Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Cielito Lindo
Janice
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 08:37 PM
Cielito Lindo

Does anyone have anything to report about the conditions here, have they improved since last year? We were down last year and the facillities were in disrepair...no hot water, unkempt, etc.
The margaritas and jaiba were still good though!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 08:44 PM

You might enjoy checking out the Cielito Lindo blog page: http://cielitolindobaja.blogspot.com/

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Janice
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 08:47 PM

Been there... I was looking for current, first-hand reports on camping and motel conditons.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 08:52 PM

Drive 30 miles further and stay at Baja Cactus, in El Rosario!

If you are hanging out in San Quintin and want to be on/ near the water, then the Old Mill on the bay (Molino Viejo) always gets good reviews... Even the pricy La Pinta, next door to Cielito Lindo get good marks compared to Cielito Lindo motel... a FIFTY'S motel for the 00'S!

Stayed there last in 2002... dirty floor, ant trail in bathroom, yech!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Janice
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 09:05 PM

Just looking for a first nights stay...and this is about as far as we usually go the first night. We have eaten at the Old Mill, but never stayed there. El Rosario could be an option if we can make the extra mileage before dark.
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Drive 30 miles further and stay at Baja Cactus, in El Rosario!

Stayed there last in 2002... dirty floor, ant trail in bathroom, yech!

Word!
And most gracious, David
It' the Cactus for me!
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2006 at 10:08 PM

forget cielito lindo- I agree with David - stay at the old mill or brave the extra 40 miles to baja cactus - far better accomodations and resturant facilities
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 05:12 AM

CL is a dump......... LP is a twilight zone episode mixed with The Shining..........
never stayed at baja Cactus, its probably good but el rosario is a somewhat gloomy place as far as i am concerned, weather there sucks, cloudy etc. stay there a nite and BE GONE!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
aha baja
Nomad

Mood: wherever you go, there you are...

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 05:28 AM

Baja Cactus is new,very clean and LESS $ than CL. CL has a more partyISH cantina mode but run down,in need of serious maintenace it's like out of the '50s:.... for my family and I would push to El Rosario the extra 30 min. get some breakfast @ Mamas then roll on to Bahia and parts beyond:yes:

[Edited on 01-19-2004 by aha baja]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 06:54 AM
El Rosario WX

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
CL is a dump......... LP is a twilight zone episode mixed with The Shining..........
never stayed at baja Cactus, its probably good but el rosario is a somewhat gloomy place as far as i am concerned, weather there sucks, cloudy etc. stay there a nite and BE GONE!

It is a rare day to not have the sun shining Mike... The 5,000' concrete runway on the mesa (Diamante del Mar) should also please you! Being 4 linear miles from the ocean does keep it out of the coast hugging gloom that San Quintin gets.

In the past 24 months, I have stayed in El Rosario close to 15 times throughout the year, so I base my weather (wx) observations on that.

Speaking of weird places to stay... out of Alfred Hitchc-ck, how about the Old Pier (Muelle Viejo) Motel on the bay... near the cemetery???

Photos of El Rosario (note blue sky):

November '04: http://vivabaja.com/1104
May '05: http://vivabaja.com/505
July '05: http://vivabaja.com/705
April '06: http://vivabaja.com/406

PS: lots of good eating places... not just Mama Espinoza's, to choose from!

dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 07:37 AM

Ceilito Linda:

It has been on a downward slope for a number of years.
The crab claws; best menu item, but they also need attention
The bar is very LOUD and crowded
Dogs are always in the bar & eating area---fleas! and more fleas!
Last ( and I do mean last) No electricy, no hot water, camp area dirty
The road to CL has inproved

Beach Camping (different owner):

Sandy but has showers & flushers that work
Can be cold windy & sandy
Same price as CL (10.00 US???)

The Wet Buzzard bar:

Laura prepares a great Breakfast burrito-$1.00-any "flavor"
Great view
Local coffee hang out--good gossip! (who, what ,when were, & how??)
She has a new nino--bring a toy for him.

