BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Shortcut to San Felipe side?
astrobaja
Senior Nomad

Mood: beam me up

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 07:44 AM
Shortcut to San Felipe side?

Hi all,

My Wife and I are heading out this fri for Baja!!!:spingrin:
It'll take 4-5 days to get there from Ontario. We plan on camping out near Meling and SPM. Near the end of our stay we want to hook up with a guy that does compressed earth brick buildings (like adobe) on the San Felipe side. I wonder if there is a shorter route to get there rather than going all the way back to Ensenada and the 3? I know there is a shortcut near Meling towards Mikes Sky ranch but we're pulling a pop-up camper with our 4X4 so I'm not so sure it would be a wise route from what I hear about the shape of that road!

Looking at the Baja Almanac there seems to be a pretty good route from San Vicente to Colonia Lazaro Card##as. Is this route in pretty good shape or are there better shortcuts?

thanks

Astro
bbbait
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 09:02 AM

Nope, sorry Astro. With that rig you're going to have to go back to Ensenada. But it's a great drive over the mtns (about 150 miles to SF), and worth seeing if you never have.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 09:52 AM

You have seen my photos of the route from Meling to Mike's and on to San Felipe, I presume? http://vivabaja.com/905 Pretty rough to pull a trailer over.

The San Vicente to Valle Trinidad road is GRADED dirt and possible in 2WD when I used it a few years ago... I suspect even okay with a trailer in 4WD.

Photos on that road are at http://vivabaja.com/baja_2001

The sure thing is what Wayno says, go back to Ensenada.

Hay Wayno, send me an email... your WebTV box is bouncing!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

astrobaja
Senior Nomad

Mood: beam me up

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 06:41 AM

Thanks for your input on this Guys!

David: I know you're a Toyota Guy so you may appreciate why I want to try out my new FJ Cruiser on some back roads!
Luckily our pop-up is a Starcraft RT which is made for off-roading (to a degree!)

--see ya in a few weeks, hope to post some pics of my trip!

--Astro
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 07:33 AM

The turn off to Valle Trinidad on hwy 1 is KM103 and marked Los Cochis 12, La Calentura 14. It will save you time and miles.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
The turn off to Valle Trinidad on hwy 1 is KM103 and marked Los Cochis 12, La Calentura 14. It will save you time and miles.

Yes, right near the L.A. Cetto vineyards!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 09:02 AM

I got the most thorough inspection I've ever had at a "pop-up" reten on that route. Physically it's mostly dirt with some tight curves, kinda bumpy with a few rocks and rain channels cut across the road, but not too bad if you go slow. The soldiers can be a bit suspicious as to why any tourist would go that way.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 01:20 PM

VALLE TRINIDAD TO SAN VICENTE

I've been on this road a couple of times and it can have some rough spots, narrow spots and steep spots, but overall, it seemed to be okay.

I pulled my Carson 14 ft. Utility trailer (dual axles) over it one time and it was loaded with 2 quads. Didn't seem to be big problem, except had to really slow down in some rougher and narrow sections. I was pulling it in my Ford 4X4 F250 Crew Cab, but I don't think I ever had to use 4 wheel drive. I think a well made Tent Trailer would not have a problem.

I did have one problem, when I managed to bend the rim on a tire and it went flat. But, I just got out my 2lb. sledgehammer (short handled) and pounded it back into shape. It held air fine and I went on. I would plan on having at least one spare tire and two would be better.

(If you don't have a large hammer like that, they can be VERY USEFUL!!! I bought mine at Harbor Freight for about $5.)

If you want more information about the road, check with WILD BILL on Fred Metcalf's Baja Board. He may have more current information.

Michael
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 08:10 AM

sounds like a guy just needs to make his own decision on weather to go or not, even an "easy" trip can go gunny sack at any moment!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2006 at 09:33 AM

While anything can happen and the road may have rough sections. It was used in the June Baja 500 race. It's about 40 miles from hwy 1 to Valle de Trinidad. To go up to Ensenada and over is 130 miles.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.