Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: No body in town
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 07:26 AM
No body in town

We visisted Bahia de los Angeles first week in October and were struck by the complete absence of the usual amount of snowbirds, tourists, travelers and the October crush. Nobody, and I mean nobody was in town. While on the water the radio was very quiet and we only saw one other gringo boat while fishing for 6 days and very few pangas. Even channel 16 was quiet. The RV spot in town had 1 renter, the taco stands were mostly closed, and the annual summer festival was cancelled.
Everyone attributed this to the recent violence on the main highway. I was told of 1 annual lease that was cancelled due to fear of driving down and many others that were 'thinking about it'. We all noticed very little US/Canadian traffic on the road - no one pulling boats, surfboards or kayaks.
Everyone has altered their traveling behavior, even the folks who live in the town. Here are the new rules I heard discussed: never drive at night, alway watch your mirrors for anything 'funny' and if so, drive with trucks (rumor is that they all carry guns), never pull over on the hiway unless it's completely out of sight of the road, never stop to help anybody unless you're on a dirt road or your absolutely sure it's safe and if you do stop to help pull in front of the 'disabled' car, have someone get behind the wheel and then go walk back to see what's up. The biggest shock to me was the feeling that most visitors who will continue to drive through north hiway 1 will start carrying guns and just hide them very well. I won't go that route but I can't honestly blame those that feel that way. A lot of ill-will, especially from the locals, towards the authorities for allowing this situation to develope and for not showing any headway in solving it. The entire town has completely gone off the deep end with respect to the Raquel Fife killing. I heard every possible theory imaginable and a few that weren't. I even wallowed in the mud myself but didn't find it very satisfying.
I am currious to know if other drive-to destination points in Baja are also suffering from lack of visitors. If so, then god help them if another incident occurs.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 08:10 AM

In contrast here in Mulege things have never been more lively at this time of year. I think mostly because of the Flood there are lots of people here spending lots of money and the economy is really booming. there is not a place to rent above the flood line.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 08:12 AM

and yes the fishing is the best we have seen in years. lots of 40 to 50 pound Dorado.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 08:27 AM

Thanks Santiago for the report... Did you get down to Gecko and see the changes there? I saw that Doc posted a Sept. 20 report on his web site... and confirmed that the camping business at Gecko is closed for business, for ever!:(

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

pargo
Nomad

Mood: Baja Nomas

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 08:42 AM

Very observant and well stated Santiago. Me and some people I know have become somewhat wary of the situation down there. When we're sitting around talking about the violence, I think we scare eachother even more with the "what ifs". I recently put off a Baja trip and chose instead to head north up the Cal coast. This is just me and my inner circle of friends with these feelings. Imagine all the thousands more that might hesitate going south. Heck yeah that'll make an impact. Hopefully the Mexican authorities will do something soon and some positive comes out of all this.
These are some very disturbing times in Baja right now...at least for me it is. Viva Baja cabrones!:D
movinguy
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 09:32 AM

Four of us will be driving down to BOLA next week for some whale sharking/island hopping/etc. Decided I wasn't going to let the bad guys get the best of me. Can't say I'm not a little nervous, though - will definitely heed Santiago's driving advice. :mad:
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pargo

These are some very disturbing times in Baja right now...at least for me it is. Viva Baja cabrones!:D

Yeah!, good outlook, I could get hit by a garbage truck in front of my house but I still go out, maybe Santiago just hit a good week in BOLA although I dont doubt the folks there are still affected by raquels death.
movinguy
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chino
[Yeah!, good outlook, I could get hit by a garbage truck in front of my house but I still go out, maybe Santiago just hit a good week in BOLA although I dont doubt the folks there are still affected by raquels death.

They found a guy dead in his car a couple of weeks ago (tentatively labeled a homicide) about a block from my house in La Costa - and we have police on every corner.

Life is like a box of chocolates, Forrest . . .:cool:
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
We visisted Bahia de los Angeles first week in October and were struck by the complete absence of the usual amount of snowbirds, tourists, travelers and the October crush. Nobody, and I mean nobody was in town.......and the annual summer festival was cancelled.....
Everyone attributed this to the recent violence on the main highway.....

Santiago,

When "nobody" is in town is the best time to be there! Sure it may be a bit tough on the local economy, but that will be quickly made up with the pre-runners and the race crowds that will soon be there.

Regarding the summer festival, we were there in Aug. I may be wrong, but I don't believe that it was ever planned for this year. Last year's dance prices were so high that most partied outside of the ball court. I wouldn't attribute the festival cancelation to the road violence as it hadn't happened at that point.

saludos!
P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 10:39 AM
Oct. is the most beautiful time of year------

------in Baja, and everywhere else, I believe. This year me and my "group" have decided to alter our normal trip to the Sea of Cortez for a 4x4 trip in the Mojave Desert, and maybe up into Death Valley. Vacations are for FUN, not for worrying. Who needs that!!!

