Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: remote place to camp near San Felipe
boboji

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 02:04 PM
remote place to camp near San Felipe

Hi all!!!!

I haven't been down for many many years to this area.

Can anybody reccomend a place, on the beach, where ten 40 something guys can camp in a remote area.

We don't need showers, palapas, etc.

We don't mind paying and leave the beach cleaner than we found it.

Someone told me of a cove just north of town. Any info???

We'd rather not go all the way to Puertocitos for just the weekend. Where's your cool spot. Thanks!!!!!
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 02:52 PM

North of town can be pretty tough, lots of development. South of town, south of Laguna Percebu, there is a road which leads to Isla San Martin, also known as Shell Beach. It is totally remote, nothing, nada...write back if interested, will give directions.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 08:46 PM
Shell Island

Is what I called it for 30 years now... still the same... 4 miles of beach, dunes and nothing else but a couple shacks... and yes, please take any trash back off the island with you and keep it nice.

Photos of it are on many pages in my web site...

Exit Km. 26 and forget it if it is high tide during a full or new moon (why I call it 'Island' instead of 'Beach')! 4WD and reduce air pressure!

Aerial photo...

Satellite photo...

Last time there, 6-06... looking north towards Percebu...

6-18-06 042r.JPG - 35kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 08:48 PM

Does Shell Island sometimes get too windy ?
David K
Honored Nomad

lol.gif posted on 10-9-2006 at 08:51 PM

Only if it is windy :lol:

Packo... it is heaven on earth if you love sand beaches!

Seriously... it is usually perfect!

705 094.jpg - 46kB

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

boboji

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 09:04 PM

Does anybody know about this cove just north of town??
viabaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 09:19 PM

Isla San Martin??

That's a new one. Who coined that name?
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2006 at 11:51 PM

I know there is a camp called Cantu's cove. Not sure if this is the one you are inquirying about. It's behind the mountains north of town after passing the baseball field. You pass a section of brick houses and follow the road until you pass a school. The road turns to dirt and it's a few miles back down to the beach. I haven't been there in probably 15 years.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 06:36 AM

Isla San Martin.

There was a green highway sign up until just a few years ago pointing the direction to the Island named Isla San Martin (Shell Island). It wasn't at the preferred spot to enter from the highway but just maybe a mile north of that spot and south of the Percebu sign on another access road leading to the salt flat.

Call it what you want. It is great for shelling!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Isla San Martin.

There was a green highway sign up until just a few years ago pointing the direction to the Island named Isla San Martin (Shell Island). It wasn't at the preferred spot to enter from the highway but just maybe a mile north of that spot and south of the Percebu sign on another access road leading to the salt flat.

Call it what you want. It is great for shelling!

Yes, correct... some people tried to start a camp site on the dune a mile south of Percebu and named it Isla San Martin... A bus was parked up there and he talked of building a bridge across the lagoon to the island! That sign was still there, but faded on the highway.

Hey Chris (viabaja), can you email me? info*at*vivabaja.com

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 08:55 AM

I would think that beaches north of town are more susceptible to the severe tidal flows (no water for hours during the day - check the tide charts) - less so south. Si???
Anyway, there are tons of places south of town - just take those sandy roads and see where they lead and if it's to your liking. A friend and I did this, and after checking out our third road, ended up on some guy's beach at his own home! We set ourselves up south of his house, thinking we were in a public area. He came along a little later - was very hospitable and allowed us to stay. We offered him $5/nt. His friends/family arrived by boat still later - gave us a querying look as they passed - !! - but we had a great time, with the beach all to ourselves.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 09:41 AM

Getting back to Shell Island,

I wonder how they ranked in getting a green highway sign to mark their camp? Nothing really got going there. It's the same type of sign as Percebu or Santa Maria. I remember the bus now, it also had a 70's style fifth wheel next to it and some material stacked up of some sort. It was closer to Percebu, not really on the Island at all. More adjacent to the North end of the Island. I will have to take a run up there for curiosity sake and refresh my memory next trip (10-27).

boboji

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 03:12 PM

Anybody else have any info about Cantu's Cove?
viabaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 07:37 AM

Ok, now it's coming back re Isla San Martin. Some years ago I met the guy with his family who claimed to own the area in discussion (old bus to beach). His name was Mr Limon from, I think Pasadena or LA area. This guy had brought a backhoe down from the states to do some grading. What struck me were his plans to build a road across the tidal flats to the beach. At that time, I beleive it was considered a marine perserve.

Nothing became of it.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 10:19 AM

I, too, have not been to Cantu's Cove in several years. Last time was only a year or two after Steve Cantu died and his wife was making a run of it. We always thought it was the best, close camp to SF, much superior to the noisey ones south of the SF headland. It did have a shower complex and basic palapas. There was also a few homes built just north of the camping area. But it tends to get rocky when the tide goes out; sandy when the tide is up. It was also somewhat popular with locals on the weekends who would come to clam in the rocks.

I have no idea if it is still operating.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.