BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: 1 week in baja from tj border- where 2 go?
olivia

[*] posted on 10-19-2006 at 11:28 PM
1 week in baja from tj border- where 2 go?

hi there. my husband and i are planning a one week, first time trip to baha starting on january 2nd. can we get some experienced suggestions for ian itinerary? we will have our own truck and want to see and enjoy some of the 'real baha' without driving our brains out. does bahia concepcion sound like a good turnaround point, or too far?

ideas, por favor?

gracias.

olivia
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 06:10 AM

Welcome olivia
are you going to be camping or staying in Hotels? I think bahia concepcion is about the furthest you would want to go with only 1 week.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

olivia

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 08:03 AM

hey. thanks for your response. so, we have been thinking of mixing some camping with some hotels, depending on weather. im kind of a sissy when it comes to being cold or wet. good thing i live in portland, oregon???? so saying we were to try to get to bahia concepcion, what do you would be a good plan for our 7 days?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

olivia
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 08:15 AM

dose the 7 days include the drive from Portland? or is it all in Baja Ca.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 08:43 AM

Olivia, to be sensible from Portland it is 3 days each way.
Not worth it. I would suggest San Quintin to El Rosario. That would give you 3 days to explore. The other route could be San Felipe to Puertecitos.
If you chose San Quintin make the trip from TJ to San Quintin in the day time only. There are a lot of dangers on that road at night. Night driving any where in Baja is very dangerous.
Have a great trip....

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 08:45 AM

I forgot to say if you can increase your trip 2 days for travel Mulege is well worth it.

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 09:07 AM

Bahia de los Angeles should be the farthest and there is so much to see and do around there... If you cross the border in the morning then make El Rosario's Baja Cactus Motel your first stop (next door to the Pemex where you should top off your tank)... This is 220 miles from the border. motel@bajacactus.com to reserve a room (mention you are a Baja Nomad).

Have breakfast next door at Mama Espinoza's or 2 miles down the highway at Baja's Best Bed & Breakfast (Starbucks Coffee logo on building, on the right).

Around El Rosario are mission ruins, dynamic coastlines (La Lobera), sand beach (La Bocana), Panga fishing (Punta Baja), Boojum and cardon cactus forests, old mines (Sauzalito), great petroglyph and fossil site (Las Pintas).

Between El Rosario and Bahia de los Angeles (L.A. Bay) is San Fernando mission ruins and petroglyps, El Marmol onyx mine, El Volcan geyser, Cataviņa painted cave & boulders, Mision Santa Maria (very tough 4WD road), Tinaja de Yubay historic waterhole on the El Camino Real, Mision San Borja (a must see 21 good dirt miles away), Montevideo painted cliff (7 miles off the San Borja road, just 2 miles from paved L.A. Bay road) a must see!

In L.A. Bay see the museum, turtle research station, La Gringa area, Las Flores, the islands... wow wish I was going!

Bahia de los Angeles is 180 miles from El Rosario and has a gas station (again top off your tank when they are open)...

Motels or campgrounds or cabins at L.A. Bay are available... lots of good restaurants and taco stands! Las Hamacas is one of them...

See my 'Self Guided Tours' web site to view photos of area sites to decide what you want to do... They are grouped around destination points, such as El Rosario, Cataviņa, Bahia de los Angeles, Bahia San Luis Gonzaga, San Felipe, etc.

Want some adventure... Return north via Gonzaga Bay and San Felipe... Meet Coco of Coco's Corner, dine on garlic shrimp at Alfonsina's Restaurant and Motel, camp at Campo Beluga just south of Alfonsina's if you want...

See the Enchanted Islands as you drive north from Gonzaga...

Here is that web page to show you what's there: http://community-2.webtv.net/vivabaja/tours

In fact, here are photos taken along that route from January 2005... http://vivabaja.com/105

Here's Baja Angel with a look at the Enchanted Islands...

See the other photos in the links above... You want the best of the 'real Baja'... you got it!

Just a note: San Ignacio, Mulege and Concepcion Bay are all worthy of a visit but a few more days really should be devoted to your trip for going to Baja Calif. Sur.

[Edited on 10-20-2006 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 10:20 AM

Another option that might ease you into the Baja experience would be to aim for the Erindira/Punta Cabras area. Personally, I think gunning for El Rosario on day one of your first ever trip is ambitious - especially since you'll want to get there well before sundown. Erindira is a tiny village about an hour or so south of Maneadero (which itself is just south of Ensenada) that's fairly easy to find and has dirt roads (albeit easy ones) heading north and south that lead to some really nice campsites. Certainly anyone in that town could point you to Punta Cabras, a series of dunes and beaches that, while well known, are still fairly empty mid-week and reflect "real" Baja (word of caution:drive VERY slowly through Erindira...bored cops in the area).