Baja needs to clean up their act.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 11:42 AM

Gonna be down in the BOLA area in late spring '07 if all goes as planned. Will be working our way down to Mulege.:D Sorta rhymes.:light: Looking for a place to settle down for a while and do some fishing/diving etc.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 12:20 PM

Cypress, I sure hope you head over to see us, we'll show you the steamship wreck and spear a big grouper to BBQ and frolic sith the whales, dolphins & sea lions. My sister in law, daughter and I drove to San diego and back and were a little nervous and extra cautious...but we were happy that our brother in law/truck driver was behind us a ways keeping his eye on us! we have definately changed our driving habits here. Funny thing is all my Mexican friends have always told me to be cautious and watch out for the bad guys, nothing new here. With crack/crystal heads on the increase petty crime is definately up so ya gotta watch your stuff more. But it's still one of the safest places I know.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 12:43 PM

Shari, Thanks for the invitation.:yes: Asuncion sure looks like a great place.:bounce: Looking foreward to meeting you and your family.:tumble:
Janice
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 12:49 PM

We are still planning our annual trip around Thanksgiving...despite all the reports of violence. We are going to use common sense, drive only during daylight hours, watch our mirrors, etc. We are wondering about a new place to camp in BOLA since Gecko is not an option. Any suggestions?
Fatboy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 01:15 PM

We spent Friday night, Sept 29th, at Casa de Sol in BOLA and I believe every room was full. We then camped 2 days at Las Animas. The town did have any empty feel to it. I got the feeling it was an in between kind of time though. After the summer rush and before the winter rush.

We also stopped to offer assistance to a truck that was on the side of the road about 20 miles out of town heading towards Hwy 1. While reading all the reports of crime prior to leaving home and having very few checkpoints to go through, I must admit, I did NOT feel threatened/scared/apprehensive at anytime on our trip.

I hear about crime all the time around Redding where we live yet I do not feel it is unsafe. Crime happens EVERYWHERE. You can stay home but that does not mean your are any safer. About 5 miles from our place and ex CHP officer was killed in his home a few months ago.

Travel, live, have fun, be aware.

As far as DEATH VALLEY goes, wasn't that one of the hangouts for the lovely and kind Manson Family? Now, there are some folks to hang out with, no?
pargo
Nomad

Mood: Baja Nomas

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 01:51 PM

Yes, you can get hit by your trash truck outside of your house and I'd even goes as far as to say that in my neck of the woods(Burbank, Glendale, L.A. area) you are more likely to be a victim of any number of crimes including violent types. It's just the thought of being a victim in a foreign country particularly that scares me. I don't know what it is about that but I find that downright scary:o
I did choose to stay north recently but it was more because it was a sweet deal I couldn't refuse. You guys are right. Can't let the bad guys get to us. No hay que tenerles miedo a unos pendejos. Ellos son pocos y los Nomads son Muchos... a poco no?:tumble:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 02:27 PM
The Charlie Manson family-----

-------yes, Charlie and the girls hung out there in Golar Wash many, many years ago------but knowing that just does not approach the nervousness that a "foreign country" aspect presents that Pargo speaks of-------to each his own.

Actually we hope to visit the "ranch" where Charlie was arrested.

I too live in Redding, and have never felt uncomfortable here-------go figure!!! :lol:

As David K has said, give me the proper incentive and I too will revisit old Mexico again, but my friends are now adamant about not going back. Too bad, but that does influence me.

I STILL think that Baja needs to clean up it's act.

We will have a good time out in the boonies of the Mojave, and Death Valley, I am sure, in spite of the ghosts. :yes:
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Funny thing is all my Mexican friends have always told me to be cautious and watch out for the bad guys, nothing new here. With crack/crystal heads on the increase petty crime is definately up so ya gotta watch your stuff more. But it's still one of the safest places I know.

Word!
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 06:30 AM

hey jim ,good to see you down there. after you left alot of people came into town and the town was a buzz. we went into town for tacos and she was open along with everybody else. lots of motercycles and quads, pretty much back to normal. the north wind continued to blow and the inside desert temp. dropped down to 48 degrees. it was pretty much night and day weather and went from full summer to winter over night. see ya down soon and if you have a chance give me a albacore report for your area up there. looking for long fins.:coolup:
RockhouseTom
Junior Nomad

Mood: Really Ready to Go!

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 07:19 PM

Hey Santiago,
It was great to be back at the bay with my son after what happened last time down with my family. We had a great time and It was good to be in camp with you again. 4baja is right things did pick-up in town but I still think traffic was very light on the drive home. I hope things in Baja will calm down and people will just travel using common sense. My son and I plan on being down for the 1000 and my entire family for Xmas. So, keep the Baja dream alive, just travel with greater awareness!

\"FREEDOM\" William Wallace
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.