Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Archelon in BOLA
howat
Junior Nomad

Mood: Retire Feb 2010

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 10:20 AM
Archelon in BOLA

Four of us are going on our annual 2 week fishing/camping trip to Baja. This coming March we're going to BOLA. I'm interested if finding out how to contact Antonio the owner of Archelon about possibly renting one of his 4-man cabins. His website takes you to a reservation center in europe which requires cash in advance. I'm not interested in giving money that way unless directly to Antonio.

It's been 20 years since I was there last and then i camped on the shores which is now Daggett's Campground probably on 20 different occassions. I read you'alls positive feedback on his place. I especially like the hot showers part. My question about Daggett's is can you launch a 22' boat from his launch ramp? If yes, how tide dependent is it? I plan on launching and retrieving my boat daily. We only catch enough fish for dinner and to share with a few of our fellow campers and take none home.

To this day I reminisce often about my earlier days at LA Bay. I've still got the locations of where the "slime balls" (jawfish) and the gold spot cabrilla are located off Smith, as well as where "Tiggerfish Point" is, all etched in my memory. It's time to return.

Also thanks for your replies on what & where to bring some donated items for the city of BOLA.

Dennis
aka Halibut Howie

[Edited on 10-13-2006 by howat]

[Edited on 10-13-2006 by howat]
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 01:34 PM

I was there a few months ago, at Rubens place which is called camp Daggetts , you can actually drive down the ramp even when its a very low tide and launch, really convinient and they dont charge like Guillermos in town. I was launching a 1200lb jet ski which is very hard to do, Ruben has five or six Pangas in which he takes people out fishing almost every day watch how he does it its impressive thats how I got the hang of it, just go there I guarantee youll be happy...........Tell him Armando says hi from San Diego........

READY SET.....................
howat
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 01:35 PM

Thanks Armando

HH
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 07:21 PM

Howie,

If it will do you any good, I can ask Antonio in person about the 4-man cabins. I will need your specific dates and I can ask the rates and you can post here, U2U me, or: mhumfreville(at)hotmail(dot)com
with the specifics.
howat
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2006 at 07:59 PM

Thanks Mike,

We plan on being down there on thursday 3/16/07, leaving the next friday 3/23/07. We're all in our late 50's and just enjoy baja, camping, fishing and are respectful to mexico and its beautiful environment. I remember the stories about Antonio and his crusade to protect the turtles 20 years ago when i was there last but never had the pleasure of meeting him. I use to walk by his place on the way to the peninsula to search for crabs and fish for halibut from shore. Back then they still served turtle steaks at the little restaurant on the right just when you got into town.

HH
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2006 at 11:02 AM

The restaurant was likely Las Hamacas; it's still there but has moved about 100 feet north of it's original location - and, of course, turtle steak was then on the menu. Antonio has apparently retired and still lives in the same place. He's a great fellow and still involved in the turtle "sanctuary" in the bay. When I go to the village later today I'll stop by his place and see what he's got in terms of rentals. I'll get back to you hopefully later today.
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 09:23 PM
Howie -

I talked with Antonio today and he now has you reserved for 3/16/07 through 3/23/07. Have a great trip.
howat
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 04:39 PM

You de man. Thanks alot Mike. Looking forward to meeting Antonio and swapping a few stories. I'll check back with you a month or so before we leave.

HH
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2006 at 05:19 PM

if your boats a deep v you may have a hard time launching there at low tide, check the tide tables. we launch a 22 footer at docs and its difficult at best at low tide. good luck.:coolup:
howat
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 04:31 AM

I'll launch in town. Thanks for the rely.

HH

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.