Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: 4 days in El Rosario
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 04:05 PM
4 days in El Rosario

A belated report. This trip was Labor Day weekend when Hurricane John was making its way through the Cortez, Loreto, Mulege and Santa Rosalia.

It was a well-needed extended-weekend escape. We actually left on Saturday and returned Tuesday night. Contacted the Baja Cactus Motel for a reservation for those three nights ahead of time - and no problems.

In July we had attended the town festival, but for anyone paying attention I was on crutches and forced to take the 2wd, low-clearance, mini-van - which limited exploring ability greatly. This time I had healed enough to drive the 5sp Tacoma 4x - and we took advantage of that during our stay.

El Rosario had always been a supply-locale for me in previous years (gas, drinks, food, ice), but now having learned more about the local area, have found it to be a rewarding destination on this type of extended weekend that's accessible enough from Southern California, yet far enough away from tourism-focused towns closer to the border.

The Baja Cactus Motel is a spectacular value, especially for a family like ours being able to take advantage of one of their two rooms having "lofts." These rooms have two very comfortable king-size beds, along with a ladder-entry loft above with two more twin-sized beds. The rooms are always very clean and well-kept.

From here on, I'll let the pictures do most of the talking... but suffice it to say we very much enjoyed the time staying in El Rosario. We left Saturday (I again made use of the BajaBound service for auto insurance - printed it out right online... niiiice) - and we arrived in El Rosario a bit later on Saturday. On Sunday we meandered our way around town - including breakfast at the yellow B&B, and then wandered out to Punta Baja in the afternoon.... carne asada tacos upon our return.

On Monday (after checking on the status - and traffic of the BajaNomad site) we made our way north by way of La Lobera, and on to a later afternoon cracked-crab meal at Cielito Lindo (after spying what was going on - which was nothing - at the Wet Buzzard). Then made the 28 miles or so back to El Rosario. And Tuesday....

On Tuesday the site on BajaNomad had come to a crawl, and technical difficulties with the Internet connection at the Baja Cactus (using satellite) for just that morning - had me looking for an Internet connection... and the folks at the Baja Cactus directed me to the Police station, where they allowed me to come in and use the computers in the side room there to access the BajaNomad site and make sure things were running as well as possible considering the circumstances. I can't emphasize enough how much this meant to me so that I was able to keep the site up and running at the time. For the most part over the weekend, the people in town were NOT aware of the problems in the South, and all they really knew was that there was little traffic coming from that direction, especially truck-traffic. But that was ALL they knew. I showed some kids at the Police station computer room some of the pictures Nomads in Mulege had been posting to their shock and amazement.

Nobody knew. And I was following it the whole time via the Internet. Amazing.

So, afterwards on Tuesday, we made our way back home at a leisurely pace (at least for me)... and returning through the border on Tuesday was such a pleasure compared to a Sunday night. Whew!

The Baja Cactus:

Two kings and two twins...

Nice fixtures - nice touch...

Jon, at the top of the ladder up in the loft...

As you enter the Baja Cactus - this shot on Sunday morning...

Breakfast at Baja's Best B&B...

Looking out over Punta Baja...

At the point...

Hunting in the tide pools...

At the carne asada stand... kids and Michelle were QUITE happy...

Monday at La Lobera.... first you have to pass right by this unwelcoming sign:

To get to one of the most spectacular coasts anywhere... and the lobster restaurant is probably open for business as we speak. It was 20pesos (or US$2) to park for the day, and Jaime was the caretaker of the place who gave us a light mini-tour of the restaurant building (but not the extended part of the building - the restaurant is on the second level of the portion on the ocean-side. I don't know if they'll charge for parking after the restaurant is open.

And btw... the road out to the restaurant is not one I would've been able to easily drive my Ford minivan out to... there's some soft, deep silty-stuff to get through - at least at this time.

Yes, that's abalone...

This is the entrace from the ocean into the sea lion's cave/crater here.

This is from the top (3rd) level - above the restaurant.

Onward to the Cielito Lindo, just south of San Quintin... and for what, well the cracked-crab still ain't bad... nope, not one bit...

Back to the Baja Cactus Motel...

