BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Keeping dirt/sand out of camper...
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 05:01 PM
Keeping dirt/sand out of camper...

Last trip we parked right on the sand at the beach and it seemed like I swept out sand /dirt 10 times a day and it still kept coming in....had a piece of old carpet on the ground in front of the entrance...helped some but not enough....how do you keep the floor clean when camping?
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 05:03 PM

Biggger carpet, indoor outdoor.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 05:19 PM

Re-adjust your thinking! It's not dirt, it getting closer to nature! You been hanging around girls again????:lol::lol::lol:

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 05:20 PM

Better broom for the inevetable.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 06:16 PM

Jim, I'm with Neal. Clean it out when you leave. A friend of mine was telling the story of when he went to a Baja 1000 race with his neighbor. His neighbor wanted to take his new 4x4 pickup. They went down early and were gone 7 days. The guy was alway cleaning and wiping on it. Any speck of dirt he would clean it. After a couple of days the guy finally slowed down until finally he said the heck with it and let it get dirty. He never cleaned on it until he got home. When asked why he stoped he said he got tired of cleaning and besides it really didn't look as bad after a while and it certainly didn't run any worse, so why bother.
The Sculpin
Nomad

Mood: Riding into the Sunset, looking for a sunrise.

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 06:58 PM

Yes, a bigger indoor/outdoor carpet helps, along with a shade to go over it. No shoes allowed in the camper, and a pan or water next to the door helps too (dog like it too!), but then you also need a mat at the entrance inside the camper.

However, without fail, you do all that, and at the end of the day, you change out of your trunks and into your "evening attire", and a big old clump of sand that got caught in your trunks when you went over the falls on that ridiculous double suck up just plops right out and onto your clean sheets!!!

Damn!!
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Jim, I'm with Neal. Clean it out when you leave. A friend of mine was telling the story of when he went to a Baja 1000 race with his neighbor. His neighbor wanted to take his new 4x4 pickup. They went down early and were gone 7 days. The guy was alway cleaning and wiping on it. Any speck of dirt he would clean it. After a couple of days the guy finally slowed down until finally he said the heck with it and let it get dirty. He never cleaned on it until he got home. When asked why he stoped he said he got tired of cleaning and besides it really didn't look as bad after a while and it certainly didn't run any worse, so why bother.

TW...
I think this may be a cure for compulsive behavior?
Darn my LoL is not working so use your imagination!!!

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 07:08 PM

Well...it is a new camper and I wanted it to stay that way....maybe I am being too sensitive...will be getting some wal-mart slip on shoes to leave at the door....
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-4-2006 at 07:09 PM

" big old clump of sand that got caught in your trunks when you went over the falls on that ridiculous double suck up just plops right out and onto your clean sheets!!!"
Sculpin... you are a Baaad Boy

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
BillB

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 07:53 AM

Two suggestions. First you can glue some indoor/ourdoor carpet on the steps of the camper... Second, if you go to an RV store, you can buy long strips of carpet only a couple of feet wide. You can place that on the floor of your camper, and most of the sand just kinda soaks in keeping it off your feet, out of your bed, and prevents it from scratching your floor. Then all you have to do is drag it out the door and give it a good shake every couple of days.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 08:09 AM

just keep an inch of sand on the floor for Baja effect then you only need to worry about it getting tracked out .

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 08:11 AM

Guess everybody likes indoor/outdoor carpet....will try some....both inside and outside ...
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 08:21 AM
One more suggestion...

my Baja secret: cardboard boxes.

Before I head down, I grab 5-6 cardboard boxes (old ones okay), fold 'em up and stuff 'em in the back of my shell. They serve the following purposes:

Slice off one side, place it on your table/tail gate, etc., and prepare all food on it. Works great for fish-cleaning and clean up is super easy: Proceed to your campfire and throw it in. Small shreds also work well as fire-starters.

And an added bonus, you can throw a square outside your camper. Leave your shoes on it, etc. Perhaps not QUITE as dust-absorbant as the favored carpet, but way way less likely to stink of molder terriers, far easier to dispose of and, anyway you slice it, the dirt/sand war is losing battle (see: Sisyphus & the rock), so you might as well do it with a worthless tool you've got stored in abundance in your garage.

Cardboard boxes people. Get into it.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 10:06 AM
Once upon a time.......

.....I was camping around alot of other RVs and saw one guy that had the best outdoor rug I have ever seen. It was doormat sized and was about 1 inch high and was composed of some very stout and bristley synthetic grass; much more stout and wider "leafed" than what you normally see. What made this really unique is that the base was a strong grid with large openings in the bottom. The idea was, you scruff your shoes on this and all the dirt falls through the rug into the dirt below. It basically never fills up with material that you have to beat out of it.

Has anyone ever seen this stuff? I have looked on the Camping World website and didn't see it at Quartzite either. I've seen plenty of this stout leafed stuff that collects the dirt in the bottom of the rug.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 10:37 AM

billb -just what i was going to suggest! works great. for outdoor i use a piece of that astro-turf fake grass stuff.it's inexpensive and really traps the sand and dirt, as witnessed when shaking it out for the ride home.i use it as an antry porch for my tent as well...
lewm
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 10:46 AM
leaving shoes outside

Make sure you bang your shoes together before you put them on in the morning. I've found that scorpions like dark hiding places. Also found them under mats I have laid down.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 12:35 PM

This is the funniest thread I've read in a long, long time!

Come on, is this for real, or are you guys trying to bait us old Baja gals? YOU ARE CAMPING! LOL! Have fun.....deal with the sand and dirt when you get home.......my young son found a small pile of sand in my truck awhile back and said "look Mom, we brought some Baja back!" SHEESH!

Mean people suck!
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 01:26 PM

I've got a new girlfriend and trying not to show her what a slob I really am....:lol:
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
Last trip we parked right on the sand at the beach and it seemed like I swept out sand /dirt 10 times a day and it still kept coming in....had a piece of old carpet on the ground in front of the entrance...helped some but not enough....how do you keep the floor clean when camping?
I thought Howard Hughes was dead, not hanging lefts in Baja.:wow::wow::wow:
TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 02:36 PM

:light::light::light: how about...

a gas powered leaf blower?

a scuba tank with an air hose?

tipping the truck waaaaaay up so it all falls out the back?
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.