Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Postscript: Motorhomes and Guns in Baja
ferdic1
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2003 at 06:20 PM
Postscript: Motorhomes and Guns in Baja

Since I posted my narrative, Bliss and Bandidos in Baja, I?ve been through quite an education in both the responses it received on this site and in my reading of others? postings in other sections and on another site (specifically, ?Regarding Military Checkpoints? at Baja Travelers Message Board at http://math.ucr.edu/~ftm/bajaPages/MsgBoard/MsgBoard.html).

In my original posting I told how rattled we were by the lack of law enforcement in Baja?s wilder places and the appearance of an aggressive individual who seemed determined to rob us, but for the presence of our two large dogs. I said that because of this I wouldn?t hesitate to bring a handgun next time, because of the myriad places in a motorhome a handgun could be hidden with total assurance it couldn?t be found by the Mexican soldiers we saw at all checkpoints we passed through.

I?m still certain of that latter point. But I?ve had a change of heart. Everything I?ve read on all Baja sites convinces me that our experience outside Santa Rosalia was an aberration, caused substantially by my own ignorance.

Yes, there doubtless are bandidos (or as my instructor Jesse said, asaltantes) in Baja. But no, you don?t need and should not have a handgun to handle them.

Think what might have happened had I used a handgun in the situation I described. At best, I would have brandished it to force our way out of the confrontation, a report to the Federales would have been made, and before we could have gotten out of Mexico, we would have been intercepted and thrown into a Mexican prison for 10 years, on the spot. At worst, I could have shot or killed somebody and would have spent the rest of my life in a Mexican prison.

The chances of being exposed to such an incident again are, I am convinced, very tiny and well worth taking for what else Baja has to offer all who, like us, love it for what it is. To come back with a gun safely hidden in a motorhome is just not worth it, even if the risk is one in a trillion.

Why approach Baja in such a frame of mind? It?s crazy.

Mexico generally, and Baja in particular, is far safer, simpler, happier and more innocent than most places in the U.S. that I know.

This is not to denigrate the good old USA in any way. Ours is a very sophisticated, rich, technologically and culturally advanced culture. But we have a lot of societal baggage ? and private danger ? to go along with that.

Yes, there are asaltantes in Baja. So we will watch out for them.

But we see no need to sneak in a gun, even with 100% assurance that we won?t be found out.

It would destroy what we come to Baja to find and to celebrate.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-19-2003 at 06:34 PM

BRAVO!!!

Please continue to share your wisdoms and learnings from travels in Baja!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2003 at 07:08 PM
Packing

Ferdic1 - I always used to tote a hidden firearm burried somewhere in the truck or motor home whenever we went for extended trips in the Baja outback. I had a shotgun burried even, but never had a purpose for it except coyotes which merged into our environment anyway and almost became friends. I quit the gun play many years ago. It was just too much worry for no purpose. You have come to the same conclusion. Ah, great minds...

By the way, I'm in the middle of your extended trip report and enjoying it very much.
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2003 at 07:10 PM
Handguns a No No

I realize that the checkpoints don't seem to do a very thorough search. But, I have seen them take apart motorhomes and trucks and would not chance it. Besides, suspose you were attacked by bandits, and you shot them. You would go to jail for doing it. Take some pepper spray or a zapper with you. You don't want to end up in a mexican jail. I have seen the inside of the one south of Santa Rosalia and its not a very nice place. I enjoyed your trip report and hope that when you go again you will write of your experiences as we all learn when we share.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2003 at 07:31 PM

On many occasions in the past i have taken my shotgun in my airplane and used it up at San Nicolas. Going through Mexicali and into Loreto with out being searched. That being said things have changed now and DO NOT BRING ANY WEAPONS INTO BAJA;

Several years ago I was with my Father-in-Law in his Motor Home. I had taken my 38 in a Hostler and hidden it in a small closet,we went all the way to La Paz and was back to San Iganico when a soldier came out of the vehicle carrying the Pistol and ask if I had a permit. I replied 'No" and he said that I must have a permit, so he gave me a receipt with his name rank,and Barracks in La Paz and told me i would have to Go to La Paz and get a receipt and then go to his Commander for my gun. I thanked him for the information and went on my way,never to see the gun again.

At that time I knew of a smmugler who was bringing in as many as 100 guns a month hidden inside of old Typewriters,they were going mostly to southern Mexico.

