BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tourist visa at San Ysidro Border Crossing?
Cyclops_II

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 10:29 AM
Tourist visa at San Ysidro Border Crossing?

We are taking off for Mag Bay next Sunday a friend told us the Immigration Office was closed when he crossed a couple weeks back... they told him it was permanent and told him he would need to cross at the other border to buy them... anyone crossed at San Ysidro recently and stopped as usual to pick your tourist visas up? How is the parking now getting harder and harder every year with the boat to park and get the darn things? Can you purchase them in Ensenada if so where? Also anyone have a line on the best place to exchange $$$ we have been going to the place behind the immigration building for the last couple years but that is getting harder with the parking?

Thanks Guys!

Steve
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 12:17 PM

As to tourist cards, see link on "unusual requirement for prepaid FMTs" for more info. Prepaid FMts are available from Vagabundos del Mar (vagabundos.com), Discover Baja Travel Club (discoverbaja.com), Mexican consulate in SD (I think), and probably some other places.

As to changing money, I now go to a Mexican bank w/an ATM, put in my card, and make a w/drawal. It makes me feel good to see my balance so high (they show it in pesos :lol:). The fee for this was about $7.50 (that's pesos too), and you get the current exchange rate. Also, my stateside bank informs me I can order pesos for next day delivery at my local branch at the current exchange rate for no charge (they think I'm a nice guy :O).

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Cyclops_II

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 12:21 PM
Open?

pre-pay makes no sense if you need to stop anyway... I guess my question was to clarify that the bank and imagration office are still open?

Thanks

Steve
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 01:13 PM

Several weeks ago in Ensenada, withdrew $2000 pesos at a bank ATM. My US statement showed $187.00 US withdrawn....great exchange rate!!! Use either the ATM's INSIDE the bank, or the ATM's in a market, such as Commercial Mexicano (various bank ATM's). Check with your US bank, as they may have a "partnership" with a Mexican bank, and may not charge ATM fees.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 01:17 PM

There are two reports of people who crossed within the last 8 days and got everything taken care of at SY.

I cant imagine they would close the immigration office at TJ, probably the busiest port of entry along the entire border. Besides, they just built all those permanent structures for doing this.

At times, especially late at night, the guy can be hard to find. But just be patient and he will show up.

Prepaying USED to be a big advantage when the banco and the migra office werent so convenient, especially if you were intent on getting stamped at GN. But now that SY is so convenient, I dont do it anymore.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 05:12 PM

I'm with Mike... If you do on-line banking, you can log on to your B of A site, and order pesos. The amount is deducted from your account, and the bills come to your door by Fed-X.

A much better rate than at a casita.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-16-2006 at 05:19 PM

On the whole exchange rate thing, you guys need to join a credit union.

My ATM works just fine down there and I get the exchange rate at the days close. Sure, I gotta pay the Bank fee (what is it about 1.50?) but I aint being nickel and dimed to death by one of the big boys (Citibandit, B of A, Wellls Fargo, Chase, etc.).

Credit unions......working WITH your money instead of FOR it!.

Damn, the NCUA should use that one..........

[Edited on 10-17-2006 by Hook]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.