El Papellon:
Beach camping
Has a very fine clinging type sand beach
Can be aproblem with blowing sand
NOT CROWDED--except on long holidays-Urg! ATV & bikes!
Cleanest best and warmest showers in Baja.
( the owner welcomes receiving American baseball caps!)
Bonus--enjoy the surf launching of the pangas
Our favorite

La Pinta Hotel
Great view
Great beach
Fair food & beverage
Cars park in front--poor security
Reasonable price

Baja Cactus;

Never over nighted there-viewed from Highway
If you can see it from highway it will probably be subject to noise
Unnown quality, quanity & Price

Generally Santa Maria area terminal destination for winter months.
...28 miles possibly in the dark...No way!
Enjoy and post a report on your return,

dm
Janice
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 08:07 AM

David, Chino, Marv, Capt. Mike, Aha, Dean: Thanks for your replies and for confirming what we have suspected to be true. Too bad... it was a fun place to stay years ago. I have heard there are new owners now; this would explain the "downward slope".

I do agree that Gypsy's is the place to go for breakfast. Laura is a most gracious hostess and makes the best burritos. We even went there for fish tacos one night. Fresh as can be, made to order. Yum!

Soulpatch, thanks for reminding us of El Pabellon. We stayed there once and remember it to be a little windy, but the showers were great! Since it's only one night, we may stay there, if not on the way down, possibly for the return trip.

Thanks again everyone for your valuable input.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 08:15 AM

El Paballon is just 3 miles further - only $5. Cielito Lindo wants $10 now. Great beach frontage with privacy foliage. You'll pass a restaurant en route - don't know how it is, but would be convenient if you want to dine out. They have hot saltwater showers.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 08:16 AM

Press on to El Rosario and you won't be disappointed. Great rooms, better then most good american motels for a third of the price.
Viva BAJA CACTUS, best value on the peninsula.:yes::yes::yes:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 09:25 AM

ok, i'll take a diff note on the WX at el rosario, but to be honest the place just does nada for me, i'd only pass thru, it seems like a trucker town to me.

the strip on the bluff is private and the snooty developers do not like company w/o prior permission - far too many places to go that are pilot friendly and you don't have to walk far. i'll pass - give me the SOC side anyway, anytime.

to be fair, i only drove it once and have no intention of driving again. unless i am on a bike. but hey, everyone does what they like, freedom of choice rules. i have time to spare ................so i go by air!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 09:41 AM

If you're in an RV and want to camp on the beach at El Pabellon, try the site several blocks farther south, Palapas Alvinos. They are just at the end of the Santa Marta school compound & have a beeeg sign. Flat camping area with a view, FRESH water showers, water taps & a domp. Fidel is one of the nicest, friendliest guys in Baja!

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 10:03 AM

OK David K,

You seem to have pictures of evey thing Baja-how about Baja Cactus?

Tell us
Show us....

PRICE?
HOTEL?
RV?
ROOMS?
NUMBER?
FACILITES?
OVERNIGHT CAMPING
HOOK UPS?
FACILITIES
SHOWERS?
FLUSHERS?
DINNING?
DISCOUNTS?

Inquiring Bajaphiles want to know!

It would be acceptable for my wife and I to drive the extra 28 miles so long as it wasn't in the dark and a room/ parking spot could be assured and it was a step up from Papellon and a gaint step (leap) from CL.
(No way Jose will we stay at the Sinai!- not even a consideration)

David K...have at it!

DM
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 10:16 AM

I want to stay at El Papellon. Do they have a dump station or is there one in the area. I will stop at Baja Cactus, in El Rosario for 90 gal. of fuel. Is there a dump there?
I will not drive much over 200 miles a day so I need another stop around Rosarito, before going to Bahia Asunci'on.
How is the Pemex in Vizcano?

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 11:47 AM

Al, the Pemex in Vizcaino is good but almost always crowded. The new ones in GN by the aguila or Jesus Maria may be options if wait time is an issue.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 01:44 PM

Cielito Lindo is awesome! Fleas, dirty floors, good margaritas and greasy crab! That is what I come to Mexico for. Have we all turned into a bunch of namby-bamby goody two-shoes? C'mon folks, since when do I have to start smelling good in Baja? Wow! I thought you people were my brothers and sisters but all these replies reflectl a bunch of snivelling babies!!
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.