Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Short Trip report
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 09:13 AM
Short Trip report

Got in late last night from our trip and here are some short road reports...

We traveled..
HWY 5 from Mexicali to Hwy 1 junction
HWY 1 from Tijuana to Guerro Negro
HWY 1 to Bahia de LA to Las Animas
HWY 1 from Villa Jesus out to Pacific Ocean
HWY 1 out to Mission San Borja and on to Bahia de LA Road
HWY 1 to Mission Santa Maria (almost)
Of course not in that order...

Mexicali to San Felipe good shape, no problems and 1 checkpoint.

San Felipe to Puertocitoes (sp?) Good, some areas with no lines down the middle, abrupt Vado's keep your speed down until about 6 miles from town where they are still paving.

Puertocitoes to 1. For the most part good. There are many small washouts cutting into the roads from either side that could really wreck your day if you drift into one. If you stay in the middle you're fine. Stay in your lane and be very aware. From Coco's on there was one spot the road was messed up for 40 feet or so. About halfway to Hwy 1 they were grading the road so that was really nice.

Hwy 1 Guerro Negro to Tijuana. Good shape. From Ensenada they were working on the offramp to the free road forcing us to stay on the tollroad. I believe there was no checkpoints from El Rosario south to Guerro.

Hwy 1 to Bahia de LA. NICE! From Bahia to Las Animas-First part until at least Camp Gecko is rough. From Gecko to Las Animas not bad. Again some washouts eating into the side of the road from Hurricane John so watch out. From turn off to Las Animas normal except for all the vegetation from the rain. Did have one checkpoint a few miles from the Las Animas turnoff though.

Mission San Borja- From Hwy 1 not bad at all, from Bahia de LA road much rougher but no problems.

Hwy 1 out to Moreles and on to the Pacific. Very washboarded, never been on that road when it was smooth.

Mission Santa Maria. First time on that road. Very slow going. We were fully loaded with 2 kayaks and all our camping gear so it was real slow going. We turned around before the mission. We went through the palms and the creek bed and up the other side were we turned around. It was getting late, it was only us in one rig and I thought the Mission was near the Palms so we headed back.

Crossed at Tijuana, about a 1 hour wait at 4pm Tuesday afternoon.

[Edited on 10-6-2006 by Fatboy]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 10:23 AM

Thanks for the road report, man.......
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 10:44 AM

Thanks Fatboy! Gonna take pretty much the same route in a few months. Did you camp or sleep at motels?Thanks again!:tumble:
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 08:59 PM

7 days camping and 2 in motels. Stayed at Casa de Sol in Bahia de Los Angeles @ $50 per night. Nice rooms, room 7 was having some electrical problems but room 6 was fine. Normal rate is $65 a night.

We also stayed in Baja Cactus which was really nice and a bargain at $350 pesos.

We camped about 10 miles south of Puertocitoes, El Faro, Las Animas and just north of the Lighthouse Morro Santo Domingo which is due west/southwest of Villa Jesus Maria.
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 07:48 AM

Hey Fatboy,
Did you guys kayak fish at Las Animas? I've done quite a few shifts in my kayak and would like to compare notes, Later.....
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 09:53 AM

Thanks again!:)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 10:22 AM

Thanks for the rundown! I am sad for you that you were within a stones throw of the mission and didn't see it! I added some details and photos on your other post!

Because you asked, it's PUERTECITOS and GUERRERO NEGRO probably the two most often misspelled Baja places!

If you can, join Antonio (the owner of Baja Cactus) and I for the VIVA BAJA CACTUS fiesta on Nov. 4!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 06:24 PM

Quote:

Hey Fatboy,

No kayak fishing, no license and all that jazz..just a little shore fishing...

David K,
I purchased a T from Baja Cactus, hope it goes to a good cause... :lol:

Redding is just to far for something like that...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 08:04 PM

Purchased a T (?)

Oh, a T Shirt? Yes, for the El Rosario festival in July, Antonio makes them.

That's quite a motel, huh?... and for $35 double, not bad! Walk into any other area motel and compare... There is nothing close.

805 027.jpg - 40kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

aha baja
Nomad

Mood: wherever you go, there you are...

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 11:10 AM

Right you are David,Baja Catus is da bomb! Shine on cielito lindo for an overnighter. Supper clean rooms and GREAT plumbing for arround 35 bucks a night w/ 2 nice kings. UNBEATABLE for my money!!! So much for a baja secret:lol:

[Edited on 01-19-2004 by aha baja]
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 11:20 AM

Maybe, But do they have the Cielito Lindo special...greasy crab!!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
Maybe, But do they have the Cielito Lindo special...greasy crab!!

Dont you mean salty, greasy, overcooked crab? :lol:
aha baja
Nomad

Mood: wherever you go, there you are...

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 07:24 PM

Their seafood cominacion plate is actually pretty darn good but the crab IS swimmin' in lubes. I tend to get that acid reflux from too much oil. Now if I could dip it in drawn butter w/ajo then maybe:lol: but oil?:barf: and like in the topic...the rooms kinda suck for the buck compared to B.C.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 10-14-2006 at 11:58 AM

Muchas Gracias Fatboy for the rundown on the roads. It was smart of you not to drive to the Mission alone. Not a very good idea if something went wrong...

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2006 at 07:25 PM

Ken,
Never said I was smart :saint: .

I had to be close to it though when we turned around. I am still not clear how close, though..
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 10-14-2006 at 09:24 PM

You were a good 30 minutes away from the mission, although if the swamp swallowed you up, I'd say you would be more than 30 minutes away from the mission. :o

Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 06:33 PM

Well, like I said we were through the swamp and up the hill on the far side. I will go all the way next time just without all the Kayaks on top!!!
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 07:22 PM

Cool report, I can day dream in more detail about heading south,,,,,thank you:D

READY SET.....................

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.