Caliterra reserva Cabernet Sauvignon 2005

Price: 95 pesos

Where: This one is widely available in most large supermarkets

[Edited on 11-1-2006 by JESSE]

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 08:55 PM

Will they have the Trio in the Ensenada area???
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 08:57 PM

Look for it at Calimax or Gigante, even Soriana might have it.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 09:00 PM
Gato Negro

A great Chilean wine is Gato Negro, Cab-Merlot blend, however have only been able to find it at certain Trader Joe's stores
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
A great Chilean wine is Gato Negro, Cab-Merlot blend, however have only been able to find it at certain Trader Joe's stores

Here in La Paz they have it in CCC.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 09:44 PM

Jesse....how would you compare the Gato Negro Cab-Merlot blend with the Treo????
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Jesse....how would you compare the Gato Negro Cab-Merlot blend with the Treo????

Gato Negro is a good everyday wine, but TRIO is special. I have yet to find a 99 peso wine that even comes close to TRIO. The flavors, the aromas, and the smooth tannins that you get with TRIO are more common in wine costing twice that much.

If you try it, remember theres two versions. The Merlot, Carmenere, and Cabernet Sauvignon blend (my favorite). And the Cabernet, Shiraz, Cabernet Franc.

"When Trio’s individual components are tasted, their distinct characteristics can be appreciated. But when they are blended, a new element is born, something appears that was not present in the three previous tastings. That is the magic of wine, it is not a mathematical formula. This new element is the result of wine’s magic qualities”

-Wine Spectator awarded 90 and 91 points -

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 07:35 AM

Thanks....I'm going for the Merlot blend:bounce::bounce::P
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 11-1-2006 at 08:07 AM

Has there ever been a Nomads wine tasting/GV tour? I vaguely recall some talk of it awhile back.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2007 at 01:27 AM
2001 Merryvale Starmont Cabernet Sauvignon

I usually keep away from most american Cabernets because the good stuff is usually very expensive. Or at least, its expensive here in Baja. But this Cabernet is not too expensive and has become a personal favorite with steaks and lamb. This wine is medium bodied, fruity, with wonderful tanins that play in your mouth. You can find it in Cabo or La Paz and it will run you about 400 pesos, not expensive if you consider that the quality of this wine is similar to wines that cost up to 3 times its price.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2007 at 01:34 AM
2002 Monte Xanic Gran Ricardo

Monte Xanic is not one of my favorite Mexican wineries, i think quality has gone down in the past 5 years, and prices are too high for the quality of their wines. The recent release of their Malbec is a disaster in my opinion, but thats another story. Gran Ricardo is the only good wine thats coming out from Monte Xanic these days. This is a wine that has been around for many many years, but only in magnum size, so most of us rarely had a chance to taste it. Recently they decided to sale it .750ml size (a good idea) and now people are getting a chance to try it more often. Gran Ricardo is a French blend of Cabernet, Cabernet Franc, and Merlot. This is a fine wine, and opulent wine, with silky tannins, and a long finish that makes it very atractive. Its only drawback its the now too popular saltiness exibited in most Baja wines, but if your willing to overlook that, this is general is a good solid wine at 500 pesos a bottle.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2007 at 01:45 AM
2003 Passion Ojos Negros

This is another top Mexican wine, expensive, but very opulent and elegant with the traditional french style most good Mexican wines show these days. Passion is a Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot blend, the wine is medium bodied, with wonderful aromas of raspberries, oak, a little vanilla, and some green pepper ( my opinion). The price tag for this wine is a little expensive, $750.00 pesos a bottle, and its worth it, but i can see why most people stay away from top Mexican reds when theres other wines that are very good. Non the less, i have plenty of top Mexican reds lovers, and they all seem to love this one.

danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 2-22-2007 at 07:28 PM

Jesse - check U2U.
rob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-24-2007 at 04:09 PM
DAILY WINE

Just found this thread. Two comments

- I once brought in a case of (US) wine through Tecate, and like a good resident, attempted to decalre it and pay excess duty. The customs guy pointed to a large sign on the wall which said (among other things) that if you bring guns, ammunition, second hand tires, second hand clothing or WINE in to Mexico, you will be executed or such lesser penalty. He told me it was flat out ILLEGAL to bring more than your allowance, and there was no legal way I could import it without an liquor import license (gotta get one of those). We looked at each other for a moment, and he told me to get out of there and not to put him in such a position again . .

- a good daily "plonk" (nothing special, just for supper) as we used to call it in Australia and South Africa is "Pampas" a dry white from Argentina at $5-$6 a bottle in Europea (Cabo) and Cava in La Paz.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2007 at 06:05 PM
Monkey Bay Sauvignon Blanc

Crisp, refreshing, and one of my favorite Sauvignon Blancs. It is pale with a bouquet of guava and tropical fruit, a fine example of New Zealand Sauvignon B.

15 bucks at Europea

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2007 at 06:11 PM
Rosemount estate traminer-riesling

Delicious blend with tons of fruity melon

15 bucks at Cava Patron

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2007 at 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
15 bucks at Europea

Europa... where's that?

--Larry

Its in Cabo, they have two locations, one at the marina, and the other on the road to San Jose.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-21-2007 at 12:40 PM
Last evening's vino...Double Dog Dare

Well, when I saw these at Trader Joe's in Pacific Bch, I couldn't resist that label name. And you know something..?.. the wine is pretty darn good.

Of course, it might have been the excellent company also...and the view....and the chili rellenos made by a visiting master chef...or the before...in-between and after margaritas..

Anyhoo...it was a fine merlot. It even had a cork. Bottled by Double Dog Cellars, Ripon, Ca. Retails at $7, and you can get a discount on a case.

Seriously, this is a good merlot. You will like it. 6 of 6 of us did last night.

[Edited on 4-21-2007 by Pompano]

-0 (1) (Medium) (Large).jpg - 37kB

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2007 at 04:01 PM

Can we buy it here in Baja Pompano?

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-21-2007 at 04:06 PM

Jesse, I don't know just where it might be available in Baja Sur, but like most things these days, it probably is. I will check some sources and post back here on the wine thread. It really was quite good.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.