Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexican Cel Phone Service
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 09:31 PM
Mexican Cel Phone Service

In the past, whenever a question has come up regarding various Cel Phone services, I have mentioned Telcel's Prepaid service as a good deal. After today, I'm not so sure that the economics work.

Just before I leave Baja I always put a fresh 100 Peso card on my service to rollover my time 60 days out, just in case. Last night the Telcel "Amigo" network was down so this a.m. I tried again before Heading North. My first indication that something was amiss should have been when the recording asked for my language preference which only happened when I originally setup the account. After adding my 100 Pesos, I was told my balance was now 138 Pesos good through December 4th. The only problem with that was that before yesterday's crash, my balance had been over 300 pesos (I'm guessing 338) good through November 9th.

This is the second time in two years that a balance of over 300 pesos has Vaporized.

Given that added cost factor, I guess perhaps it isn't such a good buy.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 09:43 PM

I had the TelCel prepaid phone card service from town previously.
When I signed up for it I wasn't aware that it was a "town" phone and only good for the San Felipe area, and not on the highway or Mexicali. Plus, in order to reactivate the phone each two months, I had to stop and buy a phone card. Well, I didn't use the phone much so I had a lot of minutes stored up, problem was, the lower cost cards(which is all I needed for an activation number) were always sold out forcing me to purchase usually a $30 card, storing even more minutes.

I finally looked into a Cingular plan, North America plan it's called. It has 500 minutes each month for all of Mexico, U.S., and Canada, plus it has roll over minutes as well. The phone works most of the way from Mexicali to San Felipe, works well inside my Beach House, and worked perfectly on the Pacific side where we had camped during the summer.

So all in all, I am pleased with my service. The bill comes to my house, and it is allways the same. No surprises. $64 monthly. And a lot more conveniant.

Have a great day.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-5-2006 at 10:21 PM
Telcel Prepaid

The Telcel Prepaid (Amigo) service that I have is good throughout Baja. I have used it in Tijuana, Tecate, Mexicali, San Felipe and points in between. In fact, I used it in Mexicali today. In two years, I have had only one occasion when the usual vendor was out of 100 peso cards and they came in the next day. Were it not for the "vaporization" occasions, it would be a great service.

Since all four of my telephone services (other than CrystalVoice) total around $75.00 (Verizon home = $24.00, ATT Cel = $34.00, ATT Prepaid = $6.66, Telcel Prepaid = $10.00) all would be OK if Telcel didn't lose minutes periodically.

I think my neighbor in Baja may have the right idea. He puts the minimum on his Telcel, uses the time and only puts a new card on when he runs out. Telcel service can be restored after it runs dry for 30 or 60 days afterwards. I may adopt his method and make it a point to always have a card on hand.
bajacrawler
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 08:03 AM
Tecel Prepaid Phone

I have had my Tecel prepaid phone since around the middle of 2004. So far I guess I have been lucky on keeping my minutes. As far as I know I have not lost any minutes yet. One time I was gone from San Felipe 8 months, so it was 8 months between cards. When I got back had them put a new card in my phone. It worked fine and even kept my old minutes that were previously on the phone. It works any place between Mexicali and San Felipe and points south. It works to call and receivecalls from the US. I live at Villa Marina and sometimes I don't get a signal. It never does that when I am in town. Two of my neighbors have the non portable prepaid Tecel phones and always are working when mine doesn't work. Also the people with cingular phones don't have the intermittent problem when I do. Anyone have this intermittent problem like I do? Maybe I just need to get a new phone. The Tecel tower is just west of me up on the hill.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 08:54 AM

I borrowed a friend's cel for the B1k 2 yrs ago, loaded up TelCel in SLRC where the young lady assured me it worked "en toda la republica". Yeah, right:rolleyes: Maybe in all Major cities of the republic. I was able to call home maybe twice, otherwise nada. I even remember trying it in one small town in front of a TelCel store- bupkis.:mad:

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 11:07 AM
A First !

Bajacrawler is the first person I've heard say that he recovered accumulated minutes after they had expired. Good luck on his part, I guess. That was not my experience on the one occasion when I missed the expiration by three days. No problem reactivating by placing time on it, but no past minutes recovered. Many of my neighbors who have Telcel and have let the time expire have the same experience. Once it was gone, it was gone.

I'll probably still keep the Telcel phone service, but I'll refrain from accumulating a load of minutes.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 02:18 PM
How long can my phone be inactive?

I have a cell phone that was activated in La Paz a few years ago and haven't used it since. Does anyone know if I can buy a telcel card, or do I need to return to La Paz to have them reactivate it?

Regards,

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
cat127
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 02:39 PM

When I come to Mulege, it was suggested I get a "sat" phone before I leave US...... anyone have any experience with that?

I would be really happy to have no communication but the new young lady that will be answering phones for us here says NO! She will need some communication...

Fate Smiles as Destiny laughs!
villadelfin
Nomad

Mood: toasted and buttered

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 07:35 PM

I just got cellular about 4 months ago in La Paz. The vendor said that if you go 6 months past the expiration of your prepaid minutes, the phone is dead and you need to reactivate by buying a new smart card or as they call them, chips. You can buy a chip for 110 pesos. It is a special promotion. there is also a Telcel feature, you call *256 and sign up for the free circle of friends plan. You can sign up your 10 most used telcel numbers and when you call them it only costs 1 peso per minute.
bajacrawler
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2006 at 08:26 PM

Has anyone been able to transfer the phone number from your (old) existing Tecel prepaid phone to a (new) Telcel prepaid phone? I have had my existing phone over 2 years. The battery does not stay charged as long as it used to. I was thinking it would be cheaper to get a new phone than buy a new battery. I also have the intermittent signal problem around Villa Marina (12 miles south of San Felipe)that maybe I could get rid of with a new phone. A lot of people have my old phone number.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.