Please do not ever take a gun a good Dog is much better!Skeet/Loreto
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2003 at 07:40 PM

Skeet is right, and you can't snuggle with a gun either.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2003 at 07:41 PM

I conclude with the wise men that have already posted. Guns and Baja do not mix.

The only problems I have ever had have been in populated areas or in the vicinity. Nothing major just a break-in. That's one of the major reasons I prefer the outback. The people look out for one another.

Stay alert and be cautious and you'll be fine.

Happy trails! Zac

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2003 at 07:53 PM

Hey Pack! You still talking to me?thought you may be mad with me!Alll those deletes! I was trying to delete all the responses and hit all of them off. Seems as I have two left. Any way hope you got you info back. Boy those people sure like to talk bad about an ole Skeet. Well their little minds need to be stimulated .Skeet/Loreto
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2003 at 08:05 PM

I read your U2U. Everything is cool. If I was going to get mad for losing something I wrote, I would have thrown this coumputer out the window for all it has done to what I have written. I found out that I have that British essay on the political systems on floppy. Come Jan. I will repost it if necessary. In fact, it is probably for the best that everything blew up. I have thought about what is really important, and it aint no political essays; that's for sure. Did you get the U2U that I sent you? (If not, I will resend it to you.)

[Edited on 11/21/2003 by Packoderm]
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2003 at 08:45 PM
An Old Story re Coyotes

I've told this story before but can't remember where I posted it.

We were living at Las Cuevitas, north of Bahia de Los Angeles and had a small bamboo hut with no door closure. Michael and Kevin were 7 and 5 then. After we'd been there for a month or so the coyotes started raiding our camp at night. There was no other soul within miles and we had chickens, a goat and a burro. We were worried about the livestock at night, and the boys as they roamed the nearby hills during the days.

Eventually the coyotes grew more and more comfortable with us and were starting to come directly into camp at night. I thought they were trying to raid the coop but they were just after water. Our process was to download water from 15 gallon jugs into a number of 1 gallon plastic bottles for convenience in cooking, etc. We kept many of these between our hut and the coop, some 20 feet distant.

The coyotes came in almost every night. They actually learned to unscrew the bottle caps, turn the jugs on their sides and drink.

Well, I didn't have a problem with coyotes, but their attitude irked me so I cut a small 2-inch square hole in the bamboo siding beside my cot that looked directly at the point where we kept the water. I rested my shotgun there, c-cked it as I went to sleep and was hoping to scare the hell out of our thieves with double-aught buckshot.

Whenever I had my shotgun in position through the hole in the bamboo the coyotes would stay away. Now I was really peeed and I positioned our Land Cruiser wagon with the back open and looking directly at the water area. I spent most of the night waiting in the Land Cruiser. No coyotes came around that night. I stumbled off to the hut and bed around three in the morning. But...

Just before dawn I heard the damn coyotes working our water. I grabbed the shotgun, jammed it into the hole I'd cut, aimed at the black object in the yard and squeezed off a shell of 12 gauge shot. I knew I'd hit the sneaky thief, grabbed my flashlight and ran outside to see what damage I'd done.

All I'd hit was a six gallon can of boat gasoline. If I'd have penetrated that can, likely we'd have been in for a hell of a ride. Fortunately, it was an old can and of thicker constructions than the current ones. Beside all that I really don?t like killing things. I?d have felt terrible. I wrote another story later, after I?d aged considerably, about a wounded coyote mother trying to get home to her pups in a distant burrow somewhere in the desert. Now I don?t even like killing ants. That was the last time I took a weapon to Baja.

Leave your guns at home, boys. All they will serve to do is make any danger worse. If not that, then you?ll make a fool out of yourself. My boys still laugh whenever they remember how dad was going to get those damn coyotes.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2003 at 09:23 AM
Gringo paranoia, guns n motorhomes

Living in Rosarito and having lived in the U.S., I can understand yalls being scared.
But, if you were to go to "Baja" rather than Gringo enclaves in Baja, you would find there is absolutely no reason to be worried or carry a weapon of any sort. Especially when they are so willing to lend you theirs should you get a hankerin fer some Machaca de Venado!
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2003 at 10:57 AM

Amen to all that. Plus, if you come to Baja fearful of getting robbed, getting lost, whatever--then you're going to be scared, suspicious and uncomfortable while you're here.

Next time, ferd, try to hang a bit looser.

- Lera

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.