Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Availability of Lamb in BCS
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 11:10 AM
Availability of Lamb in BCS

Why is lamb, my favorite meat , so hard to find in BCS ?
Have tried many a times in La Paz, with the help of the desk people in the El Moro, where we stay 4 to 5 times a year, and have yet to find a place where they sell lamb. Lots of flocks of sheep in the Constitution and Lopez Mateo's area, so lamb must be somewhere. Any of you guys living in the La Paz area have any useful inf. about this ?:?::?::?:
jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 11:18 AM

if i was looking for lamb id ask the cook at el rays tacos in loreto he and his family are from that area and are in the cattle or meat busness ask him about lamb

good luck jerry

jerry and judi
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 11:18 AM

Van:
At the Fresno Ejido going from Loreto, go out to the Ejido about 7 miles South. There is a Large Dairy and was at one time a Sheep Farm.
Might ask at the Public Market in Constitution.
Lamb is also my Favorite and would you beleive here in the Beef Capitol of the World I have to Order Lamb ahead of time from Albertsons. Reason being, I am told, is that Cowboys don't eat Lamb! Also Local Lamb is very High in Price.{Lamb Shanks $19.23 a Lb.}.

Skeet/Loreto
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 11:27 AM

Ugh you want Borrego, its everywhere, some places specialize in it, My neighbor has a Barbecue with Borrego twice a year they don't ask me anymore.:o:o:o:o

Just ask for Borrego.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
hookemup
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 11:35 AM

If you get to Cabo ,try Costco they have rack of lamb and leg of lamb,but not always, more so in high season,( bring lotsa pesos )
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 01:28 PM

Lamb is great... but you gotta serve it with MINT JELLY!!!!:light::biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan

Just ask for Borrego.

026_22A_0001.JPG - 43kB

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 01:45 PM

Unfortunatly we couldn't stay for dinner....

027_23A_0001.JPG - 48kB

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 01:48 PM

I can hear one right now outside my window. My neighbors have had him tied up for about 2 weeks feeding him lotsa green stuff. I cannot stand to hear him cry. He seems to be saying...noooooo
nooooooooot meeeeeeeee, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.
Borrega is grown up lamb, I think and can be tough.

Remember tail up....goat
Tail down......sheep
:dudette:

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 03:29 PM

A neighbor has found a place on the right hand side of the hwy going south in Contitutiion. He says it is the best! Big yellow sign that says "LAMB". He says the Lamb sancwhich is to die for and is HUGE!
Price
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 05:02 PM

Anybody know where you can get lamb & goat in San Felipe ????????????????:?::?::?::?::?:
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Ugh you want Borrego, its everywhere, some places specialize in it, My neighbor has a Barbecue with Borrego twice a year they don't ask me anymore.:o:o:o:o

Just ask for Borrego.

Comitan,
Locations please !!
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 05:54 PM

Centenario

The last restaurant on the left, its 2 story owned by an aussie mexican, wife the sign blew down from the hurricane can't remember the name, I'll take better notice when in La Paz for others.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Garry
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 08:36 PM

HOLA, I have Lamb Shanks an Mint here, as Ed knows, Also lots of Mint Jelly on Carpet
kellychapman
Nomad

Mood: heavenly

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 08:50 PM

It is funny how the answer pops up just when you ask yourself outloud....I want to find some lamb....wonder why it is so difficult to find??....Yahoo for all your wonderful places to chase down some lamb....and mint jelly of course...if not will have to make my own..
also isn't borrego more of a "mutton"? yuck....only the young ones are perfectly tender.and sweet...as the older ones are tough and smell awful..just my personal opion from being semi-raised on a sheep farm.....
O happy day!!!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 04:50 AM

kellychapman.... I think that you are right on with your call on Borrego bieng ... mutom. But I have enjoyed BBQing it. Any good dry rub for a few hours or over night. Then I turn the BBQ on high and burn the outside. Be carefull because it is really fatty and can catch fire BIG time! Then I turn it down to low and cook it for a few hours until it just comes off the bone. If you put it in foil after the burn it comes out really juicy and tender when finished. And not so messy on the BBQ. An orange base sauce is really nice with it. So far my farvorite cut is the shoulder.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 06:17 AM

I think if you check the Meet markets instead of the desk people in the El Moro hotel. you will find it everywhere.:yes:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 07:30 AM

Tried that Bruce, long before asking, without luck. See, not as dumb as you think I am:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

BTW. Kelly,
According to the dictionary, Carnero is mutton, borrego is a yearling lamb and cordero is lamb in general.:light::light:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 07:45 AM

vandenberg I don't think you are dumb at all . I never have any trouble finding it in the regional meat markets.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

CP
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 10:08 AM
Soriana Meat Dept

I was in La Paz two weeks ago and saw some decent looking lamb/borrego chops in the meat department at Soriana (not sure if thats the name of the mall or the store itself). Also a whole case full of their heads so possibly if you ask the butchers they can get you something farther down on the carcass. Side note - I bought good frozen quail there.
We often buy 'ram' ribs at Super Ley in CC. Cook them like beef ribs (dry rub, beer, onions, covered pan in oven an hour, finish on grill with sauce). Tender and tasty.
I also highly recommend stopping at the place in Insurgentes someone mentioned, La Candelaria...just south of the big turn from Loreto. I never knew borrego birria was so great for breakfast!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.