[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 05:19 PM

Right here brother.
CPF and IAFF.
My wife is CEA and NEA.

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 06:02 PM

I have belonged to 2 unions in my life. and I am not proud of it both times the Union caused the company to go out of business and cost me a good job. now they are driving the auto industry out of the USA. and the teachers unions are destroying education.what next

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 06:04 PM

My experience has been that Union members spend money in thier communities.
I am guessing Bruce had a non-union education based soley on his ability to write.
The auto industry is hurting because of a lack of innovation in design. Cars are still selling/

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
My experience has been that Union members spend money in thier communities.
I am guessing Bruce had a non-union education based soley on his ability to write.
The auto industry is hurting because of a lack of innovation in design. Cars are still selling/

all my teachers were Union through the 12 grade it doesn't mater if you can read or write they just pass you on so you are not there problem any more.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 06:35 PM

I've never been a union member in my life. I've worked countless thousands hours of overtime, and I've never been paid anthing but straight time. I've never had a paid vacation. Heck, I've never really been allowed to take time to go on vacation. I could go only when I was between jobs. Some kind of union would have worked for me.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 06:48 PM

Wow Packoderm where did you work? sounds like you have a good case for the labor board.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 06:54 PM

All I can say is that I get a very fair wage and benefit package based on the tax base in the area I live in. I then spend those monies in my community, first w/local businesses if I can and then w/larger corporations that pay wages to people in my community.
And Bruce, not all teachers just pass students on. Usually blanket generalizations are inherently incorrect.

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
I've never been a union member in my life. I've worked countless thousands hours of overtime, and I've never been paid anthing but straight time. I've never had a paid vacation. Heck, I've never really been allowed to take time to go on vacation. I could go only when I was between jobs. Some kind of union would have worked for me.

WoW... I guess I am reading between the lines, but haven't heard of to many people out of touch with reality this bad. Sound like ammunition for the Unions. I can heard them now...."Oh dear lord you need the union to protect you"
The truth is Federal Law has been protecting you for many,many years. Dates and time is all you need to recover all the back wages. No Union needed.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 07:01 PM

Hell Bruce, virtually every person who works non-union construction is expected to put in 10 hours a day and Saturdays and sometimes part of Sunday. Nobody gets extra pay for overtime. One employer listed our hours as piece work when we were hourly. They seemed to want to make construction akin to agricultural work - which they have succeeded in many ways. This was especially true when there was no bubble.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 07:03 PM

"The truth is Federal Law has been protecting you for many,many years. Dates and time is all you need to recover all the back wages. No Union needed."

You'd be fired or life will be hell. Also, you'd have to move to a different town if you want to work again.

This is getting Off Topic. Well, that is unless you want to compare the U.S.'s future with that of Baja Mexico's present.

[Edited on 07/17/2004 by Packoderm]
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 07:21 PM

Quote:
All I can say is that I get a very fair wage and benefit package based on the tax base in the area I live in. I then spend those monies in my community, first w/local businesses if I can and then w/larger corporations that pay wages to people in my community.
And Bruce, not all teachers just pass students on. Usually blanket generalizations are inherently incorrect.

Highly commendable..of course you have to support local, unions insist, because the rest of the world (China for one) is kicking your union butt. Of coarse not everyone does the same good, or bad thing. Most of your brethren buy cheap whatever China crap same as they did in the sixties with Japan.
There are good and bad teachers, just as any other profession. The problem is as you know the union make sure the cannot be fired for being incompetent.
The very worst thing the unions do, and will be their major downfall, is forcing business to pay people weather they work or not. Tell me how long you company would last in a down turn..the ones that do are so far in debt the owners make nothing for years. The unions don't care it was your fault anyway.
My last post on the subject, because I know it does no good.
Funny thing is you know I am speaking the truth with experience, but you will never admit it. The unions are coming down and I don't mean someday.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 07:59 PM

all I know is I have only had bad experiences with them and lots of good jobs without them. I always mad more a had better benefits than the union guys . but I liked to work. I think union jobs are good for lazy non skilled workers

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 08:23 PM

Well, when your righting comes off as if you were in the classes for the learning disabled I understand Bruce.
And Al G, you know nothing about me and I don't post what I don't firmly believe in.

soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 08:25 PM

I will state this, as well. This is too finite of a forum for this to be discussed logically and w/o subjective feeling.

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2006 at 09:51 PM

soulpatch

Did you ever get some palm trees?

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 06:05 AM

soulpatch I am sorry that you took my point of view so personally . that was not my intent. I only wanted to post that I have been a union member in the past and did not have a good experience.

you are a union member and it has worked well for you as it has for many. I am sure you will get as many deferent responses as there are people. but when you make a post about something as controversial as Unions you are asking for responses and opinions. after all these is the INTERNET and the Baja Nomad Forum. what I don't like is when someone makes a post and then personally attacks anyone that posts a point of view that is deferent than yours. I am sory that you are the kind of person that sets this kind of trap. maybe I cant write with your expertise but I do have manners enough that I will never personally attack another Nomad about personal deficiencies

[Edited on 10-16-2006 by Bruce R Leech]

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 07:29 AM

Iserved 25 years in the Navy and then joined the IBEW lu 477, in san bernardino ca we had a great comp package and at one time even took a pay cut in the 80's ,to help our contracters compete , we did not get paid vacations , and if a wireman scred up something on the job he was required to fix on his time (no pay), . I buy american and locally whenever i can . which is harder every day , automakers and other sources outsource to make more profit not to give the buyer a better deal ex. a car that cost 10,000 in 1989 now cost 36 40,000,and labor material or cost of doing buisness has not gone up that fast jmho jim g
soulpatch
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 07:33 AM

El Gato,
I got the palms and Jungle music was great... of course I spent too much.:) and bought only small ones (9) but I will have the pleasure of watching them grow.

Bruce, I wasn't the only one here slinging some mud. I remember a few of your posts that an objective person might take personally. I did not start this post and, like a fool, allowed myself to be drawn into it. Stupid me, again.:O

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 08:15 AM

Quote:
El Gato,
I got the palms and Jungle music was great... of course I spent too much.:) and bought only small ones (9) but I will have the pleasure of watching them grow.

Bruce, I wasn't the only one here slinging some mud. I remember a few of your posts that an objective person might take personally. I did not start this post and, like a fool, allowed myself to be drawn into it. Stupid me, again.:O

no problem .

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.