Another option would be to spend night one in the Punta Banda/La Bufadora area. La Bufadora - The Blowhole - is a mammoth water spout and the area itself has no shortage of RV parks/hotels/campsites (search "La Bufadora" on youtube for clips of the geyser).

From there you could head south per David K.'s itinerary to El Rosario and, further south, cross over to the Cortez side (assuming your "one week" does NOT include the drive down from Portland. If it does, you'll be driving the ENTIRE time). All that stuff about driving at nite might seem melodramatic BTW, but it is real. Be careful when the sun goes down.

Your first time down - wherever you go - you will be amazed at the beauty and solitude of a place so close to our sprawl. Even if you were to stay somewhere north of Ensenada (Salsipuedes for example), you would be into it.

Get a good map before you go. Know that finding firewood is not easy (many people bring their own). Prepare for hot all day/cold all nite. Baby wipes go a long way. Don't go into Rosarito (unless you happen to be juniors at A.S.U. looking to take tequila body shots) and make sure you know the translation of "llantera" before you turn offroad.

Best of luck.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 12:08 PM

Waiting to hear if the week includes the drive from Portland.

But in the meantime, I'd just say that ANY Pacific location and BOLA is likely to be cold or windy or both. Of course everyone's definition of cold is different but it's likely to be no higher than 70 degrees at any of these locations and daytime highs in the mid 60s are very probable. O'night lows along the Pacific will not be too bad, maybe mid 50s, but o'night lows in BOLA could be high 30s-mid 40s. STRONG WINDS VERY LIKELY IN BOLA AT THAT TIME.

Of course the ocean will not be swimmable (without a wetsuit) anywhere within a week for the average person.

Concepcion/Mulege may be the best choice but in a week's time, you need to make good use of the limited daylight for driving. It's pushing it.

Have to say that if I was at the border in the AM, it would be a waste of good daylight to stop in El Rosario, if my destination is further south. I'd make for Rancho Santa Inez, at least, and camp unless you need showers that night.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 12:20 PM

Note the thread title: 1 week in baja from tj border- where 2 go?

Sounds like the 1 week part will be IN Baja.

I suggested El Rosario only if they cross in the morning as it is a 5 hour drive from Tijuana (220 miles). Punta Cabras is a good camping spot for the first night, otherwise... http://vivabaja.com/cabras about halfway to El Rosario.

Please let us know if your truck is 4WD...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 03:08 PM

Split your trip up from the border, El Rosario is 6 to 7 hours, good spot to stay overnight (Baja Cactus Hotel) Then motor on down to Mulege, a longer drive, but get into the last of the warm water and warm weather before its gone for the winter. Pacific side is already cooling down at night, not that thats a bad thing!

BigZaggin is right though, Erindira and Punta Cabras is great exploring with good roads if your looking for a side trip.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
olivia

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 07:28 PM

hi there. so excited to see all of the helpful suggestions. i will look over it all and respond this weekend. heading out for a show for tonite. quickly though, we are spending 7 days from and to tj. looking so forward to it!!!

thanks so much.

olivia
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 07:34 PM

some times it is fun to just go and not plan things so tite. then you can spend more time on things that look good to you and Less on what looks good to others.

[Edited on 10-21-2006 by Bruce R Leech]

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 07:55 PM

Dont go to BOLA!:P

READY SET.....................
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Waiting to hear if the week includes the drive from Portland.

But in the meantime, I'd just say that ANY Pacific location and BOLA is likely to be cold or windy or both. Of course everyone's definition of cold is different but it's likely to be no higher than 70 degrees at any of these locations and daytime highs in the mid 60s are very probable. O'night lows along the Pacific will not be too bad, maybe mid 50s, but o'night lows in BOLA could be high 30s-mid 40s. STRONG WINDS VERY LIKELY IN BOLA AT THAT TIME.

Of course the ocean will not be swimmable (without a wetsuit) anywhere within a week for the average person.

Concepcion/Mulege may be the best choice but in a week's time, you need to make good use of the limited daylight for driving. It's pushing it.

Have to say that if I was at the border in the AM, it would be a waste of good daylight to stop in El Rosario, if my destination is further south. I'd make for Rancho Santa Inez, at least, and camp unless you need showers that night.

