BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: SENTRI PASS ON-LINE????
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 10:50 AM
SENTRI PASS ON-LINE????

Has anyone found the on-line RENEWAL site for SENTRI passes? Apologize to all if this has been posted and answered before.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 10:54 AM

Gull ...

I dont know where it is but if you find it, check the NO box by the question, "Did you ever in your life spit on the sidewalk."
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 10:55 AM

LOL. Good one, Dennis.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 11:28 AM
Question...

I am totally fascinated by the SENTRI pass and would love to know who uses them and how. Supposing one can pass the vigorous background check (which I could - if I glossed over ages 13 - 29), you have to be alone in your car, thereby making them (seemingly) useless to anyone but commuters? Right? Has anyone actually "SENTRI'd" their entire family or circle of Baja buddies? Curious...who uses these things?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 11:41 AM

Cant have anybody in your car not registered with SENTRI.

Dont know how old you are BigZ but, my buddy just had his pass pulled because of a DUI thirty years ago so, glossing over may not be a viable option.

Working folks probably get the most use out of them but anybody would like to have one. Unfortunatly, everybody is not among societys most pure.
bigzaggin
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 11:50 AM
WOW

his pass was pulled because he failed to list the offense or because of the offense itself? Either way, that is some strict stuff. Does the SENTRI ostensibly immunize you from secondary? Not that I intend to traffic heroin, but does it? I always assumed it worked like the "fast pass" lane on toll roads, but if that were the case, how could they know if everyone in the car had the pass?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 12:00 PM

They have random checks.
I get the feeling they wish they never started the program. Two or three times earlier this year, I read about apprehensions in the lane, hidden drugs and people. Those are only what I have heard about. Must be more.

My buddy listed the ancient offense, at a time when it didnt seem like such a big deal. Times at Sentri have changed.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 01:47 PM

There are electronic card readers at the lanes that bring your picture up on the screen the DHS officer looks at. The officers usually also ask for the cards and compare them to who is in the vehicle. I have my whole family signed up -- a five minute wait beats two hours in a hot car with two kids who need to take a leak. Enforcement has indeed become stricter, from what I hear.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
bigzaggin
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 04:40 PM

How exhaustive is the background check? Not like my crew of friends have lengthy wrapsheets but the only way this makes sense in my situation is to sign-up with guys I go down there with, some of whom got say, a "drunk in public" ten years ago or a "minor in possession" in high school. Does one need to have lived a completely sin-free life to qualify?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 04:51 PM

If you ever wiped your butt with the wrong hand, you wont get one.
bigzaggin
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 05:01 PM

Well then it's a good thing I've never wiped my butt. Which reminds me, how do the SENTRI people feel about hygene?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 05:08 PM

Oh BigZ -------

Dont tell everybody here that you've never wiped yourself. Your social calendar will empty out in a minute.

Oh... I know..... you're just making a joke.
Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 05:11 PM

How many non butt whipers on board tonight?:lol:

READY SET.....................
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 11:03 AM

Oh oh! ..... looks like this is the butt end of this string.:moon:
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 10-26-2006 at 05:07 PM
Let's try again...

Has anyone found a website for the on-line renewal of the Sentri Pass?

Yes, there are some people who do get Sentri passes. It just happens to be the case when US citizens have been cleared for Top Secret and Special Access Military programs, the clearances go very smoothly. Also, people who do not have an arrest record and/or leave off important matters found on the public record, do get passes as well.

SENTRI does not immunize one from secondary. There are random checks.

Once each person who got a card had to be associated to a car - one person, per car - one car per person. Therefore, if you wanted to register two cars, you had to bring two people. This has been changed so that any person having a SENTRI card can cross in any SENTRI tagged car. People without SENTRI cards cannot pass in the lane just because the car has a tag. People with a SENTRI card cannot pass in a car without a SENTRI tag.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 10-26-2006 at 06:37 PM
Gull

I have waited to post a possible answer just to wait and see if anyone was really interested.

We have had Sentri cards since it started and we just renewed (again) two months ago--at the Sentri office in San Ysidro. I asked then about renewels on line and the guy re-fingerprinting and photographing us just laughed.

During the time we have had the passes we have been pulled into secondary many more times that we had during the previous 35+ years. Increased random checks are built into the computer to re-enforce the 'honor' system. Violate it for any reason and your cards are gone forever and there is no appeal.

What is starting to bother me is that originally started we were told they only issue less than 10,000 passes and have one lane at San Ysidro, Then they added a lane at Otay and another a San Ysidro.

When we renewed we were told that they had issued over 50,000 passes. The last time it took us almost 30 minutes to get to the gate I told the guy that it was a record for us. He laughed and said that things were going to get worse because they had issued 85,000 cards.

Do the math--A concert promoter would be tossed in jail for over booking that much.

The background checks--I attended the FBI National Academy back in 1975 and the Sentri checks are far more extensive. Their idea is to get folks who won't play the system. That's why the additional checks and the guy in the booth has nothing to say about who and when you go to secondary.

I'm wondering if we will bother to renew next time.

[Edited on 10-27-2006 by Baja Bernie]

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
bigzaggin
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2006 at 06:55 PM

A pretty convincing argument against and really amazing info about the background check. I have been to secondary like, twice in the past 15 years, so I am over it (Oh well Dennis, I'll just have to leave your pad a tad earlier next time!)

Has there been a lot of disillusionment in general with the passes/process? Is reform probable?
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2006 at 11:31 PM

Bernie is right.

Reform is inevitable.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 10-27-2006 at 07:30 AM
Mateo

Hopefully you are right---but remember it is run by our government!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2006 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
Hopefully you are right---but remember it is run by our government!

Patience is a virtue? :no:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.