Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Good news for Baja Wines
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 12:55 AM
Mexican Wine

I will mention the Washington Columbia Crest Shiraz and Chard. Consistantly winners at under ten bucks! A couple of my favorites. My last purchase of the Columbia Crest Shiraz was at 7.99 per bottle. There are three tiers of this wine and the least expensive is as good as the most expensive.

Salud!

Iflyfish
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 06:17 AM

right on re: columbia crest! always good quality and at great prices, look for specials out of the large grocerie chains like albertsons and safe way.

2 years ago we flew up the columbia river doing a wine tour, got permission to land at the CC private strip next to the winery, then it was the red grape carpet treatment! we ended up with 4 cases at that stop before hitting walla walla and yakima vallies.

love that washington state wine area.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Trader Joes....Gato Negro from Chile....try the cab-merlot blend....$4.99 a bottle

these are available in Mexico at about 5 to 8 dollars and probably the best buy here

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 03:25 PM

Im a big fan of Columbia Crest, too. But in most cases, it pays to buy their "Grand Estates" designation which is available in most of their varietals. Usually only about 4.00 more per bottle.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 04:26 PM

Trader Joes ---- Two [3] Buck Chuck. Absolutley defies snobbery.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 05:08 PM

Actually, my scant knowlege of Guadalupe Valley wine does carry one memory.
I was doing photography work for a Sprout plant, new and large, west of San Antonio de Las Minas, near G.V. and was talking with an expert on growing in the area. He was hired for his expertise by the Sprout company.
He questioned whether the Guadalupe Valley had the requisite twenty one nights of true frost necessary to produce good grapes used for wine.
He didn't believe so.
His was only an opinion although learned and unbiased.

I also recall, some years ago, post NAFTA, when a festival was organized in G.V. to showcase the wines of the region and others. When the local vintners got wind of the fact that a few Northern California wineries were scheduled to show their products, a few dropped out. At the time there were not many more than a few in G.V. and the festival was incomplete in its attendance.

It all came down to Mexican Business not wanting to compete. They shudder when the word is mentioned. Just as grocery stores here basically have the same prices. If you notice, the prices are uniformally too high by U.S. consumer standards. That's not because of import or shipping but because sellers have decided what profit margin they all want to work with. No competition.

Fifteen years age, I would see in stores around Ensenada, one gallon jugs of Santo Tomas Vino Tinto, priced at eighteen dollars. Last year I saw the same bottle of parts-wash at Smart and Final, eighteen dollars.

When Mexico allows competition, the wines of G.V. will find their true value. Now the price is fixed by emotion and protectionist greed.

Think about quality when you test it...... not its origen.
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

If you do that, you will rarely buy GV wines.

I agree, Dennis. I'm not sure there are 21 days of frost in the GV.

Very enlightening post.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2006 at 09:44 AM

Quote:

When Mexico allows competition, the wines of G.V. will find their true value. Now the price is fixed by emotion and protectionist greed.

I disagree with you, competition is already here, and it has been for years. If not you couldnt find the huge range of Chilean, Spanish, and Argentinian wines that you find in the supermarkets. The fact that you can find great 10 dollar chilean wines anywhere will prove theres no protectionism for anyone when it comes to wines.

The fact is, Mexicans wines are taxed under the same standars as liquor and beer are. That means that regardless of the quality that you produce, you can never equal your price with similar value wines from abroad. Thus, there is little incentive to produce top wines because you can always find cheaper foreing wines of equal quality.

I worked in perhaps the restaurant that sells more wine in all of Mexico. People buy more expensive Mexican wine because they like it. And for example, i have heard from many sommeliers from Chile and Spain, that american wines try too hard to please. Its a matter of taste.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2006 at 12:52 PM

Hey! this is a very interesting topic, don't tell me you guys don't want to keep it alive.

Anyways, i do not agree with some people that think California wines are better than lets say, Bordeaux wines. Yes california wines are immediate gratification fruit bombs, but that in my opinion, is not the royal standar on wich all wines should be measured. Mexicans wines lean more towards Bordeaux than California, more subtle, more relaxed, and definately not too desperate to please.

[Edited on 10-24-2006 by JESSE]

Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2006 at 01:05 PM

Yeah - keep talking.

I had a cab from Santo Tomas in the Todos santos wine bar and thought it was pretty dam good.

I wondered why I cant find it in the states, meanwhile chile and Arg. are churning out fantastic <10 dollar bottles. Explains some things.

yuletide
Dave
Elite Nomad

biggrin.gif posted on 10-24-2006 at 01:37 PM
Yes, but ...

