeline, which will be published in the Federal Register in the near future.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 11:42 AM
Something --all are forgetting ---

If there is some type of attack or "incidence" occurring in the U.S. , the borders will be closed and only holders of VALID U.S. Passports will be allowed to re-enter the U.S.

I was told that if you do not have a passport , you do not enter.

* libs, all about choice until you choose different
* B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
* Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
* Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
* Lets win the War on Terror
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 11:57 AM

I agree with Cerveza...They are good for 10 years and serve as valid ID anywhere.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 01:31 PM

It is hard for me to imagine why anyone would not have a valid passport at all times.... not just planning a trip.

Example, three years ago my sister who was living in London called me in a total panic. Their 4 year old daughter was in critical condition at Paddington Hospital, they really needed family support, could I come immediately. I zapped up Virgin Atlantic, ordered a discount e-ticket, dug the passport out of the drawer and 36 hours later was at the bedside.
(Good news, after a 45 day induced coma little Sarah not only survived but thrived)

So, how would I respond to that sans p.p.???

More than once I have had a call from a friend or relative saying, "Hey, pack up, we need to go to _________ tomorrow." O.K., let's ramble!

Without a passport you will have about 6 weeks to contemplate that kind of offer.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 10-4-2006 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by beercan
If there is some type of attack or "incidence" occurring in the U.S. , the borders will be closed and only holders of VALID U.S. Passports will be allowed to re-enter the U.S.

I was told that if you do not have a passport , you do not enter.

Great point Beercan. I knew there was a good reason... if I was following the rules.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pangamadness
If a family of five goes to baja should the kids 6,8, & 10, have passports? Thats kind of a big cost. Anyone know if birth certificates work for kids?

Someone said the law is not in effect yet?

Any thoughts will help. Thanks.

Not in effect yet.

And it's not a big cost if you start applying for a passport for each of the kiddies every 2-3 months. Spread the cost out.

I'm getting tired of hearing this "financial hardship" defense for an item that only costs a few dollars each year to possess.

TELL THEM TO PLAN AHEAD!!!!!
beercan
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy to be in Baja

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 06:37 PM
Right on --it would be hard if everyone in the family didn't have one ---

That is why we are getting them for the Grand kids too.

Quote:

Great point Beercan. I knew there was a good reason... if I was following the rules.

Hey Al, my oldest son lives in Pleasant Hill, and works there in Concord.

* libs, all about choice until you choose different
* B. Hussein Obama - an Empty Suit for Empty Minds.
* Annoy a liberal - Work hard and be happy!
* Arguing facts & truth to libs is like bringing a warm smile to a gun fight.
* Lets win the War on Terror
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 06:49 PM

Quote:
Hey Al, my oldest son lives in Pleasant Hill, and works there in Concord.

Great ..This is a great place to work. Not alot of traffic and getting better every day. Downtown has really changed, and I love it. Pleasant Hill is getting like Walnut Creek, Lafayette and most of the rest of the bay area, SARDINE City. I cannot wait until that first SS check (last piece of the puzzle). I am Baja bound.

Albert G

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.