Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Marcos
SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2006 at 08:00 AM
Marcos

Is there reason to fear this guy? Have any of you heard things in your communities?

http://www.narconews.com/Issue43/article2182.html
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2006 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SDRonni
Is there reason to fear this guy? Have any of you heard things in your communities?

http://www.narconews.com/Issue43/article2182.html

Reason to fear? And what have we heard in our communities?

If you're talking about the expat community, in Loreto it's not the radicals like Marcos and the poor that are making us uneasy, it's the impact of wealthy developers and the crime that follows...with some allegations that burglaries and armed robberies have been committed by individuals brought from the mainland by developers.

I haven't heard any buzz about Marcos; he's not from around here and the locals don't hold much stock in him. But give the developers a few more years to bring thousands more poor mainlanders over here for jobs that don't come through, or don't pay what is promised, with substandard "housing" below expectations. Then maybe the rhetoric of Marcos will find a larger audience.

This is from emails circulated to expats in Loreto, and from a Loreto expat web site:

Quote:
A meeting was held today at the municipal regarding the recent burglaries in Loreto. The meeting was to take place with Mayor Rury but he was held up in a previous meeting. Therefore, Dr. Collins heard our concerns and gave us the following information.

Mayor Rury is very concerned about the recent robberies taken place here in Loreto. There are more robberies committed on homes where the owners are gone for the summer or several weeks at a time (some take place with people present). Mayor Rury has obtained a new Chief of Police. There will be more patrols at night and some will be stationary in unmarked cars to watch for unusual activity. Dr. Collins will talk to Mayor Rury about the accountability that Loreto Bay Company has for the employees that are no longer working for them or were brought here and never hired. The possibility of more lights being installed in areas where individuals hang out to do drugs and case houses will be addressed. Clearings can be made in areas where undesirable people have been sleeping, eating, etc. Dr. Collins also stated that there have been more robberies in Nopolo during this past week. Concern was made during the meeting that more emphasis should be made on night patrol and not five police officers in one truck giving out parking tickets during the day. Dr. Collins feels the new Police Chief will do his best to address all issues. They are also looking into the possibility of having a special number to call to report unusual activity around homes. However, it will be crucial that this reporting is handled very quickly and consistently. Dr. Collins explained that for individuals to be prosecuted for thefts and break-ins, they must be caught in the act. This makes it very hard to control the crime. Dr. Collins also stated that future concerns should be brought to the attention of Jesus Jacques, Director of Tourism, so that he can share our concerns with Mayor Rury.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2006 at 09:02 AM

He drew a crowd of a whopping 250 people during his visit to Tijuana, a city of 3.5 million, and some say almost half of them are part of his staff. The rest where Che Guevara wannabe pot heads and curious students from California.

Marcos is a joke in Mexico.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 10-25-2006 at 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE

If this guy can close down entire businesses and states for days, then he is no joke. He is a serious threat to the "establishment" in Mexico.

Whether that's good or bad, depends on your perspective.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2006 at 03:27 PM

Hook; Take it from an "Ole Timer" He is a Joke in Baja Sur.
He is a Joke in his on little place in Southern Mexico.
The extreme Left Liberals in Mexico City who supply him with Money and Push are being overtaken by the Nut from Brazil.
Skeet
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2006 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:

If this guy can close down entire businesses and states for days, then he is no joke. He is a serious threat to the "establishment" in Mexico.

Whether that's good or bad, depends on your perspective. [/quote

Minumum wage in Baja (San Quintin) is 100 pesos a day?

Only people who should be nervous in that area is white landowners.

Union would benefit these people too.

Maros might run for office one day. Then, (white) people should be nervous.

:cool::cool:

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 10-25-2006 at 06:13 PM
Don Alley

Are the developers treating the young kids from the mainland like slaves as they used to do in Baja Norte? Hovels to bunk in, slop for food, and charging half a days wage for an apple and an orange juice. And with little or no medical care. Our crime rate used to go up because of the forgoing. When the kids were moved the petty thefts went back down.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2006 at 12:07 AM

Here is an article I found that was linked off the narconews site (but not a narconews article).

It would seem to give a pretty impartial analysis of the rise of the left since the Salinas election of 88. It attempts to describe the waltz of C. Card##as, Lopez Obrador and Marcos.

Impartial, if you exclude some pointed criticism of Fox.

Jesse, i'd be interested to hear your opinion of this article. Do YOU feel the election of 2006 was stolen, even though your favored candidate, Calderon, won and the "defeat" of L.O. created another window of stability in Mexico?

http://www.newleftreview.net/?page=article&view=2633
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2006 at 08:59 AM

Quote:
Here is an article I found that was linked off the narconews site (but not a narconews article).

It would seem to give a pretty impartial analysis of the rise of the left since the Salinas election of 88. It attempts to describe the waltz of C. Card##as, Lopez Obrador and Marcos.

Jesse, i'd be interested to hear your opinion of this article. Do YOU feel the election of 2006 was stolen, even though your favored candidate, Calderon, won and the "defeat" of L.O. created another window of stability in Mexico?