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Hey! this is a very interesting topic, don't tell me you guys don't want to keep it alive.

Anyways, i do not agree with some people that think California wines are better than lets say, Bordeaux wines. Yes california wines are immediate gratification fruit bombs, but that in my opinion, is not the royal standar on wich all wines should be measured. Mexicans wines lean more towards Bordeaux than California, more subtle, more relaxed, and definately not too desperate to please.

Who wouldn't prefer an French Estate Bordeaux, or a Grand Cru Chablis vs. a Cal CabSav or Chardonnay?

My pockets aren't that deep. ;)

Mexican vintner's experiment with the French tradition is noble. But even if they were successful, who would pay the price and where is the market? If someone can afford $3-400 & up for a great bottle the're gonna buy French. (I would.)

Mexico needs to compete with Cal at the under $40 level. They ain't doing a good job.

BTW, just what is the VAT structure, per liter? How much tax is added to a bottle?

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2006 at 03:01 PM

Quote:
Trader Joes ---- Two [3] Buck Chuck. Absolutley defies snobbery.

I had several bottles of the very first rollout of the Charles Shaw. I thought the Chard and the Merlot (or was it a Cab?) were really pretty good.

I have tried other versions since and have been disappointed.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2006 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:

Who wouldn't prefer an French Estate Bordeaux, or a Grand Cru Chablis vs. a Cal CabSav or Chardonnay?

My pockets aren't that deep. ;)

Mexican vintner's experiment with the French tradition is noble. But even if they were successful, who would pay the price and where is the market? If someone can afford $3-400 & up for a great bottle the're gonna buy French. (I would.)

Mexico needs to compete with Cal at the under $40 level. They ain't doing a good job.

BTW, just what is the VAT structure, per liter? How much tax is added to a bottle?

I don't think Mexican wines want to compete with California, and in my opinion, they shouldnt. I think one of the main mistakes Bordeaux made was to try to compare itself to California, wich was a mistake because the styles and caracteristics of both wines are very different.

I think our wines should follow their own path, and its too early to tell where this is going to end.

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 10-24-2006 at 04:52 PM

I would love to drink some Baja wines but at $35 I can get a LeCuvier Pentimento from John Muench at Paso Robles or a Lucia Pinot from Monterey Co...still though, would like to go wine tasting in the G.V., heard its getting better in spots.

Incidentally--Two Buck Chuck is cardboard box wine repackaged(Franzia I think) in bottles--buy the box and save even more...we make Sangria with it every year at our favorite Baja spot....everyone pitches in cutting fruit to make it in the morning, by 2:00 in the afternoon its ready and, well, not much gets done the rest of the day!
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2006 at 05:01 PM
Will try

always looking for a good cheapo wine.

If you see any of the Crane Lake Petite Syrah around, that is another ~5.00 bottle of good juice.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2006 at 05:22 PM

You guys chek out the following Chileans, they are very good for the price:

Concha y Toro TRIO Merlot blend
Ventisquero reserva Merlot

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 10-24-2006 at 05:34 PM
Just a recent personal experience

Jesse and others are the professionals, and I can't argue the fine points of the state of the wine industry and how they control quality, I am just a happy consumer; but there is a lot of exciting growth and creativity going on in the Guadalupe Valle.

Last month we took some friends to lunch at Laja Restaurant in the GV. A fabulous meal, 5 star meal, nuff said.

We had a "Xina" (as I recall) Zinfandel to accompany (#'s xxx in a bottling of 350). The price per bottle was around $30.

Our guests, who are sophisticated and experienced about wine and food, raved about the wine and how it went equally well with the fish and meat courses.

I suspect that the Baja wine producers have not solved the hugh issues concerning product quality control and distribution. Monte Xanic wines, which I love, are for sale in the grocery stores in Rosarito, but I find them disappointing there - I don't think the stores handle them properly.

I think the answer for now is to go to the producers or the individual restaurants that understand the wine and enjoy them there.

I firmly believe that there are world class wines being produced by dedicated people in the GV.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2006 at 07:24 PM

I find Monte Xanic has lagged behind others in the Guadalupe Valley. They still have the name (and the price), but the quality has not improved that much compared to others. The real jewels are to be found with the small producers and some of the up and comers that are doing pretty good work.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2006 at 07:40 PM
I wish you would stop doing that

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Monte Xanic wines, which I love, are for sale in the grocery stores in Rosarito, but I find them disappointing there

The aisles are difficult to negotiate as it is. ;)

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2006 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
The real jewels are to be found with the small producers

Mogor Badan, one of the smallest produces lovely wine. Good luck finding any at retail.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.