Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: communications in baja
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 08:31 AM
communications in baja

I know there was a thread on this but can't find it I have a question on what kind of radio to use in baja to enable me to communicate with other folks in case of problems breakdowns stucks ect thanks jim :?:
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 08:52 AM

Jim,

I don't know what part of Baja you visit...

San Felipe area uses Marine band VHF

South Campo's uses channel 69

For town (San Felipe) ask anyone with an antennae on their house.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 08:58 AM

You need to consider your individual usage, primarily the distance you wish to transmit and receive calls. In Bahia de Los Angeles we use VHF and it usually reaches from one end of the bay to the other (I think - I'm relatively new to this too). For calls closer to home we use FRS. But all this is relative, based on line of sight or close to it. A set of two FRS's, in what I believe to be the strongest range (they advertise 12 miles - but that is under ideal conditions) costs about $60. at Best Buy et al. I just bought 2 new VHF's, a portable and a fixed location. The cost for these two was ~$300. Also, if you can raise BajaBus here, he understands a lot about radio and satellite communications. One further note I have learned: regardless what you buy, before using the radio it would be a good idea to become familiar with local radio traffic so you don't interfere with established channels. In Bahia de Los Angeles the local fishermen use one VHF channel and many Americans use another. This way you can avoid a lot of chatter and interference. When one set wants to talk to the other, it's easy enough to switch channels. One more thing, when we use the American channel for anything beyond a short contact (or always if you wish) we change from the primary channel for monitoring and go to another channel for a conversation. That keeps the primary channel open.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 09:16 AM
Marine, GMRS, FRS radios sources-----

-----All Mike H. says here is true, but there are cheaper sources of applicable radios made by MIDLAND. I have used Midland's for years and have been very happy with them.

Try "sportsmansguide.com" in your search engine, and then type in "midland radios" in their "search" function and see what is available----I think you will be surprised at the good prices on all types of comm radios by Midland.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 10:10 AM

cell phone has pretty well taken over

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 11:04 AM
In an emergency situation

like what you're talking about, an FRS or GMRS is not going to be valuable for trying to randomly contact someone. They have many privacy channels and are really used by individuals or groups to talk to each other over relatively short distances.

I guess the best emergency form of communication would be a cell phone. But this assumes that you are in an area with coverage AND it assumes you know someone to call. Not really viable in remote areas. But still a cell phone probably should be carried for those times when you do have coverage.

I think the best idea IS a VHF radio because there are so many different communities that use this for communication. But a handheld would be next to useless because it transmits at about 5 watts max.

A base station type that transmits at 25 watts is what you need. But these aren't exactly passenger car friendly because the antennae is about 8 feet minimum and it's obvious that you have some type of high powered radio that's really only intended for boating use.

The original thread you remember died because I suggested that those of us who ARE using base stations in vehicles (I have one in my cabover camper) establish a roadie channel for Nomads to use. It was immediately pointed out by the owner of Nomads that this would violate the useage rights of the website by encouraging illegal activity, although many official entities use these frequencies for land-based used (Pemex, Aduana, etc.) Fair enough, the owner sets the rules and you either abide by them or hit the road. I chose not to pursue the frequency issue.

But PERSONALLY what I plan on doing in an emergency is raising my antennae and beginning to broadcast my situation on the conventional hailing/talking frequencies like 16-68-69-72. Even if all I raise is a boat, that boat may be able to act as an intermediary with others who may be able to assist me.

As for a working frequency on the road, if I am traveling with other who have VHF, we will just establish a frequency internally, assuming we are not using FRS, which is actually pretty effective in loose caravan situations.

That's how I plan to work it. BTW, I usually travel the highway with my base station stowed out of site and my antennae lowered on the roof of my camper (it's base is about 10 feet in the air and largely invisible while traveling). I have heard of some people getting hassled at checkpoints for their VHF radios that are NOT installed in boats.

