BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: How did you meet up with B.C.?
sunshine
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 12:10 PM

The first trip, aside from the tijuana friday nights, was San Felipe spring break in 90. Continued that tradition for years until my nieghbor and good freind started driving to Cabo in his Jeep. I was always jealous of him and my roomate after they got back after two plus weeks driving the penninsula every year.
Finally in 1999 I bought a new 4wd ranger and threw everything in and took off with my buddy. Spent time in Cabo, cabo pulmo, El Cardonal, and finally agua verde. Been going back ever since every chance I get.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 07:19 PM

I was in San Diego on my way to Corpus Christi, Texas and took a wrong turn.....took me 3 months to find my way back across the border! :lol:

Mean people suck!
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 11:52 PM

Flew down with Link Grindle and family to Gonzaga in 1975...been a great thirty years...now if I can figure how to get there from Fort Worth...Skeet?
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 06:15 AM
First trip to Baja

June 1975

We had been to the Score race at Riverside Raceway in 1974 and signed a sheet to help at future races. Got a letter to meet at Mickey Thompsons shop (near Long Beach?) and they asked if we'd go to Mike's Sky Ranch to help with the '500 in June.

My wife & I had never been to Baja so we said "Sure!" - What a trip - lots could be told. But we found Mike's in the middle of the night, coming in from Highway 1 and San Telmo.

Been enjoying Baja ever since.

John M
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 06:30 AM

Went with school friend and his dad to san felipe in 52 at the ripe old age of 14 ,friend and i had 20 buck each and got drunk , the jail was a old panel truck painted black, and the local sheriff was big and mean, all roads were dirt and the clam man had the local kids dig the clams and would give them candy for them ,,it was the only time i got in trouble in
mexico Jim
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 07:57 AM

December 1951 or 1952

I was attending college in SoCal and involved in the infant sport of "diving' (aka SCUBA.) At that juncture in history diving equipment was crude or non exixtant (wet suits appeared in 1954, Single hose regs in 1957, PFD 1963, BCs 1967 etc)

A family friend spent his vacations in Ensenada pole fishing and always returned glowing reports with his coolers full of fish.

It was time to make a investigative diving trip to calm, clear, WARM water of Ensenada bay to escape the cool SoCal winter and bone chilling water. Armed with trusty pole spears,(aka Jab sticks) mask & fins four of us piled into a car during the Christmas break and headed south.

We traveled the old road ( the only road) to Ensenada where the road terminated at park and the movie theater which was located near Hussongs. The remainder of the sleepy berg was dust and mud. We went to Gordos ( the unoffical meeting place,) then Jack Dempsey's which was closed, on to Victors for a huge very inexpensive breakfast. Had a conversation with Victor who was an Expat from San Pedro married to a Mexican national, he suggested a dirt road that lead us north of town to the area now occupied by Granda cove or Kings trailer park.

On to the ocean and the suprise of our young lives. The water was clear and calm but cold! bone chilling cold! at least 10-20 or more degress cooler that SoCal water.

Dejected by the near freezing water, we headed for Hussongs to listen to Viennese walzes and fortify our young bodies with a HUGE maggie prior to the long trip home.

All that happended a long time ago.....

After a stint as a USAF officer in the Korean unpleasantness I returned to my beloved SoCal in 1956, purchased a WW11 surplus 4X4 Dodge Ambulance, (The Mexican Mercedes 1) and began my life long association with Baja. With the MM1, I was fortunate to explore the then unexplored and dove the then undove.

DM
Halboo
Nomad

Mood: Bohemian

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 06:40 PM

My folks and I went to TJ and Rosarito alot back in the late 60's early 70's; then when I was in the Navy I had an apt. for a couple years in IB which made surf trips into Baja easy.
I made several Baja surfaris in the 80's and one major mainland trip and then kind of stopped for a few years.
Starting to get back into beach camping and that again the past couple years.
Viva Mexico.
Halboo
TacoFeliz
Nomad

Mood: Exploratory

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 06:55 PM

My dad had been racing sailboats to Ensenada since the first race in 1948, before I was even a twinkle in his eye. At about age 11 I ended up camping with Ensenada Boy Scout troop with Tomas Robertson and his family at San Miguel about 1961-2 and for a couple of years after that. Great times were had by all involved and most of us gringo kids were hooked on the people and the culture and the whole place in general. I know it changed me for good.

After I was old enough to drive, surfing and fish tacoing trips became part of my expanding universe, then trips throughout mainland Mexico, Belize and Guatemala in my early twenties. Married in 1979 at Quintas Papagayo near Ensenada, then honeymooned in Oaxaca. When the kids were big enough to walk we ran them around the Yucatan penninsula, Nayarit and Baja. Jeeped up and down Baja for the last 25 years or so (now pop-top campering).

Can't seem to get it out of my blood. (nor will I try to)

Jay :spingrin:
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.