BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: fishing and kayak license? Best fishing kayak?
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 09:44 AM
fishing and kayak license? Best fishing kayak?

I'm moving from the shore to the water. Saw a post about kayak lincense and hadn't thought of getting one. Same place I get the fishing license? (I know the place in Cabo.)

Looking at Ocean Kayak's Prowler 13.

Any suggestions out there with what works best?

Regards,

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 01:30 PM

Here's what I think I know: if you fish from anything that floats - you must have a fishing license and the thing that floats must have a permit. In order to get a permit for your yak, however, you must show current registration from the state you reside in. But California doesn't issue pregistrations for yaks - they have no motor. So: you get a milk crate with a battery in it, attach a trolling motor to the crate via a 2X4 or some such, take a photo of this ridiculous setup with you and go to DMV for your california registration with CF number and the whole 9 yards. Now you're set for getting your Mexican permit.
Personly, I take my unpermited kayak down and fish from it all the time.
Google "Dennis Spike" or go to the Allcoast forum and check out the kayaking board - you'll get more info than you could possibly use.
My kayak is a Wilderness Systems Tarpon - 12' sit-on-top. Good platform for most types of fishing except fly-fishing. And since I'm rambling on: I met a frenchman on the shores of Animas Bay who was the importer of Wilderness System Kayaks for France. Now that's a small world!
jeffg
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 02:56 PM

We get Mexican Boat permits for our kayaks from the Oficina de Pesca in San Diego. They understand that kayaks don't have registration, all they ask for is a description of the kayak. Length, color, model, etc. You can do the whole thing by mail, I don't have their phone number handy but a search of this site should find it.

Ocean Kayak is a good quality boat, if you find that model comfortable then I would think it would work just fine. We have a Malibu 2 and a couple of Scrambler XT's, but no experience with that model.

Dennis Spike has been running guided kayak fishing out of Rancho Leonero all summer, I think he's still there now. A day on the water with him would probably be invaluable. You can check out his website at http://www.kayakfishing.com/

Jeff
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 03:10 PM

For those who know, how much total would it cost to get one person and one kayak legal to fish in Baja for 2 weeks?
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 03:16 PM

Santiago the deal with the trolling motor is not as ridiculous as you make it sound , sure helps when trolling
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2006 at 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
For those who know, how much total would it cost to get one person and one kayak legal to fish in Baja for 2 weeks?

$22/week fishing license; $32/week boat permit at the Oficina de Pesca in San Diego.

Thanks everyone. Great info!

:cool:

[Edited on 10-14-2006 by Lee]

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
aha baja
Nomad

Mood: wherever you go, there you are...

[*] posted on 10-14-2006 at 05:22 AM

Got a Cobra Fish N' Dive.... 12' long w/ 36'' beam. Very stable platform and has 6 flush mount rod holders. It moves pretty good but no speed demon. Also has 3 flush mount below deck storage hatches. Great for working coastal kelp paddies or open water.:yes:
jeffg
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2006 at 07:04 AM

It's probably not much more to get a full year. My current fishing license shows $42.70, and the boat permit for the kayak was about $38-$39.

Quote:
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 10-14-2006 at 09:53 AM

You can get both licenses via mail (or stop by their SD office) from the Vags website. The annual license is the best way to go.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2006 at 10:02 AM

"$22/week fishing license; $32/week boat permit at the Oficina de Pesca in San Diego."

"It's probably not much more to get a full year. My current fishing license shows $42.70, and the boat permit for the kayak was about $38-$39."

For me, at that price, it would be better to join panga fishing trips on 3 different days and then pleasure cruise the kayak the other 11 days.

Heck, a ten day non-resident license in California is $33.35. http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/fishing/sportfishingfees.htm...
You'd think that a California license would cost way more than a Mexican license.
jeffg
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 08:57 AM

You get 3 days of panga fishing for $80? That's a heck of a deal. Of course you still are supposed to buy a mexican fishing license, so the only difference would be the cost of the boat permit.

If fishing came down to a matter of economic sense, the wise thing to do would be to buy our fish at the market...

Quote:
"$22/week fishing license; $32/week boat permit at the Oficina de Pesca in San Diego."

"It's probably not much more to get a full year. My current fishing license shows $42.70, and the boat permit for the kayak was about $38-$39."

For me, at that price, it would be better to join panga fishing trips on 3 different days and then pleasure cruise the kayak the other 11 days.

Heck, a ten day non-resident license in California is $33.35. http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/fishing/sportfishingfees.htm...
You'd think that a California license would cost way more than a Mexican license.
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffg
You get 3 days of panga fishing for $80? That's a heck of a deal. Of course you still are supposed to buy a mexican fishing license, so the only difference would be the cost of the boat permit.

If fishing came down to a matter of economic sense, the wise thing to do would be to buy our fish at the market...

Quote:

Buy the fish? Bite you Tongue!!! :o

The fish are just a minor byproduct of a fishing trip, and not even in the equation that determines a "Successful" fishing trip!!!! :lol:

As far as the economic impact, which is better, a $80 panga rental or a $3 purchase of fish? :?:

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 11:24 AM

"You get 3 days of panga fishing for $80?"

I have hopped on a 2 1/2 hour panga trip for $25 per person a couple of times in the past. I believe the panguro (sp?) is supposed to take care of the legal stuff. It seems kind of silly to me that a non-motorized kayak or canoe qualifies as a licensable fishing vessel to be taxed the same as a high powered, 21 foot yellowtail killer with electronics and everything.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 12:04 PM

Packoderm has a valid point.:bounce: turtleandtoad has a valid point.:yes:The recreational/sport fisherman contribute more to the economy than the commercial fisherman in this day and age. Years back, it was tilted towards the commercial guys. Not now. lots more sport/recreational boats on the water. Most of 'em catch a few fish and contribute many dollars to the local economy.:spingrin: Take your pick. One boat wrapping up a whole school of fish or 20 boats picking at the edge of 'em?:?:
Halboo
Nomad

Mood: Bohemian

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 06:31 PM

All it takes is one guy with an attitude and you're fined hard and your gear is gone :( ; Play it safe and get the boat permit if you go that way.
I've been kayak fishing for several years and have landed fish up to 150lb threshers off my Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT; it's very similar to the Cobra fish n dive; very stable but pretty slow.
If you are bigger then 150lbs you should think about the longer Prowler; just as stable but faster getting there and back..
Buena Suerte :cool:

Halboo
bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 03:48 PM

Try the new Prowler 15 its the best of both worlds and was basically designed for yak fishing. It is a little wider than the older 15s so it is more stable and still fast. They also track very well which is a huge benefit in windy conditions. Here in San Diego yak fishing is huge and the majority of serious yak fisherman have Prowlers. Check out plasticnavy.com or lajollayakfishing.com for good general and Baja info.

Work is just something I do to keep me buzy between baja trips!
bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 03:52 PM
correction

the website is www.yak4fish.com not lajojjayakfishing.com.

Work is just something I do to keep me buzy between baja trips!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 09:05 AM

Just out of curiosity, has anyone had any personal experience, or personally know any kayaker who has not had a permit for his/her yak, and been cited for it? With the odds of getting "caught" (and just what is the penalty?), I am inclined to forego a boat permit.
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 09:30 AM

You can get anything from a warning to a hefty fine, forfiture of your boat, and all the gear in it, and jail time. Depends on the mood of the cop and judge.

Why be the "ugly american" and purposely break the Mexican laws. We don't want Mexicans in the U.S. to break our laws, so why would you want to break theirs?

06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 10:00 AM

Good info BajaBum, but the www.yak4fish.com site is parked. Plastic navy is great...

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.