BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Truck bed storage options...
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 02:23 PM
Truck bed storage options...

Wanna pick the Nomad brain here 'cause my last "camper shell" thread prooved extremely helpful/insightful (after much deliberating between Caravan & Callen I decided to go Caravan - a little lighter/more utility). Now, regarding storage...

My current Baja set-up for the past decade or so goes like this: Camper shell with standard, cheap-y carpet kit. Surfboards go UNDER the center of the carpet kit (I can keep two boards of 6"8 or less under there), the side boxes of the carpet kit are filled with supplies (firewood, auto-tools) and the balance of the car is then filled with coolers and cargo boxes (food/supplies etc.), placed atop a tarp I lay out on the carpet kit (BTW, the ongoing debate over the best "cargo boxes" rages on...more on that later).

Come camptime, I simply unload the boxes, roll up the tarp and sleep in the shell. Simple enough but dust is a factor and...as anyone knows, 99.999% of all carpet kits are gigantic pieces of crap destined to rattle to bits on those washboards (mine being no exception...I was recently forced to do an 11th hour reinforcement with dowels).

So, I now have a Caravan Shell coming (which - with ventilator - should help with the dust) BUT I am still completely unsatisfied with the storage options out there. I have considered: Tuffy Truck bed drawers (http://www.tuffyproducts.com/truckbox/115.html VERY heavy and don't work well on trucks w/o a tailgate), TruckVault storage systems (http://truckvault.com/products/sports/ptype_pickup.asp compromise surfboard storage "underneath" and seem cheap-y) and, simply buying a few high caliber side boxes, lining them with carpet and fitting them with supports for a center piece (essentially making my own, durable carpet kit...though I worry most of those are designed for a truck w/o a shell and that access will be an issue). Also, I might just hire a local carpenter to custom make one for me.

First of all, is anyone aware of a product I am just totally missing? Does SOMEONE make a high-quality, storage intensive carpet kit (aka NOT made of particle board)? Has anyone had a similar thing custom made? (take a look at THIS guy's...I contacted him but his was custom made by an old family friend as a favor: http://www.earthroamer.com/main_truck/truck_blamour2500forsa...)

Also, on the cargo box front, I have been a fan of THIS guy :http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd150037 (tough, closed TIGHT, stays closed) but am itching to try out THESE fellas: http://www.pickuptrucktoolboxes.com/Delta_tool_boxes/delta_p...

Anyway, any thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be great and thanks to everyone who spoke up about camper shells...I can't wait to get my Caravan.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 02:29 PM

Have you thought about a utility truck bed...the one with all of those lockable storage compartments on the side? I saw one at a campground and the guy had all of the compartments padded...he managed to keep most of his "stuff" out of the camper, but the equipment was readily available.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 04:29 PM

Utility beds are great! But to purchase one and match the paint would be a challenge on a used truck, plus the beds are more expensive than you think. Sounds like you have a shortbed truck? I would toss the carpet kit hardware and replicate it with some decent 3/4" 11 ply plywood and then go with some of those Rubbermaid or Delta boxes of the medium size so they are easy to lift in and out. Each one could contain kitchen, emergency road gear, etc.. I would think that weight would be an issue if you have only a 1/2 ton truck? Not sure what type of truck we are talking about here...

Then there is always those great big coolers from Costco, I carry one just for the dry grocerys, as boxes or bags don't do that well camping/offroading/traveling. The coolers could work as your other storage solution.
They have them at for $65, I think they are 148 quarts. They have them at Boat U.S. and Big 5 as well

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 06:03 PM

I vote for the removeable, stackable, plastic boxes like the Rubbermaid Action Packers or the RoughTotes.

Lightweight, wont squeak, versatile use of your space (take a few or take them all with you) and certainly the lowest cost. No maintenance, nothing to go wrong.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 08:38 PM

Keep your eyes open for these guys. I bought a bunch of them at a military surplus place north of SLC UT. $20. bux a piece. They are all aluminum, with 10 mil spec. clasps, they seal hermetically. They nest atop each other. Roughly 10" x 22" x 33" long. Baja proven! The only problem I had was that before I found (recognized) the vacuum relief screw, I packed them at 3500 ft. and couldn't get the tops off at sea level. #@%&@# what a rip off I thought. Quite the contrary I learned.

boxes 001.jpg - 44kB

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Have you thought about a utility truck bed...the one with all of those lockable storage compartments on the side? I saw one at a campground and the guy had all of the compartments padded...he managed to keep most of his "stuff" out of the camper, but the equipment was readily available.

I had a utility bed and a lumber rack for a Baja camp set up and it was hard to beat the organization and security, If I still had it I would add a shell, but it was a tough setup that never failed.
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 12:15 AM

Hey bigzaggin…What about something like these???

http://www.bakersfieldbedslides.com

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Bedslide/bedslide.htm

http://www.cpohighwayproducts.com

You could mount them under a plywood floor that had your mattress on it. Then you could load it up with plastic storage boxes and have easy access tto them, and never have to mess with your bed. If you’re handy, you might be able to build one of them yourself.

Michael :yes:
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 09:39 PM

What's an Amo Pescar?:o

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.