Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Campers and Air in Tires
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 09:29 AM
Campers and Air in Tires

Ok, this is being asked by the totally ignorant, me.

I understand why people air down for dirt roads, but we now have a camper on our truck so we keep more air in the tires than before --- still not at max psi. We have the Goodrich All Terrain tires.

Do those of you who own campers still air down for dirt roads?

Diane

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 09:39 AM

Good question....I haven't so far with mine....and I probably won't unless there is some compelling reason to do so...like stuck in sand or something....I never really air down anyway for the most part with or without camper....
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 10:00 AM

With that kind of weight, forget the pressure for starters. Deflate them to a "flatter" look, if that tire profile works for you, then record that pressure and use it next time.

I came across a guy buried in the sand with an older extra cab Ford with a large Cab Over, and against his wishes, aired him down just to get out and pointed in the right direction, and then aired him back up to get going again. He had agreed finally (after he was driving comfortably in the same sand he was stuck in) and thanked me. (He was using a skillet to unbury the sunken tires before I arrived!)

My 4x4 Crew Cab rides very well even in 2WD at a pressure of #20's in soft San Felipe sand with 35" tires.

For quick deflate, over the years collecting discarded "Fix a Flat" cans, I remove the the tip and hose and simply thread them on the valve stem for a hands free deflate (beats using a stick or shell or pen).

They also sell the same device at Off Road Warehouse and like that is Anodized but expensive.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 10:05 AM

BW: That's an excellent tip. I'm going to go out and cut a hose off a can right now. Personally, I never air down when the truck is loaded. The ride isn't that bad anyway, and I think the weight improves the chances of a sidewall cut. I would do it temporarily if I stuck it.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 10:20 AM
Alot depends on the load range of your tires

You havent stated that.......

I am currently running load range E tires. I typically run them at between 70-80 psi on pavement. It's a bit of a stiff ride but it appears that I will get between 45-50k on the tires. That's treadwear with a 9-4 Lance on the back for probably 70% of their life. When they cost 160 each AT COSTCO WITH A 15.00/TIRE REBATE, I want them to last. LTX-MS 265/75R/16.

But that's just too much air on dirt, for the ride alone. You feel every little rock or bump in the road. I typically drop to about 40-50 but I am not into flying over washboard with a cabover on the back. Too much chance of damaging the camper.

I have dropped as low as about 25 to get out of deep sand. I carry an older 110v air pump and invert DC to run it.

When these tires go, I am thinking of dropping down to load range D tires, probably the Michelins again or maybe a Bridgestone AT Revo or something.......

[Edited on 10-12-2006 by Hook]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 10:35 AM

Our tires are D rated Goodrich All Terrain----last set we got over 50,000 and we were happy. We, however, only had a topper on the back at that time.

On our Tundra, we now have an Outfitter, pop-top camper---only 6.5 feet, so not one of the huge campers, but still a lot of weight for the Tundra.

The tires can go to 65 psi and we usually run 42 or so in the front and over 50 in the back. So far, in the US on dirt roads, we have not changed anything---we do go quite slowly to not shake everything apart---especially on washboard.

Have not taken it to Baja yet, but soon.

Thanks for any tips and information

Diane

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 10:41 AM
Tire pressure------

With a F-250 ext. cab with 1000 lb camper and BFG 285/75 x 16 Load Range D All terraign TA's ($206 ea. out the door at Costco) I run 50 lbs. on the hyway and 35 lbs in the dirt (on long dirt roads), dropping them down to 20 if I get stuck, or it gets "iffy" in the sand. I always reinflate when back on the pavement, or after getting unstuck. Been doing this for years and have had no tire problems until they get really worn down-----when they get almost out of tread they do tend to get stone bruises and de-laminate.
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 11:00 AM
Curious...

I have never really done much inflating/deflating - haven't had the Tundra in a deep sand stuck YET and the truck rides pretty well on the washboards. BUT, on my last trip to Coco's Corner I was gonna head to Calamajue (which has always intersted me) when Coco himself sternly warned me that - should I not air-down on that road - sharp volcanic rocks will pop all four of my tires in 20 minutes. Strangely, I drove from his place straight to Alfonsina's/Punta Final w/o a single tire issue...could the other road be THAT different?

Can anyone verify that Calamjue is the most tire-popping road in all of Baja or is Senor Coco simply hiding a stable of hot chicks and free beer out at the coast there?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 11:10 AM
Road to Calamajue-----

has several volcanic stretches which potentially are tire-busters due to the very sharp rocks. Sharp rocks tend to cut thru tire rubber when the tires are highly inflated.

Road from Coco's to Gonzaga Bay is mostly sand and round wash-worn rocks, with very little volcanic, as I recall???.

