Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: its been about a month since the hurrican hit
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 10:19 AM
its been about a month since the hurrican hit

was wondering how muelege is doing and the progress thats been made ?? what the relief funds were used on??

jerry and judi
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 10:39 PM

wow i guess its not as important as a good bugger?

jerry and judi
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 11:58 PM
Point your question better

maybe you'll catch someones' attention.

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
was wondering how muelege is doing and the progress thats been made ?? what the relief funds were used on??

Oop, seems you did...

Yeah, how the hell is Mulege?

I assume your question(s) is directed at me? Were they(donated funds) used?? Curious.
Don't worry Jerry, as soon as the donation is final you'll be the first to know.
;D

"boogers" do seem important to some. Try switching bait Jerry:lol:

[Edited on 10-11-2006 by Sharksbaja]

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 12:11 AM

JERRY - your question did draw my attention right after you posted it - BUT not many people can answer these questions - that limits it down to maybe a handful of people from this BOARD.
You still had lot sof views.That means people look it up, if they can't answer it they just don't clutter up your thread, this is an serious thread -some people respect that.
I wish I could answer your question if I only knew them.SORRY that you're disappointed.

[Edited on 11-10-2006 by FARASHA]

Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 05:50 AM

Sharks. I didn't read into Jerrys question that it was pointed at you!!!! From what I understand there were others besides the one I sent money to, and yours. Why would you be so sensitive?
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 06:09 AM

I think part of the problem is most of the people here are in a sort of strange mood. kind of like post traumatic stress syndrome. I read your post right away and could not bring my self to post an answer. most of the folks here. just don't want to talk about it right now.

things are better now and as far as tourism is concerned it is almost normal. but for all the people that have lost there homes and every thing in them it is a very depressing time.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 06:37 AM

Also, putting a question up and then allowing only 20 miniutes late at night for all the responces isn't giving much time... even on a forum as busy as this.

Allow 48 hours before thinking nobody cares Jerry.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

FARASHA
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 06:41 AM

I do understand Bruce, but als those who want to know if things gettinger better etc..People outside still care and think of you - as jerry does.
And yes, most there suffer from sort of Post traumatic stress syndrom,that takes time to recover emotionally.That makes people thin skinned, others silly or having a rant.
Coping stategies differ.
Important thing is to let each one have his way to come to terms. Love to ALL Farasha

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 06:42 AM

jerry Ill take the good bugger if you are comeing this way.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 07:09 AM

Bruce, the Baja 1000 prerunning starts this weekend. A request could be made to Score to ask the prerunners to bring things that are needed and drop them off. Or a general bring what you can could be made. Where would they drop it off at?
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Bruce, the Baja 1000 prerunning starts this weekend. A request could be made to Score to ask the prerunners to bring things that are needed and drop them off. Or a general bring what you can could be made. Where would they drop it off at?

they could drop it off here at my place we are located right in the center of town across from the Laundromat.

things still needed are shovels, wheel borrows, plastic tarps, plywood, 2x4s any size, hammers, and hand saws, caned food.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 12:17 PM

i just asked 2 questions because i was looking for 2 answers
i think it was a legitamet question to who ever could supply answers
i wasnts pointing it and anyone
it wasnt 20 minuites it was 12 hours and 20 minuites
i may be able to understand some ppl not being able to talk about it?
my point in the second post was exactly the way i felt and to keep the post on the forfront

jerry and judi
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 12:29 PM

jerry! Lighten up.:biggrin: A good booger is hard to find.:yes: Gotta keep on digging!:biggrin: The folks in Mulege are dealing with it.:yes:
cat127
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 03:35 PM

I was wondering same thing - how is Mulege doing? Anyone have current pictures? It would be totally appreciated!!

Fate Smiles as Destiny laughs!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
i just asked 2 questions because i was looking for 2 answers
i think it was a legitamet question to who ever could supply answers
i wasnts pointing it and anyone
it wasnt 20 minuites it was 12 hours and 20 minuites
i may be able to understand some ppl not being able to talk about it?
my point in the second post was exactly the way i felt and to keep the post on the forfront

Right you are... I didn't notice the am vs. pm! However, as much as I am on Nomad, I first saw it after the 10 pm post... Give people more time to read the thread and react.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 04:57 PM

["they could drop it off here at my place we are located right in the center of town across from the Laundromat.

things still needed are shovels, wheel borrows, plastic tarps, plywood, 2x4s any size, hammers, and hand saws, caned food. "]

Bruce I'll pass It on to Score.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 05:15 PM

thanks TW

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 11:22 AM

Just woke up from my recovery siesta. Here's what I can report:

