BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: How did you meet up with B.C.?
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 12:17 PM
How did you meet up with B.C.?

There must be about as many different ways to get hooked on Baja California as there are Nomads.

My way was to marry an archaeologist who worked there. Before that, the only B.C. I knew was British Columbia--and I thought "Baja" rhymed with "rajah."

How did other Nomads do it?

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 12:21 PM

when I got my drivers license baja represented a remote, desolate, surf adventure (ironically I wound up driving my van to point joe to surf, along with most of san diego). Nonetheless, older, wiser, and bolder, I'm drawn for the same reasons.

(Too bad theres no good surf breaks except for baja malibu and point joe):spingrin:

[Edited on 10-11-2006 by Bajamatic]

yuletide
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 12:32 PM

in like 1990 flew into cabo and then spent a week relaxing punta colorado when fishing and my first fish was 356lb blue marlin i was hooked
returned by moter home with boat in 1992 the moterhome and boat never came home since i have stayed from 6 weeks to 5and a half months a year but after next yr ill spend as much as i please hurrry

jerry and judi
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 12:37 PM

Camping trip with my dad, step-mom and step-brother in the winter of 1969. Camped our way down to Playa Coyote and back.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 12:51 PM

First time here was to see baby gray whales...and boom, I got pregnant and been here ever since!! Love it. BC to BC

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 12:57 PM

One week Camping and backpack trip to the plateau of the San Pedro Martir in 1954 with Bud Bernhard and my aunt, and the Meling Ranch crew----------I was hooked----been going back ever since.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
Camping trip with my dad, step-mom and step-brother in the winter of 1969. Camped our way down to Playa Coyote and back.

What was Playa Coyote like in 1969? WOW

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 01:02 PM

Guess maybe it's just a "heading south" thing.;D
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 01:05 PM

First went down with a buddy of mine in 1984 who's family had a home just North of Ensenada in Cibola del Mar. A bunch of us then started going down there regularly to party and eat fish and shrimp tacos. Then around 1987 I ventured south of Ensenada to San Quintin and that stirred an interest to venture even further south. Got married in 1989 and in early 1990 in my brand new F150 w/camper top and a carpet kit, we both took a trip all the way down to Cabo and back, camping along the way and that's when we got hooked and have been venturing down ever since. It sure is changing a lot faster that I ever imagined, but we still love it.
Bob and Audrey H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 01:06 PM

prior to an incredible set of lucky circumstances, I thought Baja was nothing more then a rocky desert. Cabo san lucas was a very expensive fishing port compared to Mazatlan.
One day at my birthday lunch a friend related a story about his friend in Todo Santos, who was having trouble getting someone to care for his house there. It just happened I need somewhere to be alone awhile. It only took that one time and I had never thought about living in another country before. Now I will consider no other. I am still exploring more of Baja, more to just experience different areas.
I apologize to people who have read this story before.

[Edited on 10-11-2006 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 01:23 PM
Amo Baja

First Trip (as far as I know) at five years old to Tijuana. After that, until age 15 many, many trips to TJ with Father/Mother. Spent the day at Agua Caliente Racetrack, the evenings at the Jai Alai Palace., then shopping along Ave Revolucion.

Mid-teens trips to TJ and Ensenada (fishing). First Gal (a pro) at age 14 paid for by dear old Dad. The best present he ever gave me.

Numerous trips to TJ, Rosarito and Ensenada during my teens and early 20s for drinking and debauchery. There used to be these buses that started out in the San Fernando Valley and picked up riders for Agua Caliente Racetrack. Rountrip bus fare, two taxi chits from San Ysidro Border to/from the racetrack and grandstand admission for $10.00 each. The only downside was that the bus departure didn't leave any real time to cruise the bars on Revolucion.

First trip to San Felipe 1966 to ride Dirt Bikes, Drink and Debauch, although SF was a disappointment from the debauchery standpoint. Many trips after to fish, camp, explore.

