Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Unusual requirement for prepaid FMTs
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 02:19 PM
Unusual requirement for prepaid FMTs

Forgot to mention:
when we crossed into TJ at San Ysidro we used pre-paid FMT from Vags. When we showed them to the Migration Officer he said we needed to go get copies made a few doors down. Ok - rules have changed. We finally found the office to the right of the bank window, knocked on the door and a nice looking gentleman said he would be happy to make copies for us which he did. He then hands us our FMTs and copies and says "50 dollars please". I blanch, and assuming he is trying to collect the visa fee tell him I've already paid. He says the fee is for the copies and I say, voice rising, "$50????". He quickly looks very embarassed and says he ment 50 cents. I tell him I have no pesos, rummage in my pockets and find two 2-peso coins and give to him. He seemed genuinly embarassed so I'm assuming it was not some minor scam but if anyone is using pre-paid FMTs it might be wise to make copies before you go down.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 02:33 PM
Pre-paid

Santiago...Thanks for info...Can you tell me the advanage or disadvanage to a pre-paid FMT

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 03:05 PM

Since you need to stop and get the pre paid ones validated (at the same place where anyone can get an FM-T from scratch), there is no advatage at Tijuana with its 24-7 bank teller next to the INM office... other then saving a couple minutes to pay the banker.

IF you cross at other borders when the nearest banks are closed, then that would be an advatage to getting a pre paid FM-T at Discover Baja, Vags or ?...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 03:52 PM

Thanks, David...I intend to cross at about 6:00am. Any guess how far I will get before the sunn comes up M/H 45 MPH max.
Not important...

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 10:17 AM
Were the copies needed......

......before or after the migracion official did the processing?

If before, then there should be no reason not to bring your own copies.

If after, well then, it looks like Mexico has found yet another way to nickel and dime us on paperwork.......

Others passing through SY need to report if they also experienced this.

With the "mistaken" amount, this sounds almost like a scam to see if a gringo is dumb enough to pay 50.00 bucks for copies.

Thanks for giving us all the heads-up. :yes:
jeffg
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 10:37 AM

We had the same requirement for a copy on our last 2 trips, both times using prepaid tourist cards from DB. I honestly don't remember if the copy was before or after the official did all his stamping. I actually intended to bring a copy on the 2nd trip, but forgot.

The first trip he sent us down to another office for the copy, the man in there said something like $20 for a copy. My eyes bugged out, he laughed, and said just kidding, no charge.

The last time we crossed the immigration official took the tourist card out somewhere to make the copy himself. Again, no charge.

Jeff
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 10:47 AM

A copy is not a problem, because I carry a copier with me.
I just don't want to buck the system.

Albert G

EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 12:07 PM

We crossed w/prepaid FMTs on foot @ TJ 07:00 on 10/7 purely to get stamped. They had a copier in the Migra office and took a copy of each FMT, no charge. Only reason we did the validation there was a Vagabundos del Mar warning that if not validated and we spent the night in Mexico (and got caught unvalidated) there would be a hefty fine. First available Migra south of that was at the BC/BCS state line & they were closed so no inspection (if they were open they could validate the FMT).

We determined that TJ is a waste for us. We always get on the Cuota road ASAP & head south at least to Ensinada, where there is a Migra office next to the Port Capitan's office. If it is during office hours, we can get stamped there. But more usually we are heading to Mulege, so there is the stateline Migra and another at the port in Santa Rosalia. If they are all closed, we can backtrack to get bolillos in SR and get stamped there during office hours. Last time we'll dink around w/paperwork @ TJ. No offense, but their parking sucks and it takes too long. Didn't know about the copies, so we'll carry copies next time along w/the prepaid FMT.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 07:49 PM

The weird thing about this was that we had a 3rd party with us who filled out his form,went to the bank window, woke up the teller, paid his $20 ('merican) and had his stamped, no copies needed, before we got through with our run-around. Vags also sent us awarning that we should not take the prepaid to Enseneda as they were ripping them up and makeing everyone fill out new one and paying again???? sigh.............
Dave
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 10-16-2006 at 08:19 PM
That's hilarious!

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
A copy is not a problem, because I carry a copier with me.

As many times as I've been required to get copies... Just to see the look on their faces as I whipped out my copier.

Priceless!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.