Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: san felipe to puertecitos to highway 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

question.gif posted on 12-17-2003 at 07:27 AM
san felipe to puertecitos to highway 1

how is the road from San Felipe to Puertecitos? Is there a road from Puertecitos to highway 1 and how is it?

thanks,
steve
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-17-2003 at 07:46 AM

San Felipe to Puertecitos is just over 50 miles and the first half (to Nuevo Mazatlan) is good pavement. The second half is gone to hell... pot holes and pavement broken away and gone. Total time 90 minutes.

Puertecitos to Gonzaga Bay is another 50 miles, half over mountains next to the sea, very beautiful. This is a graded dirt road built in 1986 to allow 2WD travel to Gonzaga. 4WD was needed before. It was regraded last month, so is in good shape right now, 90 minutes to Gonzaga Bay.

Gonzaga Bay on to Hwy. 1 at Laguna Chapala is 36 miles and also graded dirt. Halfway there is a colorful man named Coco who sells beer and sodas... speaks English... worth a stop!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 12-17-2003 at 07:54 AM

thanks David,

Will I be able to do this road in a honda accord?

steve
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-17-2003 at 08:02 AM

Yes... in another post I told you how to handle deep sand because you wanted to not camp in campgrounds... and driving on the beach or desert roads is the only way you will really 'get away' from the crowd.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishinrich
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2003 at 01:18 PM
honda accord

I drove the whole road two weeks ago and it is in good shape. Your honda accord on the other hand will not be in good shape if you drive the whole thing. It will rattle that poor little car to pieces and turn it into a true baja vehicle. fishin rich
Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2003 at 01:34 PM

I'll second what fishinrich said. You'll never even make it to Puertecitos without losing a muffler at the very least in the potholes. There's no way to keep all four wheels above potholes at all times, they are so numerous. After having a 3/4 ton van for four years and switching to a Civic this past summer, I appreciate what a difference in ground clearance exists between different vehicles.
bufeo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-17-2003 at 02:10 PM

Steve,
I replied to your question over on Fred's Board.
Anonymous
Unregistered

cool.gif posted on 12-18-2003 at 07:42 AM

I think we might take my girlfriend's isuzu amigo (2wd) if her bank gives us permission to take the car into Mexico.

Do I really need a letter from the bank saying its ok if we buy the insurance online?

steve

gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-4-2004 at 05:06 PM

As far as the road to Puertecitos, take the above advice and get some clearence. The pothole faces can be 10"vert. and do majical things to a small car. The road had been graded nice, however after the baja 1000 traffic came through its back to normal rip your wheel off form. That being said the locals drive reeeeal slow and can make it in anything. Check out Playa Escondida just before Puertecitos for camping. I would ask www.discoverbaja.com about the insurance question. They have alot of info on that stuff. The truck we use is on our website in the your ride section. Take an extra spare. Hit the hot springs. Drink a beer.

see ya there

GTB:spingrin:

[Edited on 1-5-2004 by gonetobaja]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.