Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Airfare
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 06:17 PM
Airfare

What's up with the high cost of flying to Cabo? Relatives and friends want to come visit from San Diego or LA and are finding it cheaper to fly to Hawaii, east coast or just about anywhere else. Sheesh! We finally got our pad up to speed and prices to get here have gone nuts.:no:

Of course, it does keep the low budget surfers from clogging the lineup. Anybody with airlines connections know if this is going to last?

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 06:21 PM

If you can afford to stay in Cabo then the airfare shouldn't be a problem. ;D

El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 06:25 PM

Spoze you're right about that Dave. But I sure can't afford to stay in cabo. We are out from town a bit on the east cape where life is cheap and the women are willing. At least some times......

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2006 at 07:32 PM
Jefe

Just try getting from San Diego to Loreto these days. It's cheaper to go to Hawaii or New York.......
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 08:36 AM

It,s called greed the air strips charge outrageous fees the mexican airlines are having to make thier planes safe , and seats are not filling up as no one knows if the airline will be in buisness for the return trip . also the san felipe dirt pimps have a charter service from la to san felipe at 300.00 round trip hows that price grab you
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 08:50 AM

But then again, who wants to go to New York?...........
djh
Senior Nomad

Mood: Mellow fellow, plays a yellow cello...

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 09:13 AM
direct action??

Might be time for 3000 Nomads to write, phone or Email (or all 3) the Airlines and let the Airlines know what is felt about the price escalations....

Something to the effect : Your increased prices are DECREASING my use of your airline, thus costing you dollars and loyalty....

An idea.... It seems to me - since Alaska does more flights and is seriously growing that market, they'd be a good one to start with...

Alaska Airlines
Customer Care
P.O. Box 68900 - SEAZI
Seattle, WA 98168

Tel: 1-800-654-5669

Email: http://www.alaskaair.com/www2/help/contacts/HelpCustomerRel....

(copy and paste link, then go to EMAIL post-flight comments)

I wonder if receiving a couple thousand Emails, phone calls, and letters would make a difference....

(Oh boy.... I also wonder how many "Off Topicaholics" are going to jump on my case for suggesting actually doing something - rather than simply ranting and pontificating?

Its all just stuff and some numbers.
A day spent sailing isn\'t deducted from one\'s life.
Peace, Love, and Music
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 10:39 AM

I think the only way the prices will come down is if we get a low-cost airline to take Aero California's place, maybe Avolar or new Aero Cal flights. Then Alaska and (soon) Delta will have to make a choice: get cheaper or get out. Then hope they don't choose getting out, as apparently Aero Mexico did with the San Diego flights. But maybe we will contact Alaska and suggest the prices are making continued participation in their credit card and flyer mile program less attractive compared to other options out there.

Small town flying is often pricey. It used to be subsidized in the USA.

And airfare is not the only thing going up in price in Loreto.

The best, all-around solution: Make More Money!:lol:
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 11:37 AM

Last July. I flew Interjet from Los Cabos to Toluca, (app. 60 km. Northeast of Mexico City), cost was just over $1,000.00 pesos one way + 1, taxi ($20 pesos), 2 hours on the bus ($80 pesos) to connect with my flight from Mx. to Oaxaca on Aviasca for another $1,200 pesos. (sorry on the spelling of the last one). I think it might be an option to look into for someone flying to the Mainland from Baja.

Alma, Interjet, Aviasca and Click are all worth keeping an eye on for deals to beat the big guys, Areomex and Mexicana.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 12:21 PM

the high cost for flying in to some of these airports are due partly to the high landing fees charged buy the airport. sense some of these airports have been privatized. they are aloud to charge what they want for the fees. some such as Loreto have about the same maintenance costs for there runway as other airports that have much more traffic to divide there costs against. hence a big variation in cost.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
the high cost for flying in to some of these airports are due partly to the high landing fees charged buy the airport. sense some of these airports have been privatized. they are aloud to charge what they want for the fees. some such as Loreto have about the same maintenance costs for there runway as other airports that have much more traffic to divide there costs against. hence a big variation in cost.

So what we need is an airline like Aero California that found a way around the landing fees.

They didn't pay them.:biggrin:
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 01:23 PM

What Loreto needs is a Southwest Flight!
Great news here this weekend-President Bush signed into the Law breaking up the Jim Wright Cartel at Dallas Fort Worth- Cheaper and better Flights alround.

I tried to get to La Paz from Phoenix last week-$652.00 RT. What hapened to AeroMexico Flights?
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 02:06 PM

I wonder what affect the disintegration of SunTrips as a charter flight company has had on the major airline's flight prices? It seems that it would be easy for the major airlines to charge more for a flight without the charter companies undercutting them every travel season with cheap flights to Cabo.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 02:46 PM

Airline tickets are sorta like insurance. No matter where or when you want to fly, the cost is maximized due to this or that.:O
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 03:19 PM

I here that Frontier airlines is going to start flying in to Loreto and La Paz. this will be very good :bounce:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 03:55 PM

During the summer, I found roundtrip tickets to Cancun on Delta for $350.00 total cost per ticket. The price was too good to pass up, so my whole family is going. For one weedk, we'll be staying at a property with a private compound of cabanas in Tulum. After that when my mother heads back home, we have reservations at the cheapie palapa cabanas closest to Tulum ruins. After that, we'll head to Isla Holbox for a few nights and then back to Cancun for two nights at an all-inclusive. So there will be no Baja for me this winter. I'm bummed that I won't have my dog with me like I could if we were to drive to Baja. The fact that Camp Gecko is closed helped clinch the deal though. It seems that Cancun airfare should cost a lot more than Baja destinations that are so much closer. I'd rather that the airlines charged by the mile more like the Mexican bus lines. The way it is, it's like charging 50 cents for a Snicker's candy bar but then charging 2 dollars for a Milky Way.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 04:05 PM

Maybe some of you Nomads should start up an airline business:light: Then you could give a Nomads discount.

Zac

Worldtraveller
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 04:05 PM

Let's also hope that oil prices keep coming down. These high oil prices drive up both the cost of driving and the cost of flying

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 04:08 PM

" Let's also hope that oil prices keep coming down. These high oil prices drive up both the cost of driving and the cost of flying'"

But how does that explain how a flight to Cancun is cheaper than a flight 1/3 the distance?
bancoduo
Banned

[*] posted on 10-21-2006 at 04:31 PM

I hear Capt. Mike will fly you anywhere for a six-pack. :wow::lol::lol::lol:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.