The Mood- Bruce said it pretty well. The walking wounded are starting to show a little sense of humor around the edges, but it isn't the same old jolly Baja resilience. Yet. I'm optimistic that we'll see the Baja spirit overtake the doldrums soon. The first onslaught was the water. After water receeded, it was the mud, dead animals, lack of water electricity and phone and general paralysis when all tools and support structures are suddenly MIA; in short a pretty big kick in the pants. Then, after the cavalry (road crews, electric crews, water Co. workers..), the long slog of real cleanup started. Mud was drying to cement-like consistency where not mucked out, and the smell was taking over (it still stinks BTW). About 1 in 4 or 5 Mulegenos are within the flooded area (my SWAG, not official), just for a general feel of the local magnitude if the issue, and of course nearly all of the local economy is derived from the gringo portion of that 20-25%. There is real worry about the next few years, as many (perhaps 30-40% of the small # of gringos that have made it to town to deal w/the situation) have dealt by clearing their place out & leaving for good. The bright side of that is that many of the 60-70% that are either full time or came to muck out are helping their absent neighbors by organizing or doing cleanup chores on other's properties, mostly gratis (there's that Baja resilience showing thru). In that respect, Leon Nolet of the Oasis park, deserves special mention; he has committed to fully restoring all common improvements in his park, and is fully engaged doing just that; he commissioned two dump trucks and a backhoe/loader and has moved at least a coupla hundred dump loads out of the park (mud, but also wreckage). I single Leon out not because he is totally atypical (he isn't), but because first, his committment is huge and disastrously costly, and second because not every such proprietor is acting accordingly. This is where you find out who is real in Baja. And I should mention Don Johnson also, who moved w/great speed to recondition his landing strip for use by relief flights (and from which he couldn't make a dime- no staff due to vacations and virtual shutdown in Sept).
But, folks are starting to get together for dinner, subdued celebrations here & there for minor successes, etc. I'm hoping that attitude will blossom such that the late gringo returners will grab onto that & not the earlier attitude of despair, as that is what we Baja for. If you pass thru Mulege, please drop a few bucks off somewhere for a meal, shopping or whatever (there are a coupla great carwashes along the highway and the first road to the west, so-called Icehouse Road, w/nearly detailing effort for 80 pesos; the one on the left by the thatched roof palapa has a beer stand next door w/a fabulous michalada for while you wait).

Schools- In session. Kids have no lesson books, but guvmint is working on that. Should be 2-3 weeks from last Thu according to the band teacher. Still need libraries rebuilt, sooo stay tuned for upcoming announcements on the Baja Library Project (no really, it'll be fun, I promise).

City Steets- fulla mud, but shovelers are working on it, barrow full by barrow full.

Clothing drive results- Here Nomads (from both countries) are batting about 2000 and can really take pride. The immediate needs have been so bountifully met that there is a massive pile of unclaimed clothing on the patio next to the Mision. Mostly those are donations from Mexicans south of Mulege (and may have presented somewhat greater challenges in bodily coverage and initial quality according to the latest clothing donation survey by JD Powers & Assoc.). The desire to help in some way has come thru loud & clear witht the clothing drive. A jillion thanks to all.

Cleaning a flooded house- Can you believe that pesky mud gets absolutely E-V-E-R-Y-where? If there is a miniscule crack, it was generously filled w/smelly, bacteria-laden slime. For example, the space behind a cabinet door hinge contains enough mud to absorb humiduty & smell, and cause an ongoing nuisance. Tile grout has, in some instances, a sort of ingrown discoloration (try CLR folks, & stiff bristle brush, but do a test spot to see it won't hurt tile finish) that, if you can't get it clean will need to be dug out for regrouting. Sheetrock or panelling has to come out to clean & disinfect the stud spaces. And cleaning it once isn't enough. First there is the heavy nasty muck-out. Then the more detailed muck-out to get the last 1/4". Then the first washing to get the film left over. Then the disinfecting wash. Every dish. Every towel. Every cabinet door, drawer, latch, outlet, switch, piece of trim. And that's if you did a 100% job on everything each step; if not, add a step. Then go to your appliances & see if they can be salvaged; remove the covers & hose out, inspect...blah, blah, blah, blah, one by one with E-V-E-R-Y-single thing you own. It's no wonder Bruce made the comment above about attitude. And practically everybody has been sick at some point (I'm now on Cipro, and was only there a coupla days, wife got sick too) to add to the doldrum. And then make a list of what went out as basura, or was washed away entirely. To say nothing of having to wash that precious fishing gear!!

Insurance- Most folks have initiated a claim, but not fully filed yet (full filed as in presented a complete itemization including monetary amounts for all insurance line items). Typically, not everything claimed is bing allowed, but I would say the response so far is predictably slow (lots of claims to process from East Cape where the hurricane winds hit, and probably pretty fancy losses there comparitively), and predictably pock marked with misunderstandings. Presentation of a homeowner's claim is followed by an initial estimate, the insured's counter offer (explain why the settlement allowance is nuts), followed by some additional discussion w/the adjuster. I'll wager that most claims will not be paid to the fullest satisfaction of the homeowner. The one I know of so far that has been settled, did not come up to my idea of complete fairness. I suggest Nomads w/an interest in which companies are coming across w/fair coverage should start a thread on this for both the wind and flood damage. Should be some interesting discussion. And THEN, there will be the issue of whether flood coverage will be offered within the floodplain again. Obviously it is a different risk when companies have paid out for Huricane Marty and now John on the same houses vs. hurricane wind damage which is definably more random. One adjuster said this will be the last flood payout for his company. First renewal I know of is 12/31, so we'll find out soon. On this score, BTW, I know of no Mexicans who have to worry about their coverage, for the obvious reason.

Whew!!! Now I'll go unpack the truck. Let me know what I missed, which is likely a lot.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 12:41 PM

thanks you Mike for the indepth report

jerry and judi
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 01:09 PM

Thanks Mike for the update;
When the going gets Rough, The Tough get Going.
You will do to "Ride the River With" My Friend, and I have never met you in Person.
Compassion and Brains!

Skeet/Loreto
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.