Actually, I've read of some who have gotten hassled even on ones IN boats............
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 11:12 AM

I think we have covered all the bases :

We carry a Telcel phone but the reception is only good near towns in Baja Sur. We have CB in the truck to talk to truckers in the US and occasional use in Baja (used to be used by all caravans; now just some). We carry two personal radios to talk to other caravans and to keep track of the kids.
We carry two VHF walkie-talkies and a roof-top booster antenna for the boat and general communication in areas where it is used.
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 11:16 AM

I asked this question recently, and the answers are similar here. I also looked into it further and the only way at this point to almost guarantee contact if you are really in a jam and in the back country is a sat phone or an SSB or Ham radio. From my research the Sat phone rental system is the most cost effective way to make sure you can reach someone in the event that you REALLY need to. SSB and Ham radios (which may be illegal in Mex, and definately require a license) run about 1500 bucks, and even then you are still not for sure going to raise someone. If you are really looking for an i"nsurance policy" then the sat phone can't be beat. You could probably even collect some numbers on your way down of people to call in case all you need is some auto repair, and if you are really freaked out about it get a travelers insurance policy with a medi-vac clause and a sat phone and you're pretty much good to go, right?

yuletide
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 11:19 AM

You are correct.
Sat phones are the ultimate.
Or a satellite internet connection if you already have one.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 11:29 AM

No doubt, SAT phone is the way to go. Maybe they will continue to come down.

Then again, as fast as Baja is building up in areas, cell service is bound to increase, too.
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 04:03 PM

Don't want to get too detailed on this thread, but just add some information on ham radios. They are legal in Mexico and a licensed ham from the US or Canada can get a reciprocal license at most SCT offices. It will cost about 90 dollars. You will have a Mexican call and can operate legally on the ham bands. A ham radio can cost less than $500 depending on the unit. VHF is line of sight and certainly not reliable, but HF (high frequency...long range) bands are very reliable and you can always raise a station in the US on one of the bands. In a canyon, on a hill, in the water, you can get out. Units are small and reliably operate with up to 150 watts. You can even operate legally with 1000 watts. The ham license requires a test of rules and theory and, currently, 5 words per minute of code. The code requirement is due to be dropped soon. Driving around with the ham radio is not a problem with the Mexican certification. Most cruisers I know have their ham license and ham radio aboard for consistent, reliable communications. If one band is weak, you change to another. This is different than changing channels on the same band. We also use ham radio for Internet e-mail no matter where we are. Other than equipment, the cost is free. Internet connections, phone patches, message handling are free, done by fellow ham volunteers. Investigate this communication mode as you can do local and long distance communications easily. Someone is always listening on the ham bands. There are also many daily Baja Ham nets with weather, information, etc. Exams are done by volunteers (we do it monthly in La Paz). Google ARRL or QRZ.com for more information. Jack Swords N1IY
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 04:46 PM

AS usual, your posts on radio are much appreciated, Jack.

I had to chuckle when I read the phrase "The code requirement is scheduled to be dropped soon". It seems like I have been waiting for that to occur since the Clinton administration. Not that that implies Bush is responsible for the delay but it has been a long wait, no?
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2006 at 07:01 AM

Yes Hook, when the code requirement is finally dropped (Canada already has) we hope to see an infusion of new hams to the hobby. This has been formally announced in a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, the required public comment period has long passed, and now all that is needed is a "decision" from Washington. It's pretty much a given, but the "deciders" are the big obstacle now. A CD from Gordon West on a computer is a fast way to learn the 5 wpm code and theory. It'll test and retest you and you will pass easily. Anyway, don't hold your breath for Washington do do anything, there're kinda busy there right now. Thanks for the comment.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
No doubt, SAT phone is the way to go. Maybe they will continue to come down.

Then again, as fast as Baja is building up in areas, cell service is bound to increase, too.

don't forget to stop by the phone co, office and pick up a phone book. it is easy in BCS there is only one for the whole state and it is not to big. for Baja Ca. north you will need a 2 or more depending on where you are traveling through. I carry BCS , Ensenada most of the time .

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 07:02 AM

they can also be used for toilet paper, fire starter, and don't work to bad for cleaning the windows.;)

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.