Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: RV Purchase Question
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 10-25-2006 at 03:19 PM

Thanks meme the road treks are 80000 or so but there some used
sportmobile vans that can be had pretty reasonably less than 20 grand fairly late model less than 50,000 miles i will just keep a eye on the sportsmobile web site . are you still down in san felipe ? i am going to try and get thier for the race jim
Timbercrete
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2006 at 06:40 AM

Hook,

She really likes a 5er with a rear kitchen. Montana has one with some gadgetry that she found appealing. I do think since we are really unsure of our needs, that we will buy used and try it for a year or two and then settle into and new something.

\"He, who farts in church,
Must sit in own pew\"
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-26-2006 at 07:09 AM

have you thought of renting different types/models for a long weekend....develop your purchase ideas or "dream sheet" from your rental experiences.

[Edited on 10-26-2006 by bajaguy]
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 10-26-2006 at 07:46 AM

Best thing I did before buying our travel trailer was buy a book on buying an RV: I just did a search at the RV Bookstore and they even have them in download digital format. It saved me a ton of money and gave me a great advantage when I went buying. One other thing. if you go to Beaudry anywhere, keep your credit card in your pocket when they ask, it took an hour for me to get mine back.

http://rvbookstore.com/shop/search.aspx?st=buying&submit...

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
chino
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2006 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
have you thought of renting different types/models for a long weekend....develop your purchase ideas or "dream sheet" from your rental experiences.

[Edited on 10-26-2006 by bajaguy]

Word!
This would have saved me alot of time and money.
I am now looking at an outfitter camper and plan to drive back to Colorado and put one on my truck for a day or two,
good advice bajaguy!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-26-2006 at 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Timbercrete
Hook,

She really likes a 5er with a rear kitchen. Montana has one with some gadgetry that she found appealing. I do think since we are really unsure of our needs, that we will buy used and try it for a year or two and then settle into and new something.

I have been in many RK 5ers, including the Montana. Yes, it is a nice layout. Aren't slide-outs nice!

But more than anything, an RV with no drivetrain to worry about is an excellent candidate to buy used.

One way of saving money is to look OUTSIDE of California if you are living here. I find much better prices in Nevada and AZ. Search RV traderonline and you can designate price, location, keywords and get pretty dialed in.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2006 at 10:10 AM

If you're considering a Class C, you can't go wrong with a LD. http://www.lazydaze.com/

That's a 30' at their website front page.

I have a '02 26.5' Mid-bath and have never had problems with it. They are made in Monclair, CA (near Ontario).

If you want new, you need to place an order with the options you want. Took 7 months from the time I placed the order to pickup. They are good about repairs and back their product.

There is a large Lazy Daze group that get's together every year. Resale is high for an RV. This RV is also quality made.

They aren't cheap though and think they're staring around $80,000 now and the 30' is more. High end but sometimes you get what you pay for.

:cool:
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2006 at 11:56 PM

We purchased our 06 Winnebago View and love it. We spent three weeks in Hells Canyon in temps of 115 towing our 15' boat. We have just spent six weeks in British Columbia on very bad roads, again towing our boat, and it worked like a champ. It is very comfortable for the two of us. We did manage to shake some drawers loose, fixed by putting two latches on each door, and a couple of bezels dropped off of light fixtures after a particularly grueling trip down a bad washboard, but those were simply put back where they belong and we are good to go. I would expect these minor problems from any new motor home driven in very rough conditions. I think the View/Navion are very well made.

As far as engine problems we did encounter a problem with the Turbo Resonator, a muffler for the turbo, and it was replaced under warrenty.

We are planning a two/three month trip down the Baja and over to the mainland starting in mid Dec. I think this unit will be great down there. The only question I have is repairs if needed. I don't know if Mercedes Benz/Dodge Sprinter is in Mexico. If anyone knows this, I would appreciate knowing.

We looked at literally hundreds of RVs. We took our time really thinking about how we would use it and what we needed. I would encourage you to do this. Go to RV shows and sit various configurations and envision yourself in the place you would use it. Take your time. Not all RVs are equal. For instance, water is the nemisis of RV owners. I would never purchase one without it having a solid top that fits over the side walls. The fewer seams, the better.

By the time many people can afford RVs they are older. Many people outfit their RVs to the max. They fantasize about going out on the road, but then their health interferes. One of the partners becomes infirm and can''t be on the road etc. There are lots and lots of excellent used RVs out there. One must take the time and look. Arizona is supposed to be a good place to buy. Lots of folks go to places like Quartzite and don't even want to drive them home. I met a fellow with a million dollar Monarch who upon seeing our rig at a remote lake said he would trade in his Monarch when he got home. He hadn't really thought through his real needs. Many people are trading down to smaller rigs, though the most common trade is to a larger rig.

I have talked with folks who have the late model Ford engines and love them. We decided on the diesel View because of the fuel economy, long life and reliability of a diesel. Again it was something we thought through carefully. We purchased new because we could. An RV can be written off as a second home and our situation allowed us to do just that. In the end the cost will be appreciably less due to the tax write offs for the purchase made over time. Depreciation starts as one leaves the parking lot of the dealer. The View is holding it's price well but one can lose ten thousand the first year on depreciation alone. Buying new can be very expensive.

Take your time, really think about what you really want and how you will actually use it.

Iflyfish
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.