Leased a lot and moved a trailer down to Percebu in 1982.
It's been a great run.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 01:32 PM
Playa Coyote in 1969

Bob, let's just say that whole area was a tad less developed. The only sign of civilization I can recall at Coyote then was a guy who showed up every couple of days in a burro-drawn cart, selling fruit and vegetables.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
cat127
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 03:21 PM

Many camping trips with my mom and dad when I was a wee one (circa 67'-75) to San Felipe, and again in my 20's.... Gonzaga once at 22, then to Cabo in 85'-89'....before the Wabo.

I am heading back because I cant handle one more thing with teriyaki sauce on it! (Just kidding.... kinda!)

[Edited on 10-11-2006 by cat127]

Fate Smiles as Destiny laughs!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 03:25 PM
First started

Looking for perfect waves in 1968, ended up in San Blas, many trips, then adventure took hold. Now I have ample reasons, all of which are good.:yes:

Wow Barry!

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 03:29 PM

My first time isn't nearly as glamorous as Playa Coyote or anything.

My first trip to Baja was in '69. I was 16 and I went with some neighbors who had a dune buggy. We camped in the dunes south of Cantamar, met gringo girls in the dunes, drank Mexican beers (I remember Mexicali and seem to remember a Tres Eques?), and had a good old time in the dunes with the gringo girls.

I've been "hook"ed ever since...........on Baja and girls!

Oh yeah, we also went to the "lobster village" that trip. For 5.00 (beers extra), you got all the fried lobster you could eat with beans, rice and tortillas. We just ate at a picnic table on the back porch of one of the fishermen. Dont know if it was called Puerto Nuevo back then. Turns out you cant eat that much fried lobster, really............
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 03:45 PM

read an article years back about big snook in Mulege River..This was when I was living in New York...early 70"s

finally got here in 2003! the snook are gone, but I ain't..........

Capt. George

\"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men\" Plato
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 03:52 PM

Dad was a fisherman when he wasn't being a dentist... One of his patients was a travel partner friend of Howard Gulick (Lower California Guidebook author, map maker) named Andy Anderson... Anyway, Andy told my dad about Gonzaga Bay and that he needed a Jeep to get there!

A CJ wasn't big enough for basic comforts for camping my dad said. Andy said that Jeep solved that problem with the Wagoneer... My dad bought one, and we were off to Gonzaga Bay via San Felipe and soon other places on the peninsula... The year was 1965.

In 1966, we did "THE ROAD" Tijuana to Cabo San Lucas... took 2 weeks... came home via the ferry to Mazatlan.

I was hooked at age 8!

That's me in '66... Pavement ended before Colonet and didn't begin until 100 miles north of La Paz. Dirt again began 10 miles south of La Paz!

66-67 pics.jpg - 50kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 03:55 PM

My dad and I ready to board the ferry to Mazatlan.... summer of 1966... This was one great man who nurtured my love for Baja by adding trips to Baja that didn't involve fishing so I could see the interior sites as well... Mom also loved all the historic sites... I miss them both!

[Edited on 10-11-2006 by David K]

66-67 pics 007.jpg - 27kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 04:01 PM

You are very lucky DK. from 16 on I only had women on my mind.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 10-11-2006 at 04:02 PM

My Mom and Dad use to go there in the late 60's to buy gas and just go shopping, my Brother and I thought everything was cool, kids selling items on the sidewalk, and yep, the painted donkey.

Later, snuck down there in 1976 at the ripe age of 15 with some older boys in my neighborhood with cars to surf the little jetty at Rosarito. We bought beer and fireworks and had a grand ol' time. We thought it was the trip of a lifetime. It was! We got these beers that had an opener on the bottom so you could open another, twist style, old Carta Blanca's?

Anyway, bought a Van at age 16 and started going to Baja for surf on a regular basis, each time going further south. K38, K55, San Miguel, Cabras, Quatro's Casas, Shipwrecks (when you could still climb on it 30 years ago).

The rest is history!

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.