On Tuesday, we stopped at a highway-side seafood stand restaurant recommended on our previous trip by Antonio of the Baja Cactus - and we did stop this time. Quite worthy - and busy... called "El Cliente"...

[Edited on 10-21-2006 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 04:55 PM

Doug, where is El Cliente exactly? Is it in the stretch of mariscos shops north of SQ?

[Edited on 10-20-2006 by Hook]
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 05:20 PM

Hook, exactly.

It's on the east side of the highway - towards the northern end of this stretch of seafood stands.

--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 11:06 AM

Fantastic report Doug!

You too have discovered that EL ROSARIO isn't just for topping the tanks to continue south... it is worthy of being a destination as well!

Great photos of Antonio's motel, La Lobera and your family!

Gracias and see you soon!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 10:00 PM

Thanks Doug...REALLY nice to meet your family.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2006 at 12:21 PM

BN, good example of how to properly raise kids, once Baja is in em' it wont leave em' alone, my boys are grown and gone but Baja is always on the list of things to talk about when we get together, thanks for the nice report.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2006 at 04:00 PM

Doug, fantastic report and photos. An lot has changed since we last visited La Lobera - a lot of new construction and the restaurant is actually functioning. WOW! Loved the photos and the narrative. Can't wait to go back and see all those changes.
As far as the sign, I guess you just ignore it, right?
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 10-22-2006 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
As far as the sign, I guess you just ignore it, right?
Bob,

Jaime explained to me the restaurant would be open by now (however, knowing Baja-time, you should first confirm from other sources).

And yes, I've been advised to ignore the sign, and as long as I've had 20 pesos or 2 bucks US, they've always been very gracious to us. When approached for the fee, I perceived from his mannerisms that many people scoff at the fee.

--
Doug

[Edited on 10-23-2006 by BajaNomad]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 03:37 PM

2006 to 2017 time warp!
Bump up to have a look back at El Rosario and La Lobera with BajaNomad doing the driving!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 05:09 PM

Thanks Doug. Very interesting. Nice photos.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Nashville Frank
Junior Nomad

Mood: Baja happy

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 06:46 PM

Guys,
I got to reading this and I thought "Man, SuperNomad and family were recently in El Rosario, just like me (February 4-14)!"
Then I happened to notice the date of 2006!

A lot is still the same, some has changed. But, for sure, its still a great destination spot. More on that in my own travel report.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 07:10 PM

Yeah, I didn't catch that.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 07:17 PM

So I am guessing La Lobera is abandoned and deserted?

Quote: Originally posted by Nashville Frank  
Guys,
I got to reading this and I thought "Man, SuperNomad and family were recently in El Rosario, just like me (February 4-14)!"
Then I happened to notice the date of 2006!

A lot is still the same, some has changed. But, for sure, its still a great destination spot. More on that in my own travel report.

[Edited on 3-15-2017 by fishbuck]

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 07:22 PM

Now I get it.

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
2006 to 2017 time warp!
Bump up to have a look back at El Rosario and La Lobera with BajaNomad doing the driving!

Here.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 08:56 PM

Yes, La Lobera was abandoned when we visited it in September.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-14-2017 at 09:12 PM

Was the Diamante resort place going to be on the ocean front north of the El Rosario river boca? I see a few oceanfront houses over there and lots of dirt roads leading away from the the runway toward the river mouth. I was aware of it but never knew what is was going to be.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 08:08 AM

Yes, north of the river valley and south of La Lobera. There is nothing left of any structures, maybe the visitors center? Too bad... so much time and money were spent and the people of El Rosario were hopeful. Back to fishing and farming!

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 11:34 AM

That was a great trip report even though it was 2006!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 04:50 PM

Great trip report, Doug, and photos. But I thought your son was somewhat bigger now?
:biggrin:

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 3-15-2017 at 06:14 PM

I am facinated that Diamante believed this was a viable developement.
If I was rich enough to need a jet runway I think I might just keep flying and go to La Paz or Cabo or maybe even Loreto.
I have a runway in my little developement and there has only been 2 new houses built there in 12 or so years since I first got there. And a better town nearby in regard to services.

[Edited on 3-16-2017 by fishbuck]

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.