Not sure I would call it "impartial." Nor does the "New Left Review" sound like it is making any claims to be "Fair and Balanced.":biggrin:

But it is an interesting article, with many specific charges.

I remain somewhat confused over the methods used by the election court to settle the dispute and resolve that the election fairly elected Calderon. I'm not saying those methods were unfair or corrupt, just that after having read several accounts of the process I just don't understand what they were doing. And I can't help but be skeptical of close and disputed elections where the (to me) most obvious task-recount the actual ballots-is prohibited because of some law or court ruling.

It's also not a good sign when ballots are found in the dump.:o

Having said all that, while I may not have too much dog in this fight, I was not impressed by the "populist" campaign of AMLO, nor am I impressed by the PRD governor here in BCS ("More of Everything for Everybody!"). I favored Calderon.

I wish good luck to Calderon and hope he and Mexico have prosperous times ahead.
Bajalero
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-26-2006 at 09:41 AM
Welcome to Loreto (bay)

What a pitiful shame Loreto has become . In just a few years it has gone from a quiet little baja town to one racked with crime and Meth heads roaming the streets and breaking into (the nice) houses at night.

Its pretty clear the expats there are aware of what the source of the problem is .

Coming to your town next

(QUOTE)

"A meeting was held today at the municipal regarding the recent burglaries in Loreto. The meeting was to take place with Mayor Rury but he was held up in a previous meeting. Therefore, Dr. Collins heard our concerns and gave us the following information.

Mayor Rury is very concerned about the recent robberies taken place here in Loreto. There are more robberies committed on homes where the owners are gone for the summer or several weeks at a time (some take place with people present). Mayor Rury has obtained a new Chief of Police. There will be more patrols at night and some will be stationary in unmarked cars to watch for unusual activity. Dr. Collins will talk to Mayor Rury about the accountability that Loreto Bay Company has for the employees that are no longer working for them or were brought here and never hired. The possibility of more lights being installed in areas where individuals hang out to do drugs and case houses will be addressed. Clearings can be made in areas where undesirable people have been sleeping, eating, etc. Dr. Collins also stated that there have been more robberies in Nopolo during this past week. Concern was made during the meeting that more emphasis should be made on night patrol and not five police officers in one truck giving out parking tickets during the day. Dr. Collins feels the new Police Chief will do his best to address all issues. They are also looking into the possibility of having a special number to call to report unusual activity around homes. However, it will be crucial that this reporting is handled very quickly and consistently. Dr. Collins explained that for individuals to be prosecuted for thefts and break-ins, they must be caught in the act. This makes it very hard to control the crime. Dr. Collins also stated that future concerns should be brought to the attention of Jesus Jacques, Director of Tourism, so that he can share our concerns with Mayor Rury."
SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2006 at 09:40 AM

http://www.narconews.com/Issue43/article2217.html

Is this movement gathering steam? Makes me nervous as a new condo owner in Baja........
Is this movement the same or different as what is going on in Oaxaca? I don't get it....there are too many players....
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2006 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Whether that's good or bad, depends on your perspective.

He can't, the Zapatista rebelion happened in 1994, he has since lost most of his credibility and nobody takes him serious anymore. Like i said, 250 people in a city of 3 million says a lot.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-29-2006 at 11:43 AM

Quote:

All of the supposed "irregularities" have been proven false. For example, OBrador was in the lead but lost narrowly at the end. it might seem strange to some, but theres a logic explanation for that. The vote count starts once polls start to close, and the first polls that start to close are in southern Mexico because of time diferences with the north, so naturally 1st we get the votes from the south who is heavyly pro OBrador, but at the very end, the votes from Baja, sinaloa, and sonora came in, and those where pro Calderon.

In my opinion, the vote was the cleanest and most fair we have ever had.

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 10:11 PM

Quote:
Quote:

All of the supposed "irregularities" have been proven false. For example, OBrador was in the lead but lost narrowly at the end. it might seem strange to some, but theres a logic explanation for that. The vote count starts once polls start to close, and the first polls that start to close are in southern Mexico because of time diferences with the north, so naturally 1st we get the votes from the south who is heavyly pro OBrador, but at the very end, the votes from Baja, sinaloa, and sonora came in, and those where pro Calderon.

So clean that they dont need to bother with things like retaining the ballots or letting the media inspect them, huh?

I guess the "cleanest and most fair" is a rather relative description. :smug:

[Edited on 11-1-2006 by Hook]
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 10:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So clean that they dont need to bother with things like retaining the ballots or letting the media inspect them, huh?

I guess the "cleanest and most fair" is a rather relative description. :smug:

[Edited on 11-1-2006 by Hook]

Retaining the ballots was something that was unanimously rejected by all political parties including the PRD when they created that particular law. If they don't like the law, vote against it. I am against breaking the laws, and if the law is changed and next time we can legally keep them, its the same to me.

Every single ballot is online for all to see, and the media did have all the access they wanted to them.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.