Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: baja veteran looking for new breaks
oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 10-22-2006 at 11:47 AM
baja veteran looking for new breaks

I've been surfing baja since 1975 and have recently retired from the San Diego rat race. I used to go to Todos Santos/ San Pedrito / Pescadero at least annually and have had my best surfing experience at 9 palms on the East Cape.

But, alas, south of La Paz no longer interests me, to much development for my tastes.

Now that every day is a Saturday for me, I'm thinking about exploring the "horn" west of Guerro Negro from Bahia de Totugas south to Punta Abreojos and also the Laguna San Ignacio area. I have two goals in mind, a right point or reef longboard break and perhaps purchasing/renting a small lot suitable for a permanent trailer/palapa combo.

Mag bay is a possibility, but it's further away.

I have a Ford F-150 2 wheel drive long bed with a light camper shell and fat tires. I've gotten stuck in the sand many times in baja so I 've learned the hard way about driving close to the beach in remote areas.

Help this old hippie soul surfer and his dog Smiley find once more the baja of years past.

Any info about the area will be appreciated.

Peace and tranquility.

Oldhippie
losfrailes
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good!

[*] posted on 10-22-2006 at 11:52 AM

You might want to explore San Juanico. A bit south, but has a tremendous following amongst the surfing community.

Also called Scorpion Bay.

Good Luck

Here is a decent site dedicated to San Somewhere.

http://juanyjuan.com/

[Edited on 10-22-2006 by losfrailes]
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2006 at 12:02 PM

Sounds like fun Oldhippee!, I say just hit the road, it's hard to steer the car if it aint' movin'. I'm sure you'll come up with a few of your own favorites by the this time next year, good luck!
oldhippie
Banned

Mood: muted

[*] posted on 10-23-2006 at 09:12 AM

Scorpian Bay - been there done that. Last time I was there I had some surf N-zi, bleached blond, fat teenager dropping in on me on practically every wave while Dad took pictures from up above on the cliff. peeed me off. I finally dropped in on the kid, knocked him off his newly dinged board, and read him the riot act. I thought he was going to cry. Later on Dad came to my campsite and thanked me for teaching the kid a lesson.

Maybe the fact that I'm not getting any info about the area I'm interested in is a good sign.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-23-2006 at 10:38 AM

Hey there soul mate...come and visit us and we'll show ya around. I have a hunch you'll like it here. Can't give you more info cause it's secret and the surf cops will be upset...so email me or better yet, tie your horse up to our hitchin post here and we'll fix ya up....

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bajanow
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2006 at 01:47 PM

The search for the perfect Baja surf spot. What a concept. Try the Surf Report by Surfer Magazine and cross check with Google Earth, Baja Almanac and AAA maps. GPS....the list gets long in a hurry. Be sure to include plenty of time...
greg_surfs

[*] posted on 3-20-2007 at 04:40 PM
Me too

I've been chipping away at the top and the bottom for about thirty years and decided this year to take a bite out of the middle. I've got my seventeen y/o son and nephew (don't worry, their both brunettes, skinny, and have learned their surf etiquette from their Hawaiian-schooled pop/uncle) with me and we are going to roll out of Oregon Friday, spend Saturday night at a buddy's house in San Diego and, hopefully, roll under "the Hook" sometime Sunday evening.

Here my plea, surf gods! Olas, olas, olas!
SiReNiTa
Special Correspondent

Mood: Savoring life while saving the world!

[*] posted on 3-20-2007 at 08:26 PM

hehe rookie surfer at your service, take up my moms offer and i will show you the best secret break not yet discovered or...discovered by very few people, it remains local as a manner of saying and is beautiful in every way, the water is a little cold though brrrrr:O

Live life as well as you can,
don\'t regret the things that once made you smile,
learn from your mistakes,
and thank God for every second he gives you upon this earth.

Visit me at
Http://BajaScents.Scentsy.com.mx
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 3-20-2007 at 09:50 PM

Just checked out your developing web site. What a neat place! Any way to obtain more details about availability, cost, location, etc.?

greg_surfs

[*] posted on 3-21-2007 at 09:38 AM
Pancakes?

Can we get some of those killer pancakes if we show up down there next week?
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2007 at 10:27 AM

Greg-
If you don't give her enough notice, you better bring your own strawberries but Shari is a very good cook. Even her french waffle toast is great.

Amigo-
They have a nice rental house at the beach in Asunciion, B&B at their place or camping at their place with available electric, water and dump. They also have a more primitive beach rental house in San Roque. And you can go fishing with Juan !!!
You'll love it !!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-21-2007 at 10:39 AM

Nice write up about Shari and family from 2003: http://www.malindi.com/BahiaAsuncion.html

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

greg_surfs

[*] posted on 3-21-2007 at 12:37 PM

I'm sold. I'll book it today. :)
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-21-2007 at 12:48 PM

Say Greg - check your U2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.