Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Diesel Availability?
Janice
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2006 at 10:42 PM
Diesel Availability?

We have a new (to us) F250 diesel pick-up with cab-over camper to take this year. Do most Pemex stations have diesel avaiable also? Does the one in BOLA have it?
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2006 at 10:48 PM

Many have it. Look for the black sign at the Pemex.
Yes, they have diesel in BLA.
Get fuel in El Rosario and you will make BLA easy with a single 34 gal or 2-18 gallon tanks.
My '04 F350 6.0L makes it easily. So did my '94 F250 7.3L.
Janice
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-30-2006 at 10:53 PM

Thanks Diver. I've never paid enough attention on previous trips, so it's good to know. I can't wait to convert to used veggie oil...then we will be asking where to find the next fish taco stand!;)
aha baja
Nomad

Mood: wherever you go, there you are...

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 05:29 AM

Veggie oil has to be refined through a rather legnthy process. Problably not an option in Mexico (ANYWHERE IN MEXICO) Diesel is still about $1.85 there soooooo. PS Bahia de LA will soon have a second Pemex but I think they only really have enough traffic for one station:biggrin:

[Edited on 01-19-2004 by aha baja]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 06:56 AM

We can drive from El Rosario to Upland CA (2 1/2 hours above the border) and still have 1/8 tank left.

Our tank is 32 gallons...

Never run a diesel out of gas....you'll have problems....

When we cross we let the tank get low and fill up just before the second toll road because the diesel is a LOT LESS in baja.

oh yea...the bathrooms a very clean in the AM PM market there

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 07:04 AM

The Auto Club map of baja identifies all of the Pemex stations and also which ones have diesel.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 07:07 AM

They're beer could be a bit colder and that is really important.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 07:12 AM

janet,not all stations have diesel but if they do its usualy on the side or back for easy acess to big trucks. BOLA does have diesel but fill up in el rasario on the way down just in case. on big weekends they do run out so allways keep gerry cans full when you can.:coolup:
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 07:44 AM

Handy diesel fueling stops on Baja Road while driving south:

1. Just south of Ensenada look for newer stations with 'black' diesel signs.
2. San Quentin (about 185 miles from US border)
3. El Rosario
4. Guerro Negro near monument and army base
5. Vizcaino
6. Mulege on highway south of city
7. Loreto (on turnoff to downtown area)
8. Ciudad Constituccion
9. La Paz
10. Cabo, etc...Gringolandia

there are more places to get diesel than the ones I listed above, but this will get you to where you want to be without running out. Top off where and when you can. Good travels.

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
Summanus
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 08:17 AM

Following or passing a diesel running veggie oil makes me hungry for french fries and a fish taco. Bring it on!

Summanus....ancient Roman Nightly Thunder God. He liked refrieds too.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 08:21 AM

I remember the days going south with my '69 F100 with the 390 and 3-on-a-tree. With the 20 gallon truck tank, I needed at least 5 gas cans to make it through Baja at 8 mpg. That was always an adventure ! Filtering through a rag in the middle of no-where was the norm.

I have never had trouble finding diesel in Baja even when the stations have been out of gas. We stopped carrying cans after the first year with a diesel.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 12:23 PM

i took a couple of 5 gal cans when we went to mulege after the hurricane.
i had heard some stations were out of desiel.

ALL had diesel....
I filled them in el rosario...

remember diesel STINKS!!!
the back of the truck sure smelled
every time i get near the pump i end up smelling like diesel
i saw a guy two trips ago that used disposal plastic gloves
i might look into a box of those things

I wouldn't take cans at this time but only if you think you are entering at a time of emergencys

Almost ALL of the BIG stations have diesel...thats how the truckers get up and down the coast

our website is:
Janice
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 01:02 PM

Thanks for all of your replies. I figured with the number of big rigs on the hwy, that diesel would not be a problem, but I wanted to get input anyway.

We have a older Mercedes that we have converted to run on used veggie oil. All we have to do is filter it and pour it in. My hubby did the conversion himself and it works great. It's the main reason we bought the F250 diesel, but we did not have the time to convert it before this trip.

Yes, the MBZ does smell like french fries, or fish & chips, or whatever else the oil was used for. We had a sticker on the back warning people that tailgating could cause hunger pains!
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 01:10 PM

Diver: My old '87 F-250 with the 460 and the cab-over was the KING of fuel consumption. One trip we topped up both tanks in Villa Jesus Maria and set off into a brutal headwind. We arrived in El Rosario with VAPOR in the last tank.

Man oh man do I love my Dodge Cummins turbo with the Bully Dog chip! 20.4 with the same camper and a light trailer driving the speed limit.

I should make the R/T from NorCal on six 35 gal. fills this year. At almost a dollar off a gallon in Baja, I'm looking forward to SMILING thru' my fill-ups for a change!

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
aha baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-31-2006 at 08:13 PM

My thought is that if your looking for veggie cooking oil in Mexico for fuel you might get lucky in the bigger cities...OR NOT and as far as the smaller towns like EL ROSARIO, good luck! Just finding regular diesel at times can be a pain. Just think of how it might be to convience a restaurant owner in baja to part with perfectly good two month old fryer oil:lol:
Janice
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2006 at 10:51 PM

"Just think of how it might be to convience a restaurant owner in baja to part with perfectly good two month old fryer oil"

Right...and with the funny looks we get here in the states when we asked for used oil, I can imagine how hard it would be for people to understand me (and my crappy Spanish) in Baja.

I wondered what they do with their used oil...my husband thinks that they probably mix it in with scraps and feed it to the animals!
aha baja
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2006 at 07:04 AM

But think how everybody will try to identify WHAT was fried in the oil!!!!! Any and everything from camerones to papas fritas, pescado you name it. In fact you can have a game with friends called "name that stink" Have prizes for the best guesser:D:D:lol::bounce::lol::D:D
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-5-2006 at 07:07 AM

i'm in...:lol:

our website is:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.