Hook... great post , super info..

[Edited on 10-21-2006 by Al G]

Albert G

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 09:04 PM
L.A. Bay on Jan. 2

Since that is the date you give for your trip... have a look...

This photo of L.A. Bay was taken on Jan. 2, 2005... No wind (note flat water), beautiful sunshine, cold only at night...

Naturally, the weather is the weather... but this is what we experienced that year (I was there the previous 3 New Years as well), but wind, rain, and earthquakes are all possible!

I agree with Bruce in that you shouldn't stick to too tight a schedule... But with photos you can get an idea of what you might want to see.

SEE: http://community-2.webtv.net/vivabaja/tours

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 10:06 PM

If I had only seven days, I'd do the Gonzaga road. It can be a long, rough dirt road if you're in any hurry at all. But if you slow way down, and if the road has been graded by then, you'll be rewarded with the "real" Baja. First, I'd drive to San Felipe and stay either at the Hotel El Cortez or camp at Camp Punta Estrella or a similar camp. Then I'd head south toward Gonzaga Bay, but I'd camp at one of the very remote beaches along the way. It's possible to find a place to camp by the sea that is remote enough to light an M-80 without anybody else hearing it. I like the idea of camping alone at a remote spot with nobody to bother you as opposed to camping alone along Highway 1. After that, I'd spend a few days at Campo Beluga or whichever suits your fancy in Gonzaga Bay. Any holiday crowds should be gone after Jan 2. Then, after stopping at Coco's for a drink, I'd go to Catavina to admire the desert and stay either at Rancho Sta. Ines in Catavina or Baja Cactus in El Rosario. For the last evening, I'd camp at El Pebellon in San Quintin, camp at Erindera, or stay at the Estero Beach Resort just south of Ensenada. It should be an easy cruise back to TJ by that time. Sounds like a good time to me if the winds aren't blowing to hard. And even if they are, I'd rather ride them out inching along the Gonzaga road enjoying the scenery rather than hunkered down in a hotel somewhere.
DavidT
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 10:52 PM

Notes from Mulege trip October 2005:
Depart downtown San Diego 4 AM Saturday, tourist cards at San Ysidro 4:30 AM.
Breakfast at Mision Santa Isabel, north of San Quintin 8:30 AM.
Fuel At El Rosario 10:15 AM.
Military inspection just north of Jesus Maria 2:00 PM
Arrived San Ignacio 4:30 PM, stayed at http://www.ignaciosprings.com/ wonderful place.
Went to the San Ignacio mission Sunday AM, on the road to Mulege at 9:45 AM.
Drove into Ecomundo at 11:00 AM, closed on sunday, so we stayed at Campo Naranjo sunday and monday night. Moved to Ecomundo for tuesday and wendsday night. Left Conception Bay thursday AM, drove back to San Ignacio for thursday night. Left Ignacio Springs Friday morning at 9:30, stopped for the night at The Old Mill in San Quintin. Left the Mill 7:00 AM Saturday, breakfast at Mision Santa Isabel, crossed San Ysidro about 1:30 PM Saturday.
The first three days in Mulege/Conception Bay were blown out, but temps were nice.

Please understand that we have driven this route before, and drove past many areas of interest. But the areas between TJ and Mulege may very well be cold and windy during your trip. If you can stretch your time a couple more days I would definetly vote for Mulege.

David
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.
John M
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 04:52 AM
Packoderm's trip outline

Your thought that you'd "want to see and enjoy some of the 'real baha' without driving our brains out" fits perfectly IMHO with the trip proposed by Packoderm.

Of course the real Baha, as you put it, is so many different things to each of us.

I'd suggest that by driving from TJ to El Rosario in 5 hours on a first time trip will make Baja a blur rather than a memory.

John M.
dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 08:04 AM

I you have not I would strongly suggest that you invest in the Automobile club tour guide. The lastest issue is:

Mexico's Baja California
ISBN# 1-56413-644-2
Published 2004
540 pages
cost-$13.95 members, $18.95 non members

Note; This is not the Mexico Tour Book which is free to members --and essentially useless for Baja Travel..

I would also suggest that you aquire Mexican insurance. Auto club sells it but very expensive, others also offer insurance The Vagabundos which encludes a news letter or Lewis & Lewis which markets insurnace only there fore is considerably less expensive.

Enjoy your trip! It will be an adventure you will remembr for a long long time

DM
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.