Coco was probably over-stating the dangers, but they are real, in my opinion.
bigzaggin
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 11:28 AM
Thanks Barry...

that place has long been atop my "must do" list for Baja...and I "will do" soon...aired down.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
With a F-250 ext. cab with 1000 lb camper and BFG 285/75 x 16 Load Range D All terraign TA's ($206 ea. out the door at Costco) I run 50 lbs. on the hyway and 35 lbs in the dirt (on long dirt roads), dropping them down to 20 if I get stuck, or it gets "iffy" in the sand. I always reinflate when back on the pavement, or after getting unstuck. Been doing this for years and have had no tire problems until they get really worn down-----when they get almost out of tread they do tend to get stone bruises and de-laminate.

Barry...You did not give your tires max air pressure. If I had that I could do a parentage to give me a starting point.
My load range is "F" with 110#. max weight 3475# Cold.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 11:59 AM

I drove my 3/4 ton chevy truck and overhead camper to Calamajue and back last year with slightly deflated tires without any problems. Maybe dump luck. I don't know.

Actually I've never had a flat in baja except for that one time when we drove over a roadside cardon cactus. Talk about punctures. I must have had 15 in each tire. Right through the steel belts. They were repaired at GNegro but soon noticed more leakage. When we arrived back home they found more spines. Moral of the story, don't drive over a cardon or you'll really regret it.

Reducing tire pressure always gives you a better ride on washboard roads, no matter what vehicle you're driving. The greater the pressure, the rougher the ride. Just try it and feel the difference. You've got nothing to lose.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 12:01 PM
LOAD RANGE F, AL !!!!!!!

WHAT ARE YOU DRIVING ??
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
WHAT ARE YOU DRIVING ??

15000# Empty Winnebago .....18-20000# avg.

[Edited on 10-12-2006 by Al G]

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
I drove my 3/4 ton chevy truck and overhead camper to Calamajue and back last year with slightly deflated tires without any problems. Maybe dump luck. I don't know.

Actually I've never had a flat in baja except for that one time when we drove over a roadside cardon cactus. Talk about punctures. I must have had 15 in each tire. Right through the steel belts. They were repaired at GNegro but soon noticed more leakage. When we arrived back home they found more spines. Moral of the story, don't drive over a cardon or you'll really regret it.

Reducing tire pressure always gives you a better ride on washboard roads, no matter what vehicle you're driving. The greater the pressure, the rougher the ride. Just try it and feel the difference. You've got nothing to lose.

Hey Joe,

One of the best uses of Fix a Flat is for spiney problems like that. The holes are usually small enough that the sealant works pretty good on them. I usually carry a can or two, especially if towing.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
WHAT ARE YOU DRIVING ??

15000# Empty Winnebago .....18-20000# avg.

Al, someone needs to post the method of determining what your optimal inflation would be, based on measuring the tires fully inflated and then measuring them deflated to certain percentages. There is a means of measuring the height and the footprint that works for all tires, regardless of load range.

someone will have it.......
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 12:21 PM

Tire height is 33" inflated off ground with 6" tread width.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Forgot to say they are radials

Albert G

bigzaggin
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 12:26 PM
Fix-A-Flat...

I agree with the cactus spine application which reminds me of a question...for YEARS I have heard this rumor of the "explosive dangers" of Fix-A-Flat and was once reprimanded by a llantero for not informing him I had used it on a tire...how much of that is myth v.reality? Is there REALLY a danger with the product? I mean, I know better than to use a can for kindling, but does a spark + Fix-A-Flat = giant explosion?
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 12:39 PM

AIRING TIRES UP AND DOWN...

I have pretty much the same set up as Barry A, an F250 Crew Cab with a full Cab-over Callen Camper and the same BFG's. I run the same pressures as Barry on the highway and off-road. However, most of the time I don't feel the need to air down and just leave them at 50 lbs.

When running on a bad washboard road 35 lbs. has always seemed to work well. I usually can drive pretty fast and float over most of it without too much shaking. I've aired down to 20 lbs. a couple of times in extreme situations and not had any problem.

The BFG's have performed well and I've only had one problem with them. I somehow managed to get a sidewall puncture on the right front when they were almost new. I was able to patch it with plugs and keep going.

Michael

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

[Edited on 10-12-2006 by AmoPescar]
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2006 at 12:40 PM

I read yesterday that older fix-a-flat compounds were really flammable. I coudn't figure out if that was still the case either. It also said that if you spray it into a can, and inhale the fumes, that you would experience temporary euphoria, hallucinations, and be subject to the word DOPE on future baja nomad forums.

yuletide
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.