Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Shocks
Geronimo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2006 at 03:50 PM
Bruce

I think I have posted on a couple of other shock threads, same info. I should write an artical so I can just link to it. Hate to sound like I am ranting

\"The only cure is to be perpetually South Bound\"
~Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers from the song Mexicosis

Geronimo
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2006 at 06:22 PM

KYB GasAjust shocks can't be beat for the money. I bought a set of 4 for my VW bus for about $139.00, and they turned the bus into a Gonzaga road cruiser.
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 10:01 AM

Since i started this thread, I thought I would add to it all previous info that I can find (since there appears to be a wealth of it already posted). So far there's been a lot in quality info. Hopefully this will help bring in some more!

Quote:
Any good brand of gas shocks will improve things a lot off-road, but will slightly "stiffen" your on-pavement ride. Don't try and save money on shocks-----you pretty much get what you pay for, but will also get a life-time guarantee with the good ones.
On the other hand, if you go too high-tech, then the ride does get harsher------

Bilstine and KYB both good brands, but there are others.

Quote:

I've been real happy with my Pro-Comp MX-6 adjustable shocks. Compression and rebound are the exact same unlike the Rancho RS9000s which only valve compression - which feel like a pogo stick upon rebound on the dirt...

Quote:

I run Bilsteins on my Dodge Ram CTD 4x4 and have been happy with Bilsteins on all my past trucks. I am soon to be switching over to a KORE lift on the Dodge and will go with the King shocks...... if youre gonna go... go all out right?!!

So anywho, from past experience and 5 trucks:
Rancho's are junk
KYB are decent for a light truck
Pro Comp (first years at least) were junk
Bilstein have not let me down
Fox were worth every $$$ penny
King's are soon to be tested

Quote:

When I ran Rancho RS 5000s, I had oil seepage requiring two sets of shocks to be replaced under warranty. I then switched to RS 9000s on my Ford Ranger meant for an F150 pickup or Full Size Bronco. Those problems went away entirely. The ride was not as well controlled as what I feel in my Jeep with the ProComp MX-6 which dampens compression and rebound.

Quote:

You need to break shocks down into three categories, 1. non rebildable application shocks, 2. Rebuildable emulsion shocks, 3. Rebuildiable reservoir shocks.

If you want shocks to bolt on than the first is the only option. Rancho, pro comp, rough country and similar are all basically the same shock, they are a duel piston design. They all share the same qualities; they are very bad at getting rid of heat. On the roads we run on in Baja heat is the first enemy, adjustability of the dampening is secondary concern to heat dissipation. The only shock I will run in this category is the billstein 5100 series. The 5100 are a single piston design and do a much better job of heat dissipation. You need to realize that none of these shocks are sill functing on a trip to Gonzoaga from San Felipe. I have done inferred on many shocks; most OEM shocks will boil the paint on that trip. The two piston gas shocks that I have looked at will reach 200 degrees in less than 10 minutes of washboard, at that temp they are toast; most won?t come back when they cool, the bills do and that makes them worth the money in my opinion.

As for Fox, Bill 7100, 9100, King, Sway a Way and rest, they are in a different league. You need to Make mounts or at least modify your stock mounts and measure for length as they do not make these for specific applications in most cases. My XJ will use Bill 9100 2.5 coil overs in the front and Race Shock 16" remote reservoirs in the rear. That is about $1600 in shocks, the fronts are used. I use 5100?s on my Ranger and they are holding up well.

I have not used any of the reservoir non rebuildable shocks, lot of money for something you can't rebuild.

Anyway just what I have learned........

Geronimo

Quote:
Any good brand of gas shocks will improve things a lot off-road, but will slightly "stiffen" your on-pavement ride. Don't try and save money on shocks-----you pretty much get what you pay for, but will also get a life-time guarantee with the good ones.

On the other hand, if you go too high-tech, then the ride does get harsher------

Bilstine and KYB both good brands, but there are others.

Quote:

I've been real happy with my Pro-Comp MX-6 adjustable shocks. Compression and rebound are the exact same unlike the Rancho RS9000s which only valve compression - which feel like a pogo stick upon rebound on the dirt...

Quote:

I run Bilsteins on my Dodge Ram CTD 4x4 and have been happy with Bilsteins on all my past trucks. I am soon to be switching over to a KORE lift on the Dodge and will go with the King shocks...... if youre gonna go... go all out right?!!

So anywho, from past experience and 5 trucks:
Rancho's are junk
KYB are decent for a light truck
Pro Comp (first years at least) were junk
Bilstein have not let me down
Fox were worth every $$$ penny
King's are soon to be tested

Quote:

When I ran Rancho RS 5000s, I had oil seepage requiring two sets of shocks to be replaced under warranty. I then switched to RS 9000s on my Ford Ranger meant for an F150 pickup or Full Size Bronco. Those problems went away entirely. The ride was not as well controlled as what I feel in my Jeep with the ProComp MX-6 which dampens compression and rebound.

Quote:

I've run Bilsteins and still have them on the rear of my Z71. The last set of Bilsteins I had on my Toyota melted the rubber boot on the fronts coming up the road from Gonzaga Bay. I switched back to Rancho RS5000. I like the ride better, especially off road. I'd like to go with a reservoir shock but haven't found one that fits right without mods.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
David, give Deaver springs a call.They will make what you want and they are in your area.I would also go with a long leaf rather than a short overload type.

Ditto that - most any spring you buy at ORW will have been made by Deaver. Jeff Deaver and family have been doing this for a long time, and will set up most any race vehicle, chase truck, truck, trailer, rv, etc. according to the specific needs you have. They are in Santa Ana.

Thats the extent of what I found.

[Edited on 10-9-2006 by Bajamatic]

yuletide
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.